I know the difference is only one octave, which is 11 tones. However, as I've never used a piano as anything other than a piano, and it was an upright, so it had seven right there, but I doubt I used all of them, so I'm unsure of whether I'll need the extra octave, and I'm unsure as to whether or not it's worth my money to spend the extra cash and/or the extra size it adds on to make bringing it on vacation and to gigs more annoying.

Right then, 49-key MIDI controller vs. 59-key controller. Non-key controls are the same, just more spread-out on the 59-key. Same brand an all that. Main uses would be drum programming, synth backdrops, virtual orchestration of instruments I don't own/can't play, and if I turn out to suck at playing bass for the kind of music I've been writing, bass tracking. No sorts of Jordan Rudess-esque virtuosic synth solos or anything like that.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Is ther price difference significant? If it is not alot, I would recommend the 59 key. Wider range of notes is always a good thing, especially if you are going to do as you say and do orchestras.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
Quote by METAL_MAN135
Is ther price difference significant? If it is not alot, I would recommend the 59 key. Wider range of notes is always a good thing, especially if you are going to do as you say and do orchestras.

$30, not terribly significant, but same time, that's the same amount I'd be able to get a sustain pedal for it with.

Quote by drawnacrol
If you have the room on your desk/recording area etc for a 59 key then get it, I use an M-Audio Axiom 49 key and it does the job perfectly, their is a button on the side to octave shift up to 3 times in either direction so your not just confined to the 4 octaves of a normal 49 key keyboard

Hmm...suppose I'll take some measurements and see what'll fit then. And the one I'm looking at is also an M-Audio; Both are from the Oxygen series. What do you think of yours?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
if you're just going for some synth sounds, or not playing piano parts with both hands, you can easily get away with the smaller one. i have the 61 and for my attempts at piano skills, it's just about the right size. i got it more for the piano though, which takes up more room playing with both hands. i know plenty of people who are more into the synth sounds and have much smaller ones that are more than happy with it. just think about what you need it for and remember the "octave" buttons