I know that there are countless posts with guitar recommandations but i m choosing between two epiphone lp special II¨s. One is mahogany body + mahogany neck + rosewood fingerboard and the other is laminated alder/maple + mahogany neck + rosewood fingerboard. The rest is excactly same only body is different. They both got 2 open coil 700t/650r humbuckers if it matters.

Please help me cuz im total noob and my friend who plays guitar keeps presuring me to by squier affinity strat but i like gibson guitars more.
Why confine yourself to epi specials? you can get a much better guitar if you look around.
budget?

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
well the problem is there is only one decent store around so ill t lleu what they have in that price rank:

squier affinity tele, sss strat and fat strat.

epiphone sg special and those two i spoke of in first post.

yamaha pacifica

ibanez gart60, grx20, GAX30.

and

Jackson JS20.

there are also slightly cheaper squier buillets.

I picked those 2 cuz i liked them best visualy but if some of those are better please recomend me.

Im total begginer and id play all kinds of music but i dont think id play metal and other technicaly difficult stuff.
Quote by donigre

I wouldn't recommend ANY of those guitars.

Pick a guitar that you like the look and feel of. It doesn't matter how good it is as long as it motivates you because you love it. I started out on a BC Rich Wartribe (Kerry King sign) which I loved because of its looks, and that was a motivator to keep me going when there was stuff I had to learn.
I later bought a more useable guitar, and today I play a highend Schecter (which I might had found to be ugly back when I had to chose my first guitar) and I love it endlessly. ^^

You can always buy a better guitar, so buy one that you like and that motivates you now?

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Randall RH150G3
I'd personally go for the Yamaha Pacifica, as they're fairly decent guitars for the money. However if you really want the Epiphone I'd go for the Mahogany bodied one, as it would have a beefier tone. In the end though it's up to you...
Thanks for the replay
Quote by TheBloodstained

Pick a guitar that you like the look and feel of

Thats how i picked those two that i asked about in the first post and since i liked them both equaly and they cost the same i thought i should at least ask which one of them is better. But someone replayed that they wouldnt buy them and asked me bout my budget so i listed all guitars in that price rank that are currently available.

If someone had any expiriance with any of these guitars id be gratefull for any feedback.
If you have to go for the Epi, choose the mahogany body one.

There are other great starter guitars though... for example the Yamaha Pacifica.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by metalriff735
I'd personally go for the Yamaha Pacifica, as they're fairly decent guitars for the money. However if you really want the Epiphone I'd go for the Mahogany bodied one, as it would have a beefier tone. In the end though it's up to you...

well, if they are anything like the Epiphone Gothic series I would go with one of them. I have a Gothic Explorer which is an amazing guitar for the money, and maybe the Epiphones you've tried is just the same. After all you said that they were made of mahogany so you can always upgrade the pickups if the sound isn't good enough. The body wood is definitely okay! ^^

have you got any pictures of the Epiphones you've tried?

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Randall RH150G3
Mahogany one looks just like this one on this adress:

http://www.onlinerock.com/mf_store/guitar/a/Epiphone_Amps/Epiphone_Les_Paul_Special_II_Electr_513150.htm

but it comes without amp.

Alder one looks like this one

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-special-ii-electric-guitar-vintage-sunburst--37106

Well its almost definite that im taking mahogany one. I just dont like pacifica i know that looks arent primary thing but i guess that there is no big difference in quality.

Thanks for recommendations
i bought the special 2 as a starter... cant complain... although you might find a better used guitar in a pawn shop for the same price
Quote by donigre
well the problem is there is only one decent store around so ill t lleu what they have in that price rank:

epiphone sg special and those two i spoke of in first post.

yamaha pacifica

ibanez gart60, grx20, GAX30.

and

Jackson JS20.

there are also slightly cheaper squier buillets.

I picked those 2 cuz i liked them best visualy but if some of those are better please recomend me.

Im total begginer and id play all kinds of music but i dont think id play metal and other technicaly difficult stuff.

]

Out of all of them, I would go for the yamaha pacifica. Great quality for the price
But what ever you like the feel of go for
The weakest part of the Epi Special II is their cheap tuners. I had a Spl II SG and swapped the tuners for a $20 set of Ping sealed gear tuners and it made a huge difference. Recut the nut to help with tuning issues. The pickups were nice and playability was very good. Good fat neck. Pretty cool guitar for the money. If that's the one that makes you happy, I say go for it!
One of my friends has a Epiphone Les Paul Special, it's actually not as abad as anyone on here would say it is. Stayed in tune, hot pickups (I flipped them for her though), great fretwork. Mahogany all the way. I have the SG special, it's great, it's basically the same except shape as the Les Paul (they're so cheap they sound the same), and I slapped a pup cover on the neck to make it good.

Point being: flip your pickups when you get it.
Id go for the Pacifica for it's versatility, or the Jackson for its looks/playability.
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by TheBloodstained
well, if they are anything like the Epiphone Gothic series I would go with one of them. I have a Gothic Explorer which is an amazing guitar for the money, and maybe the Epiphones you've tried is just the same. After all you said that they were made of mahogany so you can always upgrade the pickups if the sound isn't good enough. The body wood is definitely okay! ^^

have you got any pictures of the Epiphones you've tried?

It seems like I'm shooting my own leg here but the Gothics' mahogany top / mahogany body is sorta meh, a bit too mushy. Standard, like the plain top and plus, has alder/maple top which makes some difference (except the ebony one which is mahogany like the gothic)

Necks are fat as well, fatter than standard or custom IIRC.

So I'd really look into the standard+ lines.
Last edited by Rautio at Aug 22, 2010,
Go into a guitar shop, try out guitars in your price range, and choose the best one
Problem solved
hows about you give us a budget OP, and we'll suggest something you wont regret later down the line?