Heres the deal...
I'm willing to spend, say, $1000 bucks, budget got cut because my Apartment rent went up ( )

My original plan was spending $1600

-> New Laptop
-> Mbox 2 mini
-> KRK RP5 G2's
-> 1TB External HD
-> MXL 990
-> Random cheap V shaped guitar (I already have my tried and true SG, I just wanted a V for aesthetic purposes)

It was quite a modest set-up honestly, albeit IMO, the best one...

NOW...

With only $1000 bucks, I can't get 2 things...and I absolutely HAVE to get a new laptop for school and a 1TB external HD just to export all the stuff I already have and have room for what I know its going to be sure to come regardless of the rest of the equipment...

With that said, I'm currently using a simple Behringer Guitar-Link for an AI, in all honesty, I think I make it sound decent, still though, even though it mostly is up to ones skills, there is definitely a certain quality you're just never getting in a million years with it...

I have some decent headphones, AKG's, but we all know whats wrong with mixing on headphones, although I know mine enough to know what to get at, it'd still be nice to have some monitors....

ANYWAY, what I'm asking is for recommendations on out of that list what I should get for the absolute best recording situation (until I get enough cash to buy the rest) and what you'd recommend specifically to buy (a certain laptop, different set of cheaper monitors, etc)
Quote by legallydead
As for laptops, any macbook pro. Nuff said. The line 6 tone ports are pretty nice... cheap monitors? umm I would say just search musiciansfriend.

i think he said $1000, you won't get a low end Mac under or even for that. You'd have to take out a mortgage if you want a high end one .
Quote by Afroboy267
i think he said $1000, you won't get a low end Mac under or even for that. You'd have to take out a mortgage if you want a high end one .

Lol lord knows thats the truth, I should've specified PC anyway. It's funny it was mentioned because most of my friends spent all their money on macbook pro's and didn't even get any other equipment and the laptop alone broke them and they had to sell them later on when rent was due.
Quote by Sami Philadelph
Lol lord knows thats the truth, I should've specified PC anyway. It's funny it was mentioned because most of my friends spent all their money on macbook pro's and didn't even get any other equipment and the laptop alone broke them and they had to sell them later on when rent was due.

i'll be surprised if they ate that month.

For Monitor's i'd recommend a pair of Alesis M1 Active MK2. i've heard lots of good reviews about these and i'm hoping to get a pair for myself. They're about £240 over here, dunno what that is in Dollars.

Edit: Oh and a Western Digital 1TB External Harddrive, i've had one for a few months and it's worked flawlessly for me.
I have the MXL 990, I wouldn't recommend it. It sounds good, but after a while it starts hissing lots. I'm not the only that this has happened to.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
You could customize a HP dv6t select edition to what you want it starts out at $799 or a dv6t starting out at $649 then customize.
Rode NT1-A? I'll look into that, I want really pro sounding vocals. As far as the Alesis M1's I saw them on sale bundled with an MBOX Mini and it looked like a great deal but I was really afraid of their quality as everyone who reviewed them reviewed them as high quality speakers and not audio monitors geared toward mixing. Have you used them at all?

And I'll look into those HP's, I see they have this new "Envy" line out strictly dedicated to production.
HP Envy's are supposedly very good but the cheapest model is $999 which is you budget and then again you might have to customize it because the specs for that model aren't ideal. But yes they are basically dedicated to production as you can tell just by the looks they're ment to compete with Macs. Also for a little more money some HPs come with Beats Audio like the dv7t, depending on how good the quality is of beats audio you might be able to get away without monitors for a bit.
Also if your going to customize the laptops you only would need to change the processor, RAM, and hard drive. Upgrading the graphics card is optional really. Processor try to get quad core if you could extend your budget 100-200, and the hps come with a free upgrade from 4gb to 6gb DDR3 =). and try to get the fastest rpm on a hard drive. Im posting this just incase you would need help with customizing later on. I'm one step ahead if any steps at all.
Quote by Sami Philadelph

-> New Laptop
-> Mbox 2 mini
-> KRK RP5 G2's
-> 1TB External HD
-> MXL 990
-> Random cheap V shaped guitar (I already have my tried and true SG, I just wanted a V for aesthetic purposes)

For your laptop, dont worry too much. The DV6 and 7 from HP are set to be "gaming" laptops. Meaning they have pretty good specs. Id recommend you finding a laptop that is cheap (<$600) and has at least 2GB RAM and a dual or quad core over 2GHZ. Thats what I use, and I have never had any issues with any of my DAWS on my laptop.

I used to have that interface. It broke unfortunately but it was nice and cheap. I now use a Line 6 GX. Cost about $200. I love it so much. Podfarm is a great amp modeler.

Headphone is not as bad as people make it out to be. As long as you test the mix on other things such as regular speakers etc, youll get a good mix. Also, you cant go wrong with AKG. The monitors can wait a little while.

External HDDS are cheap as chips. 1TB with external power is about $99. For a portable, you could find a 500GB at the same price.

For your mics, Id recommend the Shure SM57 and 58. $100 each, and damn versatile.

Id drop the guitar. I bought a cheap V a while ago because I loved how it looked (and had an Arch Enemy obsession). I was so disappointed with it after about the second day.

SO.

Laptop - 600
GX - 200
HDD - 100
Mics - 100 each.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
I'm sooo gaw-damn happy and satisfied with my Tascam (US122mkII)...

...That I can't help suggesting it ...AGAIN. Sorry for being a pusher about it bro.

This works only if you're into amp software I guess. Which you SHOULD BE! (I tried Shredsuite as my first amp sim program and it's been so much ****ing fun and easy to get a good tone from, compared to using a ****ing direct line-in amp setup, that I haven't even gotten around to trying some of the more popular ampsims out there! Go figure.)

Viva la software-revolusheeon! (Until I can afford decent big-boy equipment... )

Gud luck bro!