So, on a whim, I picked up Dad's old gear he purchased back in the 70's:

That's a 125 watt RMS Traynor Group 3 VC with an Earth cab housing a 15" woofer, horn & yup, tweeters!

As more of a tone project than to really use this for playing out, I am wondering what would be the best pedals (or any other methodology) to get good overdrive and or distortion out of this? The amp doesn't have anything like that on it.

Be looking for some smooth Blues overdrive, but I sometimes jam with some metal heads, so that would be good to. If I could make this work well, it would probably blow their minds to show up with it.

Also, as a side question, the head is capable to use as a pre-amp or a power amp. Can I plug in a smaller tube amp as pre-amp (getting some proper tube OD) and use the head to boost the power? As a pre- or power- amp, do I have the same concerns as speaker impedance, for example? Or is that whole idea just stupid??
I'd suggest unhooking the tweeters and/or horn straight away if you want to use it for guitar, will be far too bright.

Don't worry too much about impedance with solid state amps, they'll tolerate pretty much anything.
If the amp is clean, I'd go with a distortion. Maybe something versatile that can do OD tones as well.
Quote by kyle62
I'd suggest unhooking the tweeters and/or horn straight away if you want to use it for guitar, will be far too bright.

I was thinking that about the tweeters at least. I'll be interested to see how that works out with the EQ. I'm just itching to frig around with this, but won't have time until Saturday.

Quote by kyle62

Don't worry too much about impedance with solid state amps, they'll tolerate pretty much anything.

I understand that. These are matched anyway, but I was more wondering about chaining amps, especially if one or the other is a tube amp.

Quote by 667
If the amp is clean, I'd go with a distortion. Maybe something versatile that can do OD tones as well.

Any suggestions? Lets say money is no object for the pedal... What would a person get? Would a valve pedal be wasted on a SS amp or would it be the perfect solution?
Last edited by Ratraisin at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by Ratraisin

Any suggestions? Lets say money is no object for the pedal... What would a person get? Would a valve pedal be wasted on a SS amp or would it be the perfect solution?

I'm out of the loop as far as distortion pedals go. I had a Metal-Muff and I liked it... but it's harsh.
I hear some manufactures use valves in their dirt pedals, but they are bypassed and are there just for looks.
From what I hear. Blackstar pedals are great. I have a Blackstar head and I love it's distortion - and supposedly you can get the same tones with their pedals - so I'd say look into Blackstar. Also, look into the Tech 21 stuff. I have a SanSamp PSA 1.0 and it's awesome. They have it in pedal form now.

But if $$$ is no object - get an Axe-Fx and use the head for power.
Last edited by 667 at Aug 19, 2010,
i wouldn't bother with a valve pedal, in honesty you won't hear much difference. the 'valve sound' comes mostly from the power section - try a good tubescreamer through a clean valve amp and it can sound very similar to the amp's own preamp drive.

i usually recommend this, plenty of thick overdrive, solidly built, and very cheap indeed: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-Cool-Cat-CO2-Overdrive-V2-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=502874&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=423060872

If your tube amp can be made to safely without a load (eg has a 'silent' switch or similar that disables the power section), or can be hooked up to a dummy load/spare speaker, you could run the effects loop send from it into the loop return of the Traynor (or just the input if it doesn't have one).
That gives you the tube preamp with a big SS power section.
Last edited by kyle62 at Aug 19, 2010,
A lot of people don't like TS's and SS amps. I would go for a distortion that can do OD well with the gain turned down. The Metal Muff is just a Boss MT-2 with fixed frequency and a boost tacked on so if you don't like the MT-2, probably not a good choice plus the stock MT-2 doesn't do a decent OD unless modified.

Maybe a Boss OS-2. A lot of people don't like them but they are really decent pedals. I like the HM-2 also which does a nice OD with the gain turned down. Another good choice might be the ProCo Rat. The Rat is my go-to OD.
Quote by Griffin Effects
A lot of people don't like TS's and SS amps. I would go for a distortion that can do OD well with the gain turned down. The Metal Muff is just a Boss MT-2 with fixed frequency and a boost tacked on so if you don't like the MT-2, probably not a good choice plus the stock MT-2 doesn't do a decent OD unless modified.

Maybe a Boss OS-2. A lot of people don't like them but they are really decent pedals. I like the HM-2 also which does a nice OD with the gain turned down. Another good choice might be the ProCo Rat. The Rat is my go-to OD.

I'm not a huge fan of the MT2, but I own one, and a TS808, so I can give those a try. I have an RP250 as well, so I can get at least an idea of what a couple different drives might be like (I know they aren't replicas; I said an 'idea' ) I was mostly curious if one of those drives with an actual tube in it was more than hype.

Quote by 667

But if $$$ is no object - get an Axe-Fx and use the head for power.

Money was only no object when I thought we were only talking a few hundred bucks. Those Axe FX are nice rigs, though.
I wouldn't bother with the tube pedals unless there was one you really liked the sound of. I like the Guyatone Metal Monster but it doesn't do OD too well. Most of the tube pedals just run the tube on starved voltage which can add a little "flavor" to the sound but most of the drive is really coming from transistors or op-amps. What you want to look for is a pedal that runs off AC which will be able to supply the voltage the tube needs to actually work. Then again, a tube pedal probably won't make your SS amp sound like a tube amp if that is what you're after.
PLease,, I am shaking as I type this. I am 99.9999999% certain I used to own this head. I live in Rochester, NY. In 1977 I had purchased this head along with its mate, a 4X12 cab with wheels and handles on the back to make it easier to move. (It was huge). Our rehearsal hall was broken into in early 78 and all of our equipment was stolen.
The amp was unique, even people who worked for Yorkville denied any such amp was ever made. This frustrated the daylights out of me. I adored this amp. I killed myself to save up enough money to buy it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting anyone to do anything about this 30 some-odd years later, but I just cant believe my eyes. Even the fader on the highest freq of the EQ is missing because I had broken it one day in rehearsal.
Gosh.... PLease forgive me.
Well buddy, I have the same amp. I bought it brand new back in the '70's from a music store in Burbank, California and the word is there were very few made, it was WAY ahead of it's time. Came with the tall 4-12 speaker cabinet with wheels and handle. Besides a preamp outlet, it has a 110-115 v power outlet, handy for plugging in another amp or accessory. The graphic equalizer can used as that, or with the toggle of a switch it can be a phasing unit, where you customize almost any sound you want. It can easily handle two 4-12 cabinets. Very loud. I only used a simple fuzz tone unit for the overdrive sound and a Colorsound Wah Wah. You can make the amp sound any way you want. I took very good care of it and will post a picture. From what I can gather, this unit is like a unicorn, seldom actually seen but stories are told about it. This is a great solid state amp.
Umm...I think he's dead by now, it's been a long time.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20