been taking lessons for about a yearinahalf.and im about as good as you can possibly get after playing for that amount of time.
i know : all major scales,pentatonic,arpeggios (even tho im not good at playing them) and a few other shapes.i know alot of chords even tho i could probably brush up on some.
question is this : what should i do next to go to the next level of playing?
and for those who feel like answering within a hour or so,i have a guitar lesson soon and my teacher recently started wanting me to pick what he teaches me,so please give me something to ask him to teach me (we been learning some songs the last few weeks and before that classical songs,so please no songs,more theory or scale orinited)
Make sure you know all the notes everywhere on the fretboard, and can locate them without any delay. For example, if I were to tell you what note is the 7th fret of the D string, you should be able to tell me that it's an A within one or two seconds. But this is more for you to work on by yourself.

Ask him to start teaching you about intervals and how they relate to each other. IMO, learning scale and chord shapes can be very limiting. If you know how intervals function, you can easily create chords and scales on the fly, which is very helpful if you come across something odd you've never seen before. Instead of scratching your head trying to figure out what scale shape to use, you can figure it out on the fly using intervals and knowing where the notes are on the fretboard.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
thanks page,appreciate it....p.s.i got that it was a A allmost immidietly,the 7th fret spells "bead"f#b....
Quote by CAGEDtheory
been taking lessons for about a yearinahalf.and im about as good as you can possibly get after playing for that amount of time.
i know : all major scales,pentatonic,arpeggios (even tho im not good at playing them) and a few other shapes.i know alot of chords even tho i could probably brush up on some.
question is this : what should i do next to go to the next level of playing?
and for those who feel like answering within a hour or so,i have a guitar lesson soon and my teacher recently started wanting me to pick what he teaches me,so please give me something to ask him to teach me (we been learning some songs the last few weeks and before that classical songs,so please no songs,more theory or scale orinited)

In my opinion, your guitar teacher should have an end game in mind. If he wants you to pick what you learn, it sounds like he's lost sight of where to take you.

If he's been with you a year and a half, he'd be the best judge of where your deficiencies are and what needs to be developed, and should be on them. This approach concerns me. Theres nothing wrong to building a lesson that caters to your interests, but picking what you want to learn entirely, is something else.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
In my opinion, your guitar teacher should have an end game in mind. If he wants you to pick what you learn, it sounds like he's lost sight of where to take you.

If he's been with you a year and a half, he'd be the best judge of where your deficiencies are and what needs to be developed, and should be on them. This approach concerns me. Theres nothing wrong to building a lesson that caters to your interests, but picking what you want to learn entirely, is something else.

Best,

Sean

S/he could be trying to be a "cool" teacher.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Sean0913

Best,

Sean

I'd be worried aswell.

After a year and a half, TS, it just sounds like you know some scale positions and some chord shapes. You don't seem to have much theory under your belt (Correct me if I'm wrong). I would at least expect you to understand intervals, how to build the Major and minor scales and basic chord construction.
my teacher really is good.i talked to him today about wanting to get better and he actually gave me a extra 30 minutes during my lesson (very rare,usually allways trys to get money,lol) he allways teaches me theory to go along with all the chords and and scales and such,intervels i dont quite see the use in sense i basically know the entire fretboard,he has his own teaching method and published 3 books himself to go along with his lessons,the guy is far from unsuccessful.i just dont think he quite gets me and understands i want to be a virtuoso,in this part of the country most of his students probably want to play country or southern rock.i think it will be fine sense i talked to him.thanks for all of the replys,seems my teacher is doing everything fine.(i can construct chords and scales myself,so i suppose that eliminates alot of everyonces concerns?) again,thank you.
Quote by Sean0913

Best,

Sean

but some teachers teach depending on what their student finds interesting.

eg. i learn blues while some one of a similar skill level would learn jazz

but i know what you mean
You might be going about this the wrong way...playing better doesn't necessary mean knowing more scales etc. It all depends on what you enjoy playing but I would say form a band or play music with other people..I really think this is the best way to improve not just guitar playing but general musical knowledge.

Each to their own but I would say being able to play a song confidently and smoothly in front of an audience is far more beneficial than sitting at home and knowing how to use the hungarian minor wibbly dimished scale

It all depends what you enjoy playing and where you want your playing to take you. If you aspire to be the next Steve Vai then great but don't forget some people might argue he has never written a great song in his life.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is try and think about what you mean by "help me get better"?
Music teachers loose many students because they get bored with what the teacher uses as study material. Your teacher probably wants to be ahead of that problem, and wants to offer his students a chance to come up with something they like.

I doubt he will stop teaching you technique and theory. But almost any piece has enough interesting difficulties he can use as a teaching tool, once you know the basics.

Why don't you make a list of your top ten favorite songs (with nice guitar parts of course) and let him pick the ones he deems interesting enough and within your skill range.

(You could add Steve Vai's guitar duel from Crossroads, as a joke ;-) )