I've been working on this for a long fucking time, and I just recently finished it. It's a concept album based on the 5 classical elements (water, air, earth, fire, aether). The album is divided into acts, each act representing each respective element. I hoped to convey a feeling of each element through each act, and I think I did a pretty good job. This is pretty much the most ambitious thing I've ever written, and by far the longest.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much pointless to include a MIDI file, since all the guitars are "jazz guitars" (they sound much better than all the other guitars in RSE) and all the cues are just for RSE tones. Since the piece is so long, I really can't go through it and change all the cues. So obviously, you want to listen to it in RSE. If you listen in MIDI, there will be no tone changes, even when there should be.

Anyway, please enjoy. Don't listen to this unless you have 50 minutes to spare, because, again, it's fucking long.
Attachments:
Alchemy.zip

I just want to sleep forever.

Last edited by Grovermans at Aug 19, 2010,
Can people pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase stop compressing such tiny files, its so unnecessary. If you upload the gp5 file uncompressed, then i'll check it out.
Did you not read what I said? It's fifty fucking minutes long. That's 743KB uncompressed, which is FAR over the filesize limit. You don't need to be a dick; I'm not an idiot. I know what I'm doing.

Sounds interesting, i'll check this out when i get home as i have no life so 50 minutes aint a problem lol
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
Quote by Grovermans
Did you not read what I said? It's fifty fucking minutes long. That's 743KB uncompressed, which is FAR over the filesize limit. You don't need to be a dick; I'm not an idiot. I know what I'm doing.

Whether it was intentional or not, I found that hilarious

As for the song itself, I'm up to Air now - which sounds a lot like something that could fit into Yoshi's Island 2 or Golden Sun - but I might have to listen to the other half tomorrow; it's fifty fucking minutes!
I'm loving it so far though; the melodies and progression is great, and the drumming is top-notch; I love all the dynamic fluctuations and the phrasing is stellar.
Great work with all of the delay effects and tonal subtleties too; the atmosphere's nothing short of impeccable, and I really can't think of much more to add to that; it's reminding me a lot of shoegaze and post-rock, but especially Liquid Tension Experiment's more orchestrated moments.
The only thing that's of any concern is the writing of time signatures at the 6/4 to 7/4 part in Water; it sounds more like groups of 3/4 and 4/4 to me, with the accenting, but that's just in terms of transcription; the motif itself is one of my favourites.

I'll try to get back in in a few more days to give a more detailed crit and analyse the other sections, but if I don't, please don't hesitate to PM me to remind me.

Great work, keep it up!

Last edited by juckfush at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by juckfush
The only thing that's of any concern is the writing of time signatures at the 6/4 to 7/4 part in Water; it sounds more like groups of 3/4 and 4/4 to me, with the accenting, but that's just in terms of transcription; the motif itself is one of my favourites.

Yeah, now that you mention it, it probably should be groups of 3/4 and 4/4. Whatever. I'm too lazy to go change that, especially because that section (the 6/4 - 7/4 part of it and the drum part at least) are repeated elements throughout each act in order to tie them all together.

Dude, if you ever find the chance of recording this professionally, I will buy it straight away.

Edit: is aether the biggest movement because aether exists in bigger quantity or is that a coincidence?
Last edited by Vitor_vdp at Aug 19, 2010,
To be honest, it's the biggest one because I had a lot of shit that I wanted to do without the restrictions of having to conform to the way water, air, earth and fire would sound. But I like your explanation better.

Haha you could try exporting to WAV, but I've tried that and I think all it does is record the sound coming out of your speakers through your computer's microphone. But maybe not.

Sounds really great to me... even if it's just Guitar Pro ôO (kind of skipped the repetitions to save some time though ~) (Just noticed, GP needed 1gig of RAM at the end of the song ôo)

You've got to tell us, once you've recorded this epic concept album
†h¥ ÅbØmInÅb£€ §Øu£§ §HÅ£† iN¢In€®Å†€ In h€ÅV€N, wHi£€ pÅnD€MØNiUm'§ VØ£i†iØn §HÅ£† g®ÅN† u§ PØW€®!
It takes a bit of tweaking but you can export as wav in GP5 its just a pain. If you have GP6 you can export to WAV way easier, and you don't have to listen to the whole 50 minutes while it does conversion. Then just convert the wav to mp3 or whatever ipods use.

Anyways, I am about to listen. Also, were you in any chance inspired by Mastodon's idea to do this? Its such an awesome concept I reckon.
My rig: ESP Eclipse II --> bulk amount of pedals --> Orange Rockerverb 50w
I'm in bar 780 and it just keeps on getting better.

I just finished it now, and you deserve this:

(that's because I don't know how to post golf claps)

However, I do need to express one thing I felt about the piece. The ending needs to be bigger! As in, it needs to be grand and massive sounding.
Last edited by Vitor_vdp at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by theFACEdude
It takes a bit of tweaking but you can export as wav in GP5 its just a pain. If you have GP6 you can export to WAV way easier, and you don't have to listen to the whole 50 minutes while it does conversion. Then just convert the wav to mp3 or whatever ipods use.

Anyways, I am about to listen. Also, were you in any chance inspired by Mastodon's idea to do this? Its such an awesome concept I reckon.

Nope, not at all. If anything, I got the idea from Thrice's Alchemy Index. I don't listen to Mastodon really. My inspirations were really just in terms of each act; Water and especially Air were heavily influenced by Explosions in the Sky and other post-rock bands; Earth was somewhat Decemberists inspired (particularly The Mariner's Revenge Song), as well as being influenced by acoustic Mars Volta songs like Televators and Miranda; and Fire had a lot of Thrice (Vheissu and after, when they became less metalcore).

And I really want to get GP6. It looks awesome. I just need to wait until I can easilly acquire it illegally. That way, I wouldn't HAVE to record this. Because chances are, I never will; it's way too long and complex. But if I can export it well and have the tones sound better (which I assume GP6 does), I'd be able to do that.

I'm almost finished fire... it's pretty kool.

EDIT: just finshed listening... wow man, ****ing awesome.
Sig.
Last edited by Darkkon at Aug 19, 2010,
Just got some time to start listen to it, im at act III: earth and all i can say is WOW. this is awesome so far i wish i could do something like this but great job so far!!

and as anyone been able to export it cos i want this on my ipod lol but i dont have time to do it with GP5?
Quote by slayerfrk
i cant open it with tux guitar or guitar pro....

Do you have Guitar Pro 5?

jesus man. How the hell do you pull this off? seriously, every time you put out a new piece, I suddenly feel like I need to quit writing music haha
Critting as I listen--

Water:
Great job programming the delay, with the RSE it sounds like a real recording. Definitely captures the mood I associate with water. The change around 31 sounds great, nice flow with the odd time signatures, which is hard to do. You progress it very well, keeping it interesting, though my only complaint is that you really don't have much of a melody, or at least one that stands out. Then again, a lot of progressive instrumental stuff doesn't. I like the triplets a lot at measure 55 and that general area of the piece. 65's chords are very nice, and add a bit of a motivic melody there, which is nice. The slow down at 89 is a nice change up, necessary to keep the attention of the listener.

Air:
Starts off sounding like something from Final Fantasy X :P Love the slow melody that Guitar 1 plays, makes you feel like you're floating. Kinda of impressionist harmony here, sounds like Debussy with the delay effect. The build up at 155 is really nice, and I'm sure it'll sound really cool if your record it. Guitar III's sixteenth strumming sounds cool but then when you break up the chords with the odd rhythms sometimes it makes me think of good math rock. Love the chords at 168 onward, very jazzy (example of beautiful dissonance )

Earth:
First off, the transition to Earth is every so slightly abrupt. It works, but I feel like you need to build up a little more before you slow down again. And don't completely stop then start up again, have something hold over as the new parts come in, trust me it'll work much better. The actual section is beautiful though, no complaints there. The drums add a nice feel to it, like traveling down an abandoned road during the fall. Very introspective sounding to me. The vi-V-i progressions are very nice, and the latin\italian variation at 239 just ****ing awesome.

Fire:
Love the bass, very progressive sounding. Definitely math rock influenced, with a strong prevalent jazz sound. Drums work perfectly, though I feel like the piece could benefit from some distortion here as it would fit better with the style of the drumming, though clean guitar with metal drumming is also cool sounding (like Animals as Leaders kinda stuff).

Aether:
Honestly, my ear and attention span is a bit exhausted by this point. This is a good change up from Fire though, slows it down again. Love the part at 538, very good chord progression and the accents and rhythm of the guitars playing in unison is a perfect cresendo. I feel like this section drags on a bit, though maybe that's just because the piece is so long. The ending is a great decrescendo, just fading out until everything is done.

Overall man, this is amazing! I loved it. My only complaint is there wasn't enough melody to keep my interested throughout, as I zoned out a bit here and there. I'm used to listening to long classical pieces so I was able to pull through it, but I'm sure there will be a lot of listeners who won't be able to make it through a 50 minute piece haha. Besides that, as I said before, loved it and really wanna hear a recording
This definatly sounds like something i'd buy. The intro reminded me a little of Opeth's Still Life album. Good job, i'll definatly listen to all of this!

Edit: Shit man. This is great. i love long songs but i've never heard a 50 minute prog rock song. i would definatly like to buy this when recorded.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Aug 21, 2010,
Hey first of all thanks for critiquing my fusion piece, I really appreciate it. Now for my review of yours:

There are two ways I can conduct this review I think. One is to criticize the piece as a whole and all the themes within it, and the other is to criticize it in five parts; reviewing each act not only how it stands on its own but also how it relates to the other acts in the whole piece. Just to avoid any perceived hostility from me I will begin by saying I absolutely loved this. Each movement was very good and most of the themes were well composed and there were not many hitches in the piece. By hitches of course I mean bad or rough transitions. Notwithstanding the fact that I enjoyed it a lot I have to critique it because I felt it did not fulfill its supposed purpose. Because you settled for this idea of composing a movement for each of the five Greek classical elements, you were immediately tasked with the responsibility of writing in a thematic way in order to bring out different emotions from the concepts you were working with. To be quite blunt I felt you did not accomplish that. If you will allow me to be a bigot for a second, I felt that none of the movements accurately represented the elements you were writing around. I am well aware this is only because the sounds and emotions I associate with the elements are set in stone in my mind, and the emotions I have felt and the music I have heard in regards to these themes have shaped these ideas. I can't tell you it doesn't work because it very well may in your opinion, but just to avoid confusion because some of my arguments may be axiomatic in reference to that complaint (but hopefully not).

Now, to the piece again. As I said, I felt it to be a complete failure in capturing the essence of each element, and making each movement unique. I heard virtually no difference between the water and air movements. The other ones only had slightly different melodies and rhythmic concepts. What I'm getting at is: I think this piece was too monotonous. Highly enjoyable of course, but monotonous. Many of the themes are similar to others, even from other movements. I think what you were going for was: write a main theme and then compose variations of it in all of the movements (of course some acts have themes unique to them, but I still found a great deal of similarity between them oftentimes). This is a good idea to disambiguate the movements and make the piece more concentrated as a whole. The problem is, there is no unique flair to any movement. There might be a slight hint but you don't do anything with it. Personally I think you need to think of each act more as its own composition and less as a part of a bigger composition. Your primary concern should be to make each movement unique. Add instruments that you feel bring out the specific "texture" of that element, write melodies that bring out the sound of it and choose the pace and feeling it bears with it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it seems like you were less concerned about making the movements unique and more about stringing them together. I think it backfired immensely on your part, sorry to say. Lest I repeat myself more I will stop talking about this here. I recommend listening to Gustav Holst's Planets suite if you haven't already. One can learn a lot about writing eclectically samey (wtf) music by just listening to that.

Now for the piece itself and not what it stands for, I think it is by far one of the best things I've heard on here. You did a great job, and this is a very ambitious project. You deserve to be commended for the simple fact that you stuck to this idea and rode it until the very end. As I said I found it very enjoyable. It got a bit tiring near the end I suppose but still; very nice work. I think it goes without saying I will be listening to all of your subsequent works if I can (and if you upload them here). Not many complaints except it can get boring and repetitive in some places. Hardly major quarrels at all. Well done. I hope my critique was helpful at all.
Umh... so tell me, when is the Album with this song out? I must buy it!
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Hey I tried opening it but it wont. Probably because its so big. I have TuxGuitar which is probably why. Since you say it relies on RSE changes alot, it probably wouldnt sound good in tux anyway.
But maybe you could split it into five separate tabs?
Musical Theatre! *jazz hands*

...what am I doing on this site...
OK I got it open in GP5

Wow... just... wow...

You really captured the feel of all the elements. But maybe there should've been a bit more tribal percussion in the Earth bit, to make it sound more earthlike.

Because it's 50 minutes long, its nearly impossible to pay attention to it all. I did like that lead riff in Aether, the one that repeats alot and reappears in the outro. The solos in Aether were great too. But some bits did repeat too much. In a 50 minute piece you've got to constantly grab the listeners attention, though I have a really short attention span
Musical Theatre! *jazz hands*

...what am I doing on this site...
It sounds so amazing, and I can't hear it on tux guitar ;_;

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Yeah wow, I got through to aether and im packin er in, and overall on 472 bars worth i can say: yes it is good. lol. honestly there's just so much i don't even know where to start a crit. but i'll let you know that my favorite is definitely fire. Looking forward to aether for the next several hundred bars tomorrow while i work. I'll and try to post something similarly useless after listening to the second half but a job well done indeed so far.
Quote by Grovermans
Nope, not at all. If anything, I got the idea from Thrice's Alchemy Index. I don't listen to Mastodon really. My inspirations were really just in terms of each act; Water and especially Air were heavily influenced by Explosions in the Sky and other post-rock bands; Earth was somewhat Decemberists inspired (particularly The Mariner's Revenge Song), as well as being influenced by acoustic Mars Volta songs like Televators and Miranda; and Fire had a lot of Thrice (Vheissu and after, when they became less metalcore).

And I really want to get GP6. It looks awesome. I just need to wait until I can easilly acquire it illegally. That way, I wouldn't HAVE to record this. Because chances are, I never will; it's way too long and complex. But if I can export it well and have the tones sound better (which I assume GP6 does), I'd be able to do that.

Way sick that you're influenced by thrice. I was reading the description and this was what came to mind just from reading it. Read the comments too. Seems positive. It's downloading and unzipping right now. Stoked to hear it man!
I have exams this week and don't have time to listen, letalone crit, but next weekend when I'm done I look forwards to doing an in depth crit. I listened to the first minute or so and I'm incredibly excited. When you record it (which you really really really need to to) it'd be cool if there was like some babbling brook/quiet water sound effects in the beginning as it fades in. Listen to The Ground Book by Persefone to hear what I mean.
Aether blew my mind also i really liked water, actually all of them, i just think fire could sound more fire-ish, i don't feel worthy to crit this awesome work I'd buy this