Page 1 of 2
Alright so first im really into the les paul feel and sound but i want a les paul which would last a long time and is pretty reasonable in price im thinking about getting an epiphone which is like half of the gibson models but im not too sure if its gonna last for a long time, so if you were me would you rather invest in a more expensive gibson model instead of a cheaper epiphone model.
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

A band's greatness is measured on Rock Band sales
They're both going to last a long time, depending on how you treat them.
I'd reckon a high end Epi would be better value for money than a low end Gibson, but the Gibson would be worth more in the future.

Go and play a load, and if a Gibson feels better, then go for it! If you rate the high end Epi, then buy one of those instead. Really, you want one that feels right more than one that'll last ages.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
When you think Les Paul do you think Gibson or Epiphone? If you get the Epiphone are you going to be wishing that you had gotten the Gibson? If you wait and save for the Gibson are you going to be wishing that you had an extra $2000 in your pocket?

In my opinion, I would wait and save for the Gibson because why buy twice? Just buy what you want the first time. If they were the same price then what would you buy? Adjust your budget so that you get what you really want.
what country are you in and what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Depends what your budget is
If you can afford a decent Gibson, go for it
If not, get a Epi
We can't really help much here, dude. It just depends on how much you want to pay, which is largely going to be determined by how serious you are about guitar.

Epiphone or Gibson, don't buy blind. Make sure you try it out before any money is given. If I were you I'd just craigslist it and look around for used Studios and Standards and the like. Upmarket Epis, but lower-mid range Gibbos. See what you like and set up a meeting to try it. Just make sure he understands you're only promising to try it - not necessarily to buy it.
Quote by Flying Couch
We can't really help much here, dude. It just depends on how much you want to pay, which is largely going to be determined by how serious you are about guitar.

Epiphone or Gibson, don't buy blind. Make sure you try it out before any money is given. If I were you I'd just craigslist it and look around for used Studios and Standards and the like. Upmarket Epis, but lower-mid range Gibbos. See what you like and set up a meeting to try it. Just make sure he understands you're only promising to try it - not necessarily to buy it.

since when does how much you want to pay have anything to do with how serious a player you are? the guy wants a decent AFFORDABLE guitar. i've met many dedicated players that just plain didn't have alot of cash over the years. i guarentee that there are hundreds of players out there that have equipment that isn't half as good as what you have that will smoke you when it comes to playing.

OP as mentioned try before you buy. i've played top of the line Gibson Customs that sucked and Epi's that were great, its just a matter of finding the guitar that suites you in the price range you can afford.
Quote by monwobobbo
since when does how much you want to pay have anything to do with how serious a player you are? the guy wants a decent AFFORDABLE guitar. i've met many dedicated players that just plain didn't have alot of cash over the years.

Because if he's not a serious player then he probably doesn't care to blow three grand on a Custom Shop piece.
If you're going Epi, go higher end. I have a Gibson LPC, and have played on many Epi LPs, and while the Epi is very good for the money, there is just no comparison IMHO. The Gibson is much better. If you don't mind dropping a couple grand, go for the Gibson. If you'd rather not spend that much (and it sounds like you don't), stick with higher-end Epi. Either way, both are great guitars that will last a lifetime, and you will not be disappointed.

Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
if your nice to an epi itll last forever, and honestly ive played higher end epis that ive loved and gibsons that ive hated so you really just gotta go with what feels right when your at the store playing em
New, you can get a Gibson Studio for less than the price of an upper end Epi. Both will do the job, if you buy used be careful, their are a lot of counterfeits out there and EBay is full of them.

The Gibson stock PUs will be better than all of Epis with the exception of the Gibson or SD equipped high end Epis.
Moving on.....
ebay is crap for buying guitars ...ive been stung twice......aint gonna use them again
Also dont forget the ESP Eclipse with duncans. They cost around $1400 i think which is around the price of a Gibson lp studio. The quality of the ESP is way better. However the ESP has a thinner, lighter body and thinner neck. If u are looking for a traditional les paul, it might not be for u.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
A high end Epiphone is better than a low end Gibson.

Do what I did. Buy a high end Epiphone Les Paul (not a custom) and then just completely customise it over time.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by rajandmaria
ebay is crap for buying guitars ...ive been stung twice......aint gonna use them again

It's pretty much not about "them", it's about picking a good seller. But I understand, there's obviously lot of crap out there including b-stock stuff sold for full price and such.

As for the main matter, I'd say find a model you think feels, sounds and looks good. There's plenty out there, find a good one for you.. You'll get nowhere by asking a blank "this or that" question.
Quote by Flying Couch
Because if he's not a serious player then he probably doesn't care to blow three grand on a Custom Shop piece.

once again you seem to equate money with seriousness. what's up with that. i won't spend 3 grand on a custom shop strat does this somehow make me less of a player? my 88 strat plus does me just fine for a third of the sum you mentioned (and i didn't even pay that much for it). obviously the guy can't afford that kind of money and neither can alot of players "serious" or not.

by the way a quick look at your equipment list shows you have an Epi so what you aren't 'serious' enough to get a gibson either . (by the way not trying to be a dick at all but your presentation doesn't effectively get your point across)
Last edited by monwobobbo at Aug 19, 2010,
just going to add this: a top-end epiphone will mop the floor with a low end gibson.

just food for thought.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Gibson hands down. But, try them for your self. If you prefer the way one feels,plays and sounds over the other buy it.Personally I have never played a Epiphone Les Paul that felt like anything other then a plastic toy.Epi makes some great guitars but the Les Paul is not one of them IMNSHO. YMMVETTLDP
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
You're going to have to play a bunch of each. What one person likes, another may not, and both lines have differences in them.

Epiphones have the prettier features at a lower price point, but Gibson has a headstock that won't make your eyes bleed. (Christ on a cracker, they're ugly)

Epiphone has poly finish, whereas Gibsons have nitrocellulose - they both feel different so that's entirely up to preference.

Just a couple examples.

I will say this though; if you're planning on dropping a couple grand on a Gibson, get a used Historic. They're far better than the USA Standards and you can get them for around $2000.

Mine was $2100 shipped.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 19, 2010,
I like Gibson. But depending on models, you could get an Epi Elitist and get an amazing quality guitar.
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by monwobobbo
once again you seem to equate money with seriousness. what's up with that. i won't spend 3 grand on a custom shop strat does this somehow make me less of a player? my 88 strat plus does me just fine for a third of the sum you mentioned (and i didn't even pay that much for it). obviously the guy can't afford that kind of money and neither can alot of players "serious" or not.

You are completely missing the point. I am saying that someone who doesn't plan on sticking with it - or who has an urgent need to be frugal - should probably weigh their choices heavily before blowing such an amount. That is all. If he's not a huge player, he might consider discounting the Gibson altogether and stick to Epiphone. I am not saying the inverse - which is "Epiphone is for poor people and losers lololol buy a Gibson nub!111!1"
Quote by monwobobbo
by the way a quick look at your equipment list shows you have an Epi so what you aren't 'serious' enough to get a gibson either . (by the way not trying to be a dick at all but your presentation doesn't effectively get your point across)

No, I don't have a Gibson... anymore. I sold it to fund a custom job.
Quote by siverstorm
But what I'd really do is get an MIJ LP copy.

This is what I'd do. Particularly, I'd find a used one so that it won't lose a ton of value if you don't like it - that way it's no skin off your nose if you don't. But if you're not into buying a guitar you've never even seen before that's perfectly understandable.
Quote by Flying Couch

This is what I'd do. Particularly, I'd find a used one so that it won't lose a ton of value if you don't like it - that way it's no skin off your nose if you don't. But if you're not into buying a guitar you've never even seen before that's perfectly understandable.

OH yea, I forgot to mention that o...o my bad.

But I know it sounds good having played an Edwards LP in person.

http://www.petelacis.com/2008/11/05/gibson-les-paul-vos-1960-vs-edwards-les-paul-lp130/

Just found that by searching "Edwards LP neck" And just by reading up apparently Edwards LP necks are "not as thick as the Gibson 50s but not as thin as the 60s"

Edit: I wouldn't know any comparisions to real Gibson necks myself as I don't tend to play Gibson LPs

So it's in the middle if that helps at all. Plus if you get an Edwards we can form a club. The two person Edwards players club
Last edited by siverstorm at Aug 19, 2010,
For the most part...the Gibby will have better parts...ie wood, electronics, and hardware. Not that the Epi is a POS, I've played some Epi's that were fantastic and Gibby's that were 9lb turds. Play as many as you can and buy the one that feels the best. I always play an electric guitar unplugged first, if I don't like how it feels and sounds I move on.
One thing to keep in mind about getting MIJ copies though- on ebay the sellers of said guitars tend to be in Japan. Meaning you'll get raped for shipping. But if you get a good deal it's so worth it.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
One thing to keep in mind about getting MIJ copies though- on ebay the sellers of said guitars tend to be in Japan. Meaning you'll get raped for shipping. But if you get a good deal it's so worth it.

Quote by Katana guitars (the ones I posted)
Shipping Rates:
ZONE 1
$130 US Dollars
United States, Australia, Fiji, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Is, Barbados, Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, Bahrain, Cyprus, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, & United Arab Emirates.

And they ship via EMS, and I know from experience that EMS is incredibly trustworthy. I've had small things shipped to me like books, CDs, jewelry via EMS with no problems. And one of my friends bought a bass off ebay and had it shipped via EMS. It came to her in perfect condition.

If you buy that Edwards LP it's

840+
130+
taxes
I'll prolly never buy a guitar mail order. I want to play it before I buy it, just like my women.
Quote by Platinum Pro
Before you make your choice on which brand you want, check out Agile's line of les pauls. They have some very nice les paul shaped guitars on there for alot cheaper than you would pay for a Gibson, or an Epiphone.

Seconded.

I have an AL3100 and it's great, especially for being 450 shipped with a hardshell case.
go for the gibson but do not buy a studio or a standard 2008 model.

if you can find a pre-2008 build standard or a classic go for that. otherwise check for a traditional or, if you wallet lets you, a custom.
If you can afford a gibson then buy a gibson. I have an Epiphone SG that has lasted me 2 years and still going strong now. What I would suggest is getting a mid range Epiphone and equiping it with better pickups for a better sound.
Agile over Epi.
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by wolvenrick
go for the gibson but do not buy a studio or a standard 2008 model.

if you can find a pre-2008 build standard or a classic go for that. otherwise check for a traditional or, if you wallet lets you, a custom.

I think you mean pre-2006, if you're trying to avoid the chambering.

Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I wouldn't bother with Gibson or Epi if it were me - they're big names but they're nowhere near as good as they once were. Try an ESP Eclipse with Seymour Duncans, a PRS SE Singlecut, some kind of Tokai or any one of the many good LP Copy Brands on the market.

Not sure what you're on about. The guitars they make now aren't quite as good as a real '58 or '59 Les Paul made from old growth Honduran mahogany but the ones made post-2006 are some of the best Gibsons I've ever played. They finally brought back the proper neck dimensions and tenon length.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 20, 2010,
Page 1 of 2