Hey all,

My last thread I thought I needed a modelling amp, but more and more I think for what I want, the computer may be a better bet. I reconfigured my room to allow the guitar to fit at my desk better, so here we go. I am not sure if this should go here or in recording, but I stick to this forum more, so I'd love your input

First and foremost: I have old Altec Lansing computer speakers and a subwoofer. I assume if I enjoy music and guitar off of these speakers, playing through them with the guitar should suffice? I also have some nice headphones.

I have a laptop with these specs:
Intel i7 Q820
8 Gigs of I think DD3 RAM.
Internal soundcard. (just mic, and two headphone outs).

Now, I know I need a USB interface, but to test out Guitar Rig, etc. etc. can I go about using a 1/4 to 1/8th adapter in the guitar and run a 1/8th cord to the pc?

If not, I would prefer to buy an interface and use free software to keep it cheap.
Am I on the right track here?
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Try to find a Floor Pod from Line 6, a lot of people use it and it doesn't sound half bad.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Budget?

I sometimes jam with my ux1 and pod farm but it sounds tiny with heavier music, sounds ok for practicing I supoose.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
For the interface lets say under 50?

I know the cheaper I go, latency is an issue, but this again is an unforeseen expense, so I literally have nothing saved for it, but I NEED to play in my room ha!

EDIT: and again, I want to play through the computer speakers, but with an option for my headphones too. Because I am so noob in this I need to clarify -- I want to play in real time with this!
Last edited by sixstringedmatt at Aug 19, 2010,
New, you will likely not find anything for under $100.
Most of the entry-level interfaces are right at $100.

Used market may be a different story.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
You will be much happier if you have a USB port...

while i'm here though I will once again endorse guitar rig 4's session interface. small, accurate and easy to use.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
What about the Tone Port from L6. I noticed they had a deal going on for like 35 bucks?

Where can I learn more about these interfaces? I know I need that first, then I will use demos online then buy Guitar Rig or etc. etc.
Morning bump.
Any multifx (used for your price range) is going to be the easiest setup. USB is great for recording, but using the 1/8" line in jack is the best bet for monitoring through your speakers.

For price reference... I just picked up an RP155 shipped for $60 on eBay.
Last edited by fly135 at Aug 19, 2010,
I would prefer to go with straight interface, for space reasons.

On another note, I downloaded GR4 demo and it keeps crashing on startup. Sometimes I can get in and hear my clean signal and the metronome on the software, but thats it.

Is it because I am trying to just go Guitar -> Mic input on the PC. (I am doing this just to see -- I know I need the interface).
Quote by BrokenDstring
You will be much happier if you have a USB port...

while i'm here though I will once again endorse guitar rig 4's session interface. small, accurate and easy to use.

The GR 4 session interface is what I use. I bought it and decided the guitar rig software was absolute shit. Then moved onto Peavey Revalver and ultimately Amplitube 3 with the Ampeg SVX add-on because I use it for bass as well, plus I actually use the SVT-CL model for all my blues needs too .
Find yourself a nice interface, most decent ones will offer outputs for stereo montiors and headphones, then use software demos to find an amp modelling software you like and then... acquire a "license" for it however you see fit.
OK sweet, I think I will check out GC today, any recommendations? I just need something simple. USB to computer so I can play through computer speakers and then headphones!
Quote by JoePerry4life
Budget?

I sometimes jam with my ux1 and pod farm but it sounds tiny with heavier music, sounds ok for practicing I supoose.

Not if you have the metal pack.

Quote by sixstringedmatt
For the interface lets say under 50?

No offense, but you have a decked out, new laptop and you're only willing to spend $50 on an interface?

Your best bet is really going to be a Line 6 POD Studio, which will get you POD Farm... but you're not gonna find one for $50 new. If you go used, you might be able to pick up a UX1 for cheap, but the person is going to need to transfer their Line 6 account to you, or unregister it from their's if it doesn't come with any model packs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Your internal soundcard will not be able to process the audio if you just go with a direct line into the computer without an external interface of some sort.

The most basic usable interfaces start at around 100. The M-audio is usually what people recommend for a first interface, or a POD if you're a guitarist (because of the modelling software).
None taken MC. This is really an unforeseen expense. Budget is now 100, though. I'm thinking just the L6 Tone Port XT for 99 bucks.
Quote by sixstringedmatt
None taken MC. This is really an unforeseen expense. Budget is now 100, though. I'm thinking just the L6 Tone Port XT for 99 bucks.

Tone Port XT?

I'd go with the POD Studio UX1, but it's a little over $100. If you don't think you'll ever need a mic, or will upgrade later, go with the GX (the mic pres on the L6 stuff really aren't that great anyway).

The little M-Audio interfaces are good too, the mic pres are better, but you don't get the modeling software. You could always use free VSTs, there are some out there that sound just as good as the stock POD Farm tones, now with the model packs, that's a whole different story
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 19, 2010,
derr, woops, and thanks for the suggestion I have a 10% off coupon, so I can swing the UX1. This should have no problem integrating with the GR4 demo right? I want to test out as many bits as I can (ReValver, Amplitube, etc.)

Now, do I HAVE to plug speakers into the unit, or can I have it go into the unit, through the PC and out my PC speakers (its a convenience thing, the less I have to keep switching the speakers from the UX1 to the PC the better)