Ok I'm working on a project strat right now,I got a squier strat from a used store for 30 bucks awhile ago cause the guy that owned it stepped on the neck or something with it leaning on his bed so I picked up a generic strat neck up at a guiatr show alittle bit after that...
Anyways to the question....the guitar body is blue which looks cool but I'm thinking about doing something crazy with the paint job but I want the blue to be in the background still. I wanted to know how far down to sand until the clear coat came off without taking off the blue? Is the clear coat really thick?I've never did anything sanding on a body before only a total paint strip with liquid stripper...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
just sand the back in a small spot and see if you can tell for urself. But it would probably look better if you sanded it back to the wood and repainted it.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Yeah my plan was the use some paint tape and spray a color of spray paint...let dry apply more tape then spray a different color..let dry and so on till I had a weird ass colorful design then clear coat I just wanted to use the blue whie it was already on there and not have to blue blue paint...thanks though for the advice
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Wet sand the body. Every so often, look at the sandpaper - it should have a whitey sort of substance building up as you sand. This is the clear coat. Keep going until you get a tiny bit of blue. If you do this all over the body, you will sand off all the clear and the first layer of blue ready for more paint over the top.