Last night, someone decided to help themselves to my guitars and as a result, after struggling with the insurance company for hours, I'm in the market for a couple of new guitars.

Bit of background. I've been playing for quite a while now, decent guitarist (but nothing out of the ordinary), I play in metalcore band which gigs regularly around my area.

I haven't really been keeping up with guitar news THAT much, so I was hoping some of you experts could recommend me something similar or better than the guitars I was using to begin with. Nothing will be able to replace the two guitars I lost, but here's to starting again.

I was playing as my primary guitar an Ibanez Prestige RG1570, and as a secondary an ESP LTD MH301 with two EMG 81's.

Playing through a Genz Benz El Diablo 60. Not the greatest amp for metal, but I get a reasonably good sound out of it.

Having a look locally, I can pickup any of the following second hand for a good price, but I'm not sure where they slot in against the guitars I was already using:

ESP/LTD Viper 400 in white. + hard case 24 frets, EMG active 81/85 pickups.

Schecter C-1 Classic + hard case. 24 frets, vine of life inlay, Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickups

Schecter C-1 Blackjack + hard case. 24 frets Seymour Duncan JB/59 pickups.

Jackson DKMG + hard case. 24 frets. licensed by Floyd rose tremolo. EMG 81/85 active pickups

Jackson DK2M + hard case. 24 frets, licensed by Floyd rose tremolo. Seymour Duncan JB/59 pickups.

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger . 24 frets, EMG 81/85 active pickups

Ibanez Xiphos XPT-700 + hard case. 24 frets, dimarzio D-Activator Pickups, Ibanez edge III tremolo.

Gibson SG standard + hard case. 22 frets, Gibson 498/500T pickups, Black in colour. Slight damage to headstock.

Ibanez RG560 + soft case. 1989-90 model, licensed by floyd rose trem, 24 frets, fitted with EMG actives, HSS configuration.

Any there worth checking out? If not, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks.
Damn that sucks, how did they get to your guitars?

Of all those, I'd say the RG 560 is one of the better ones. But it would need some extensive playing around before purchasing to make sure it;s still a good guitar after 20 years >_>

Second the Viper

aand Third I'd stick with the Jackson DK2m with passives.

But that's just me. (And I'm a tad Biased against Schecter XD)

Seeing as you owned an Ibanez and an LTD and had no complaints about it you'd be around the same condition with the Ibanez and the LTD here (The LTD being better than your last one, and the Ibanez being better only if it's still in good condition)
Im aiming to get myself a Ibanez XPT700. I played one at the local shop a few times. I think there pretty sick.

I personally think you should give them all some though but the ESP and the Ibby stand out to me.
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Man, sorry to hear that.

If your gonna get a licensed Floyd rose, expect to upgrade it to an original, unless you get the ibanez edge. Get the pickups you want for sure, unless you get a great deal on something and it'd cheaper to upgrade them aftemarket. Last but not least, get soemthibg you actually want to play.
The only thing that I have against the xiphos is the bridge. Edge 3s will work great for a little while, but then they'll totally die on you. I have mine blocked right now, and I don't regret it at all. I'd go with the hardtail xiphos (if you end up getting that body shape, of course), since the gilbralter bridge that it has is amazingly comfortable.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I'd look at the ESP, and the Jackson DKMG. Since you play metalcore, you can get those and just 18v mod them and you'll be happy.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
I dont know much about those guitar there but I am a fan of the C-1 Classic. But it seems like there are better options based on what those guys are saying
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Thanks for all the replies guys. I knew I could count on your for informative and insightful responses.

In regards to how they got stolen: Someone broke into our house and stole them while I was at work. So they either know me, or knew that I had guitars in there. It's a bit strange, because while I really liked the guitars, they weren't exactly the be all and end all of guitars.

Thanks for the link, I'll certainly have a look into it - Anything that stops those scumbags from doing what they did to me to someone else is a good thing.

From what I've gathered from everything you guys have posted, I've narrowed that particular list down to four (I believe the RG560 may be gone already - if not it's def. something I'll be looking into).

The Ibby XPT (I'm a sucker for Ibby's)
The 2 Jackson's
and the ESP

Will very likely block at least one of the guitars' bridge (as that's what I'd done with my original Ibby).

The Ibby I had, had passive pickups and I never noticed too much of an issue with them. Am I likely to be disappointed with the passive Seymour Duncan's (I've never used them)? I know I'll be happy with the EMG's, mainly just because I've used them before. But obviously, if I was going to change, now would be the time to do it.

The Ibby is the most expensive of the four, the jacksons both costing the same, and the ESP being cheaper again. All of them are easily in the price range that the insurance from the stolen guitars will cover me buying two of them.

From what I've gathered, these are all going to be good guitars, but I should just go whichever feels nicest/is the most aesthetically pleasing? I'm just worried about thinking they're alright and then finding out that the guitar I get is a bit of a dud.

I'm more worried about performance than looks, but obviously if possible I'd rather get a guitar that looks sick as well as shreds nicely.
I like SD's as passives. The JB is sort of a love/hate thing though. It's got this really weird upper midrange hump that you either like or annoys you enough to get a new pickup.

With that being said, if you swap the magnet in the JB for a ceramic, you'll have one of my personal favorite pickups - the Duncan Distortion. It's loud, it bites, and it's ballsy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well It keeps things versatile if you get one guitar with actives and the other with passives. and the JB/59 set can definitely do metal. Really, any humbucker can do metal.

I'd go with the LTD and the passive Jackson if the RG is gone.

Plus people usually say that the Jackson licensed trem is actually really good. So I assume it'll be better than the edge III on the Xiphos
from your initial list,the rg560 edges ahead,it has the incredible edge tremolo and is a MIJ ibanez

but from your second list,I suggest that you stay away from the XPT and its edge crap
I'd pick the Ibby. Or why not just another 1570?

EDIT: Probably also a shotgun.

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
Schecter ! If you're into metal, definetly go for the Hellraiser.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
I would go for the 560 as well. Even if its gone, you should be able to pick up a used 5x0 ibby for around 300 bucks.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Quote by disasterfan1984
Thanks for all the replies guys. I knew I could count on your for informative and insightful responses.

In regards to how they got stolen: Someone broke into our house and stole them while I was at work. So they either know me, or knew that I had guitars in there. It's a bit strange, because while I really liked the guitars, they weren't exactly the be all and end all of guitars.

Same thing happened to me last Sept. I don't know the guy (only one was caught, he wouldn't confess the others who helped), but it turns out he knew a ex girlfriend I has banished from my life.

File a police report with serials. Then don't wait for the cops. Go hit every pawn shop, guitar store, Ebay and craigslist. I found one of mine in a pawn ship and it busted the one guy because he was stupid enough to pawn locally and use his own ID. Later phone call after to phone call led me to my other 2 guitars from word of mouth from people who knew that guy and her.

And, then I got a house alarm and a safe to keep my stuff in now. They were morons luckily, they took my $300 flat screen and left my vintage Marshall head and Mesa triple rectifier.
dude...if someone stole my guitars id be devastated ......my condolences....im sorry to hear that .....hope the bugger deserves whats coming......bless u child.
Sorry for getting stuck on the xiphos matter but isn't that a really neck heavy guitar?

Same propblem with Vipers (and SG for that matter), I've heard. But if that's no issue, then fine. Seeing you've used superstrats before, I'd avoid 'em neck divers.

If RG's narrowed out (sold), that leaves Schecters and Jacksons. The avenger's a bit of a wild card here.. might wanna give it a go before deciding. Propably you'd like any of them: dinky or c-1 but one thing speaking for the schecters is the neck joint - all access on schecters, bulky bolt on dinkies. Of the 2 schecters the blackjack looks more metal.

Thus, I'm voting for the Blackjack. On the other hand, you've used tremolo systems so you might be used to the "lower touch". Come on, test them out and see what works out best.
Jeez, that sucks. I know how you feel. About 20 years ago, I went to help a friend move and when I came back someone broke into my house and stole my Gibson semi-solid along with all my vinyl albums. I was so pissed. I even know who did it, but I can't prove it, so I had to forget and move on. Needless to say, this person is no longer my friend.

ron666
the blackjack is pretty good but I think the hellraiser is better because it has EMGs
HILT!

Where's Waldo?