I have an Orange Rockerverb 50 head and I had an idea of making a road case out of cardboard. I don't need to drop a couple hundred on a real live in road case yet. Maybe sometime in the future when my band starts playing steady shows. Anyways, I was thinking of making a cardboard box with foam glued on the inside. I would make it so the head fits fairly tight in there. Then for the top flap I could just get a bunch of velcro. To make the cardboard a little more durable I could possibly completely wrap it in duct tape? I realize this is very "ghetto" but to me it's actually a pretty cool idea to save a ton of money. This would just be for light transporting from home to practice to shows. The tolex on Orange amps are pretty soft..

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this has been done before? I've done some searching but didn't find anything. Opinions would be great also
cardboard is pretty thin dude, maybe like planks of wood with foam around the inside then use one of those hinge thingys to open a up the top? its a lot simpler then it sounds. i did something similar in woodshop.
I know this isn't going to be strong. It's just going to protect the tolex. I would either find really thick cardboard or double it up.
I would completely wrap it in duct tape so it's a little more durable. I'm not a dumb ass and leave my equipment in the rain or throw it around even when it's in a case. It's just to protect the tolex basically to keep it looking pretty. I got the idea from a music video I seen.. In the beginning the guitarist was pushing in a 1960B cabinet and it had a cardboard slip cover.
Just don't run the amp while its inside the case i guess.. incase it turns into a makeshift oven.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Cardboard might be soft and weak, but it's still more protection that the amp'd have otherwise - give it a go. The original shipping box lined with foam would work
I'd just build a roadcase from wood myself. Go to your local woodshop and see if they have some scrapwood you can take for free, or look around in your shed or anywhere for some free wood. Shouldn't cost much more than your idea but it's much much strong and durable.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I'd just build a roadcase from wood myself. Go to your local woodshop and see if they have some scrapwood you can take for free, or look around in your shed or anywhere for some free wood. Shouldn't cost much more than your idea but it's much much strong and durable.

+1

I built a rack/case for 2 heads and some rack gear for $30 and it just took a couple hours to complete. If you plan your cuts well, you could probably use a single sheet of wood for your head and it would be around $10.
I think you guys are expecting too much. It's really just to protect the tolex from being damaged. Cardboard isn't strong, but it will protect the tolex. I don't have a job so I spend my money very wisely. BTW, I'm from Canada so buying from Ebay isn't so cheap in the end.

Quote by tonyd927
I did this to a peavey 5150 with two layers of cardboard and duct taped the crap out of it

Do you have any pics?
um...

this just sounds like a really bad idea.

maybe just try to be careful around your amp? taking good care of your shit is a great way to not **** it up.
Quote by GrisKy
um...

this just sounds like a really bad idea.

maybe just try to be careful around your amp? taking good care of your shit is a great way to not **** it up.

I don't get why everyone thinks it's a bad idea. You just told me to take good care of it (which I do) so having a layer of cardboard and foam would protect it more!

Anyways, thanks for all of your opinions. Can anyone post some pics that have done this before?
When i want a case for a guitar, amp, etc. I put an add on our local Kjiji (like American Craigs list). Case wanted to fit...blah, blah, ...$25 cash. Never fails.
I'd just let the thing get all scarred up.

It's going to happen eventually and looks better that way.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Vinyl cover is the best way. Cardboard just sounds stupid.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X