F, A, D, G. I kind of wanna call it F suspended 6 cuz there's a 6 and no 3. Does any1 know what this chord would be called?

edit: oops, there's a 6 and no 5, so no suspendedness goin down...
Last edited by TMVATDI at Aug 18, 2010,
Quote by lt22
F6/9?
The A is the III... I assume you meant no V?

oh oops yeah haha. i actually played this chord when trying to make an Faug, i put the #5 up another half step by accident.
I'd go with Dsus4/F.

But failing that then yes, as mentioned above it can be an F6add9(no 5) chord.
Quote by TMVATDI
F, A, D, G. I kind of wanna call it F suspended 6 cuz there's a 6 and no 3. Does any1 know what this chord would be called?

Could be many of things.

Dmin7add11
Dsus4/F
Fmajadd9add13 (no5)
G9 or Gmin9, no third to tell

Theres a few other choices
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
Could be many of things.

Dmin7add11 = Dm11 (see note 1.) = Dmadd11 (See note 1. and Weigenliend's post below)
Dsus4/F
Fmajadd9add13 (no5) = F6/9 (see note 2.)
G9 or Gmin9, no third to tell = G7sus2 (see note 3.)

Theres a few other choices
sorry dude I don't mean to be all pedantic -your line of thought's all good but but the labels are needlessly lengthy in some cases.

1. You don't get a 7add11 chord. If it has a 7 and an 11 its an extended chord and would just be written Dm11 in this case over an F bass would be Dm11/F. If there's no 7 [as in this case] then it's an add chord Dmadd11 but you don't usually get both a 7 and an add. You could put the add in parenthesis Dm(add11) to stop it looking like madd

2. Sorry mate but Fmajadd9add13(no5) is overcomplication. major only needs to be spelled out when there is a major seventh involved.

add is only used when there is no seventh

If you're adding a 13th to a triad (no 7) then it's just 6. There's no need for add in the label because the 6 is below the seventh when it is included it is assumed it is added to the base triad so you don't need to write add in front of a 6. (When the seventh is present the 6 becomes an extension and is written as 13th but it is not add13 it is an extension.)

When you have a 6 chord such as F6 (Fmajor add6) it is fairly common to add a 9th as well. The way of notating an add6add9 chord is simply 6/9 such as would be done here F6/9.

The (no5) doesn't really ned to be spelled out but you can spell it out if you want to ensure no fifth is played. The fifth is present already as an overtone of the fundamental and it's main role in the chord is to reinforce the tonic so putting (no5) in is optional - including it is likely to do little to the overall chord but F6/9(no5) is still better than that monstrous name you had before. -no offense intended.

3. When there is a 9 and no third it's often notated as a sus2. G7sus2 would do

Of course if we then take all those chords and put them over an F bass we get
Dmadd11/F
Dsus4/F
F6/9
G7sus2/F

I'd go with the F6/9 personally but they all work.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Aug 19, 2010,
Dmadd11 or F6/9 give us come context and we'll be able to tell you which. and don't know where every got the 7 from in the D chord, there's no C. I'm assuming by the order it's in it's played <xx3233> ?
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
ypu're right, i unno where i got the 7 from o.o I was sorta half asleep doing this xD But I figure with the whole G7 thing without the third, I never knew that you could write it as that. And I always write out maj if its major because I've seen people think that it was dominant *I have no idea how* when I wrote x6
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Without the context of tonality, I'd safely call that a D minor added 11th.

Keep in mind that some chords are just very ambiguous in the way of their naming, however keep the perspective that unless you force a chord to be nothing else, it will always try and keep the most simplest form.

So for this example, a minor triad with an added flavour note is a much simpler form than calling it a A4 added b6th, 7th - 3rd, 5th

It's like the law of entrophy in that regard.. complexity will resolve to the simplest form possible.
Quote by TMVATDI

You can't have a sus6 anyway. You can only have sus2 or sus4, as it suspends the third. It doesn't just replace it with something random. It sort of alters it to an adjacent scale tone in order to build tension.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by TMVATDI
its xx3233, the chord progression i was using was this chord then Cmaj7 (x32000)

I would definitely call it G7sus2 since it's functioning as the dominant (though the lack of a third would make it kind of ambiguous in it's function).
You probably have all the info you need, but in the future post in "name that chord" thread above.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud