I was wondering what any UG'er who is or has been through college did with their guitars. I'm concerned about taking one along because of the possibility of theft. The guitar would be an Epiphone G-400, and I'd potentially have an amp along with it. What would you suggest I do?
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
I'm going to college and only bringing my acoustic.

Seems inconsiderate of your roommate to bring an electric and an amp.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
I'm taking my guitar for sure, it's an electric. Dunno if I'll take my amp though, it's big and I don't use it much.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
The other thing is, the dorm I'll be in has a music room that is soundproofed. I could bring my electric shit and leave it there, but then the stealing could happen. Maybe i will just take my acoustic.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Quote by BlaiseTheSlayer
The other thing is, the dorm I'll be in has a music room that is soundproofed. I could bring my electric shit and leave it there, but then the stealing could happen. Maybe i will just take my acoustic.

You could just move it back and forth.
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
I'm taking my guitar for sure, it's an electric. Dunno if I'll take my amp though, it's big and I don't use it much.
I like to diddle around on my electric unplugged sometimes too, but what's the point on taking it up to college without an amp?

Just go acoustic.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
What do you mean "did with their guitars"? I brought mine all four years and kept it in my room. I hated my roommates but even they knew not to touch another man's guitar. Just lock your doors and don't go flashing your toy around if it's expensive, and you'll be fine.
Depends on your roommate.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I've lived off-campus for my 3 years of school. Its actually been cheaper than living in the dorms, and I get to have my amp/electric guitars/personal space, even if it was just an efficiency. I know that's not an option for everybody, but its worth looking into.
Alot of colleges wont let you play any instrument of excesive noise in a dorm. So if you have a small practice amp, preferably with headphones, thats cool, just dont be bringing a half stack or biger. As for theft, just make sure to keep your room locked and dont leave your guitar out. None of my friends dorms have ever been broken into anyways.
I brought a 200 watt combo, nobody seemed to mind. the first year wasn't bad because my roommate was my friend. the second year of dorms wasn't bad either because we both jammed metal most of the time. just have fun, it's college, you're supposed to piss people off.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by burndttoast
What do you mean "did with their guitars"? I brought mine all four years and kept it in my room. I hated my roommates but even they knew not to touch another man's guitar. Just lock your doors and don't go flashing your toy around if it's expensive, and you'll be fine.

What I meant was where did you keep it, which did you bring.
Quote by Lord_Hondros

Quote by behind_you
Quote by Aquaman788
Alot of colleges wont let you play any instrument of excesive noise in a dorm. So if you have a small practice amp, preferably with headphones, thats cool, just dont be bringing a half stack or biger. As for theft, just make sure to keep your room locked and dont leave your guitar out. None of my friends dorms have ever been broken into anyways.

would you say that a 65 watt amp is acceptable?
Quote by Lord_Hondros

Quote by behind_you
Quote by valennic
Depends on your roommate.

this.

he could just claim you left the door unlocked when you left and have one of his friends jack your shit.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by Just Andrew
I like to diddle around on my electric unplugged sometimes too, but what's the point on taking it up to college without an amp?

Just go acoustic.

I have amp modeling software on my laptop I can use. I don't own an acoustic, I'm just stating my situation
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
this.

he could just claim you left the door unlocked when you left and have one of his friends jack your shit.

I've met him, and he seems like he can respect my space. He'd probably be cool with my guitaring in the room.
Quote by Lord_Hondros

Quote by behind_you
Going to college =/= living at college

I'm in college but I get to live at home.

For a suggestion, how about taking your electric, and get a headphone amp with an iPod speaker? Works great for me.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Aug 18, 2010,
I've been taking my guitars to college for 2 years. I didnt' live on-site though.

There were several thefts in the space of those 2 years, thankfully none of them mine. I always insisted that there was either at least 1 member of the class in the room at all times if the door was unlocked. Someone had a £5000 guitar stolen once as they went to the toilet for 2 minutes.

Sorry if that scares you off a little, but my advice is to just stay vigilant. Don't leave your stuff completely unattended.
brought my shecter and line 6 practice amp, found out my roomate was a music major (and a poser) had blast, repeating process this year
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
Quote by Just Andrew
I'm going to college and only bringing my acoustic.

Seems inconsiderate of your roommate to bring an electric and an amp.

room with a music major. my whole suite last year was music majors. we had so much gear it looked like a pawn shop.

and now i live in a house near campus with two of my friends running a recording studio upstairs.
#DTWD