So after discussing for a good year in the Pit Zombie Emergency Plan and watching a program on the Discovery Channel on a hypothetical super flu I decided to make this thread. So what would you do if there was a flu that killed 1/3 people? What is your plan to survive and rebuild?

My plan is to go over to my buddies dairy farm with all my firearms and supplies. Block off the roads and guard the farm and in return reap the benefits of milk and steak.
Last edited by epiless at Aug 19, 2010,
move to Madagascar.

Edit: DAMN IT.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Last edited by sadSTATUE at Aug 19, 2010,
I'd spread disease like a dog most likely.
The gun in my mouth was real.
And the taste?
I'd move to a remote island in the middle of nowhere and survive off the skills I've no doubt perfected from watching Survivorman, Man Vs. Wild, and various other shows hosted by the discovery channel.

Of course I'd have a camera crew with me to document the whole thing and present me with opportunities to demonstrate survival skills as well as a safety crew nearby as required by Health and Safety regulations.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Aug 19, 2010,
Put on a cleanroom suit and a gasmask, treat infected people like zombies.
What else?
Quote by Prosef
Put on a cleanroom suit and a gasmask, treat infected people like zombies.
What else?

So.....shoot them?
The gun in my mouth was real.
And the taste?
Quote by superunknown4
So.....shoot them?

If they come close and try to bite me. I guess, if I have something to shoot them with. But I could invent some odd weapon to assist me in the cleansing.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Madagascar

This.

This is the only way to ensure survival. Trust me on this.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
I'd equip myself with a cricket bat and go to the pub with my mum, best mate and ex....
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by RU Experienced?
I'd move to a remote island in the middle of nowhere and survive off the skills I've no doubt perfected from watching Survivorman, Man Vs. Wild, and various other shows hosted by the discovery channel.

Of course I'd have a camera crew with me to document the whole thing and present me with opportunities to demonstrate survival skills as well as a safety crew nearby as required by Health and Safety regulations.

Don't forget the amazing power of overdubbed studio narration that explains how you would have implemented your skills, had you not cocked everything up like a complete arse.

God damn I hate Bear Grylls.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by slash_GNR666
I'd equip myself with a cricket bat and go to the pub with my mum, best mate and ex....

Best film in the world
Quote by slash_GNR666

Find a vinyl shop where the owner got infected and died. Take huge box of LP's. And in all fairness you'd rather have the spade than the cricket bat, because you actually have sharp edges.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
The reasons 1918 killed so many people have as much to do with the flu itself as the lifestyle of the people who died from it.

Many were soldiers, and many lived in tightly-packed, Urban areas. Also, at the time, viruses were poorly understood, and methods people took to prevent infection and protect themselves were hodge-podge.

We now understand the viral mechanism and have tools that would make such a devastating pandemic unlikely (though it's always a possibility.)

The best thing you can do is wash your hands. Wear a mask (like they did when SARS hit), and generally stay healthy. No matter what disease you are afflicted with, being hydrated, eating well and exercising reduce your risk of death. So the "plan" is more about prevention than "what do we do now?!"

The CDC was started because of 1918 Flu, and a great deal is now known about how these things happen. Like NASA or The Army or any number of Federal programs - say what you will about cost and efficiency, and potential corruption - the level of technological advancement is clearly tremendous since 1918. We went from flying rickety planes made out of paper to sending craft to the outer reaches of the solar system in 50 years.

Likewise the CDC, and you local health department, has at its disposal a number of highly effective technologies. Trust them. Do what they say. They know what the Hell they are doing!

Ironically, too, with a higher population density and a more mobile culture where even the average lower middle-class family can afford to take at least one trans-oceanic airplane trip in their lifetime, we have caused disease to spread more quickly and affect more people in a shorter time.

The downside is more people are sick more quickly.

BUT what beat the 1918 flu was simple: the human immune system and THE VIRUS ITSELF.

Every time someone is infected, the immune system responds and if the person survives they become resistant. Given resistance alone, as the non-resistant die off the remaining population becomes increasingly resistant, and the disease is slowed in its progress.

Quarantines help slow the spread, too.

But from the perspective of the virus it is NOT beneficial to kill your host. The human rhinovirus - the cold - is one of the most successful organisms on the planet because it gives you a bit of discomfort, maybe a sore throat, and yet you are healthy enough to work, and most importantly for the virus, give it to others.

So as the virus spreads, there are an increasing number of variants - minor evolutions of the virus. This is called "drift."

Some are more virulent, and perhaps the victim dies in five hours.

But others will be less virulent, the disease will be less severe, and the victim will actually recover and live to spread the virus to others.

So the virus that is less virulent spreads more successfully than the one that is more virulent.

For this reason nightmare viruses like Ebola are not successful - and are terrible choices for a potential Terrorist - because everyone who gets it is dead within hours, and is so horribly sick and debilitated that the virus dies with the victim.

You'd practically have to go around New York City with an ebola needle and inject every single person you wanted to get sick.

If you injected 1000 people, perhaps 1200 would get it and die.

And a week later there would be no trace of the ebola, and you'd have gone about committing the most labor intensive, least efficient act of terrorism of all time.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."