My dream amp is definitely the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Unfortunately in Europe (I'm Portuguese) those go for a little over 600€. I need a cheaper alternative and so I found the Super Champ XD. It costs 300€ (half as the other one). So I'm wondering if it's worth it. I know I should go and try it but I gave to drive quite a distance to do so, so before I go I would like to know if it's worth it. Bare in mind that I play Alt Rock (Interpol, The National, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, etc...). It say's it's 15W valve. Here's a link to description: http://www.lismusica.pt/?product=4350

If there alternatives to the hot rod deluxe better than this (even if other brands) that go in the 200-450€ price range I'm open to them.

So opinions please and thank you.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
Personally. I'd rather have a SuperChamp XD or even a Blues Jr over an HRD and that would even be if the prices were all equal. Not sure of the conversion rate (too laze to look it up on xe.com) but I would also look at the Egnater Tweaker or maybe the Rebel.
The Super Champ XD has awesome cleans, ok dirty cleans, and pretty bad overdrive. It is pretty decent for the money though. You would have to save up a bit more money for the Tweaker or the Rebel. Bugera v22 maybe?
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
The conversions don't matter at all. If it costs 400$ in the U.S. it probably costs about 400€. Yeah I know we get ripped.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

* hits X button*

The bugera looks interesting and quite cheap. Where can I listen to how it sounds?
Quote by Sinister Waffle

* hits X button*

^check youtube and netmusicians.org

I disagree that the SuperChamp has bad OD tones. It can pull off what you play easily. For $300 it is hard to beat. I have heard good things about the Bugera V series but I've never played one.

Look used and save up are usually my suggestions.
What do you guys think about this one http://www.netads.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/Lab/
Quote by Sinister Waffle

* hits X button*

I own a Super Champ XD and I love it.

I almost purchased a Hot Rod Deville 410 but when I heard the Champ it was a no brainer. It's clean channel is just as good as any Fender amp below 1k. Of course over 1K and it's a different league. My Champ has as good a clean as my friends HRD and it's almost as loud. If you want pure tube tone then just use the clean channel with an OD or Distortion pedal and your good to go. I use a MXR Classic Distortion for OD and Big Muff for fuzz and it's pretty awesome.

The 2nd channel uses some solid state tech to create different voices. It tries to emulate different types of amps from American amps to British amps with varying levels of gain. It's a pretty easy amp to get a ton of usable tones out of. I have had no issues and I play my amp at every Thursday and Sunday.

It's solid and has some good weight to it. I think for the money it's the best amp in it's class. I honestly believe it's one of the best sub $1000.00 amp that Fender makes. It is for sure the best 15 watt amp under $500.00 you can buy brand new. Used is of course a different story.

The only other amp I would buy that is only 15 watts is the Egnater Tweaker. But now your getting close to $600.00 again.

I say, get the XD and save up for a good OD pedal like a Tube Screamer or the Classic Distortion. Again, for the price tag brand new it's unbeatable.
Okay I've heard this amp on youtube and I'm sold. At the very least I'll try it myself. Just one final question: is it loud enough to play with a band? I have a 75W Randall amp and I never go above 5 when playing in a band setting. Will this do to play with drums?
Quote by Sinister Waffle

* hits X button*

It's plenty loud. Keep in mind that it's 15w and not 75w. I also play with a drummer and have yet to turn the amp all the way. I usually play at around a 6 or 7 and never have a problem being heard.

In a big show you would want to mic it but for a small amp it's pretty loud.

I have heard other people mentioning adding a cab in larger settings. I've been considering picking up a cab for mine.
^Agreed. Plenty there to gig with. Maybe not Megadeth though

Quote by paquiquinho
What do you guys think about this one http://www.netads.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/Lab/

Unless that is some rare highly sought after amp I've never heard of - I'd say this is junk to stay clear of.
Well thanks for the info guys. I'll go and try it for myself but I'm pretty much sold. Tone wise it seems to have everything I need and if I can gig it then I have everything to be happy.
Quote by Sinister Waffle

* hits X button*

I live in Europe myself, where options are limited and/or expensive. It is maddening reading how cheaply Americans can buy gear.

I chose this amp-- and have no regrets. Of all the "voices" it has, I find only a few of them to be usable, but I am more than satisfied with what it offers. (Some of the "vintage" modeled voices seem a bit "dead" to me).

I run direct into the amp--- no need for effects. It has a usable reverb and delay. It also has some "Fender" effects like vibrato that I am not interested in-- and I have never needed a chorus (which it has).

It is plenty loud. My only gripes--- very minor ones--- as it is a "tube amp", it isn't set up for practicing through headphones (I believe it always needs a load on the speaker outs). Also, the volume comes "on" at maybe 1 1/2 on the dial--- meaning that it cannot be made "infinitely quiet" for "bedroom practice." On the other hand, the types of amps that serve that niche don't have nearly the same quality of tone that this one has.

For my style of playing, I have no need for an OD pedal in front of it (given the voicings it offers).

I also like the simplicity of offers.... no need for an owners manual. No crazy menus to edit from. Just plug and play.
every time there is a thread about these i think you are making fun of them because of the XD in the title
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I have a Champ XD

I love everything about it, the metal and rock presets are just great to me, along the other 14 lol. Sounds great at 2 or 3 or at 10. Pick up the footswitch to switch back and forth between channels i made this mistake and fixin to order me one here shortly. BTW it helps alot to get a good cable, i was using a pos cable i got with one of my Epi guitars and bought a monster cable and wham amazing tone change
The XD Champs as well as the Bugera V-series amps are nice. The latter is definitely more geared towards rock distortion, dunno if you really need that.

Btw, check ebay. And not just the portuguese ebay, but also the ones from Spain, France, Germany and Britain. Especially the last two have huge markets for used amps, finding a good deal is easy.

Also, look at these two, they're Fender-y amps and pretty affordable:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/PTE/Fame-GTA-15-R-15-Watt-all-Tube-Combo/art-GIT0007942-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/PTE/Fame-GTA-40-R-40-Watt-all-Tube-Combo/art-GIT0007943-000
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Personally. I'd rather have a SuperChamp XD or even a Blues Jr over an HRD and that would even be if the prices were all equal. Not sure of the conversion rate (too laze to look it up on xe.com) but I would also look at the Egnater Tweaker or maybe the Rebel.

This. The HRD is a pretty crappy 'dream amp', just a cheap stab at the Fender sound.
Quote by paquiquinho
My dream amp is definitely the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Unfortunately in Europe (I'm Portuguese) those go for a little over 600€. I need a cheaper alternative and so I found the Super Champ XD. It costs 300€ (half as the other one). So I'm wondering if it's worth it. I know I should go and try it but I gave to drive quite a distance to do so, so before I go I would like to know if it's worth it. Bare in mind that I play Alt Rock (Interpol, The National, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, etc...). It say's it's 15W valve. Here's a link to description: http://www.lismusica.pt/?product=4350

If there alternatives to the hot rod deluxe better than this (even if other brands) that go in the 200-450€ price range I'm open to them.

So opinions please and thank you.

i have 1 for 239 from codamusic
Quote by The3818919
The Super Champ XD has awesome cleans, ok dirty cleans, and pretty bad overdrive. It is pretty decent for the money though. You would have to save up a bit more money for the Tweaker or the Rebel. Bugera v22 maybe?
I disagree with the assessment that the OD on the XD is bad. However, the FX are limited and there is no FX loop. Radiohead has some pretty "swirly" tones (for lack of a better word). So you have to consider that if you intend to go for some far out FX. In that case you would need to use the XD as a clean amp with pedals in front. And it does that well anyhow.

I absolutely love my 2 SCXDs. Voice 16 (Acoustasonic model) sounds fantasic on my Peavey Generation w/ piezo in the bridge. Re: the comment that only some voices are usable.. I've found that some voices work better with humbuckers and some with single coils. The gain control has a big affect on the useability of the voices in different situations. Unlike most modeling amps the tweaking is very easy and I'm always finding gems of tone by twisting the knobs. It's a tweaker!

Which reminds me.... I can't disagree with the Tweaker recommendation as I'm buying one today.