So I play in a 4 piece rock band with pretty decent musicians. We all work hard, and put in a ton of effort and write pretty decent songs.

However, one thing we CONSTANTLY disagree on is my guitar gear. Yes, they constantly lambast my choice of gear. Now keep in my mind that I don't know a TON about guitar gear, but I do know way more than they do, and it is driving me nuts. We play in a heavier rock / spacey band.

Just for shits and giggles, here are the things that have been done / said.

-"You HAVE to get rid of that orange rockerverb and matching 4x12 cab, it sounds like poop for our music!!!"

After I bring a bad monkey pedal to practice to try boosting my signal: "WTF is that piece of shit? you are running a PRS custom 24 through a 2000 dollar amp and you choose that P.O.S pedal?"

After trying new amps out for our style:
-"Meh, I'm not digging the mesa mark v, it is too thin sounding, sounds like crap".

After Trying out the Mesa mark V, JCM 800, Egnator rebel, Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberschall "Yeah man! there it is!...that jcm 2000 on the high gain channel sounds ****ing rockin' - thats the amp we should use!" I purchased the jcm 2000 (used for cheap) just to shut them up. thank god I still have my bogner.

I thought I would share, for the lulz.
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
Tone is subjective... Plus other people hear your tone different to you do when your playing... I'm not saying any of you are right and wrong but again its subjective.
Though I think we can all agree that the JCM2000 OD2 channel sounds like crap.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Just because someone likes a Marshall over an Orange doesn't mean they have no ear for tone. You have a 2000$ amp, and brought a cheap OD to the band, they said something about it, shouldn't you educate them about why the Bad Monkey might be a great pedal for cheap instead of making this thread,w hich IMO doesn't seem to be all that bad in the first place, besides the Orange not looking "cool".
I personally don't see anything wrong with Rockerverb, its matching cab, The Bad Monkey, Mark V, etc and the JCM 2000 is a bit meh so

who knows, maybe the 2000 sits better with the type of music you guys play but I don't care for people like that either. I could see this becoming a real contention point with this band so I'd try to get it squared away if you guys plan on going anywhere.
Rockerverb sounds about 4000x better than a DSL. Your band mates are high. What do they play? Start complaining about their tone and see how they like it. The guitar tone is the guitarists problem. As the drummer in my last band, I thought the two guitarists amps sounded like utter shit and though I made it known to them, I wasn't about to tell them to spend money on a better amp. That's BS, tell them to stfu
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I think we can all agree anyone who dismisses a Rockerverb and Orange cab, AND a Mark V, favoring a shitty, trebly, bright JCM2000 has no ear for tone whatsoever.
The dsls arent completely terrible. Yeah they're not the best marshalls ever but not bad by any means. Although yes the amps listed are miles better . The OP should try being in a band with a 2nd guitarist who has a line 6 spider head and partys too much to buy new gear
Quote by coolstoryangus
The dsls arent completely terrible. Yeah they're not the best marshalls ever but not bad by any means. Although yes the amps listed are miles better . The OP should try being in a band with a 2nd guitarist who has a line 6 spider head and partys too much to buy new gear

I was being a little too harsh (no pun intended) on the Marshall. It's just really hard to dial that brightness out.
Sounds like snobbery from people who don't know shit about tone, just brand names and marketing.

Picking a Marshall JCM2000 over a Rockerverb or Uberschall is a sign of mindless brand loyalty for sure.
Quote by drewfromutah
I was being a little too harsh (no pun intended) on the Marshall. It's just really hard to dial that brightness out.

Yeah true. I had one awhile back and i wouldnt buy another one haha. I didnt mind it too much though.
Quote by coolstoryangus

I was in a band once with a guy that used a Line6 Flextone and had the worst tone I had ever heard. It was sooo muffled and muddy. I couldn't even tell he was playing different notes. No note definition at all. What sucks is that he was an amazing guitar player. I never told him his tone sucked.

As for the Bad Monkey. That's just lame. Just because a pedal is cheap doesn't mean it's no good. The BM is just a Tube Screamer. If you spent a little more $ and brought in a TS would they have said the same thing? Lame. If they don't like it, make them buy you new gear!
Whats worse was the guy that replaced the spider dude had a jcm800 and put it on clean and stuck a boss mega distortion through it. We where playing the br00tz at the time. Granted i had the dsl at the time but my dsl overpowered the jcm800 because of the way it was setup..

I don't think its in the wrong to tell your band members to sort out there tone if you want to overall live sound to be good. I was forever telling the guy to pick up an overdrive of some sort and boost the amps sound and use the volume knob for clean on that jcm800...
Yuck! Well, about a month before we got rid of him, he asked me if I could make his amp sound better. More like mine. A Marshall 2203 with an SD-1 to push it. I turned off most of his on-board effects and that helped a lot. He had just about every effect you could turn on that thing at once on. There was a little hope.

It's not wrong to make suggestions. What sucks is the OP has/had some good gear and could be made to work in just about any kind of band and those comment/requests were completely ignorant.
Were they saying that in reference to recorded tone? IMO, your tone used for recording and live tone might have to be different to sound the same, if you get what I'm saying.

For example: Me and my 2 buddies recorded our first legit song, and my settings on my amp, while thick and bass heavy, in person sounded very harsh with a fizzy, bright top end. HOWEVER, after recording it with a condenser mic and digital multi-track recorder all that harsh top end was gone and I was left with a nice thick, meaty tone. (Other than maybe volume changes for balance, no other changes were made afterwards that I'm aware of)

I had tried recording without that harshness in the live sound, and the recorded tone was unclear and fairly muddy sounding, when in person, they sounded about the same.

I guess my point is that if you've got fancier recording gear than what we had (if you're in a legit band you ought to) you could probably make whatever you're using on a recording sound like anything else, IMO.

Just food for thought.
Funny thing is that if your bandmates each took 3 steps to either the right or left your amp would sound completely different. Tone perception is all relative to were you are standing in the room.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by HellBoy9393
Though I think we can all agree that the JCM2000 OD2 channel sounds like crap.

Yeah. Especially if you use the Tone Shift button. I prefer OD1, but I can make the OD2 sound decent.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by MatrixClaw
Rockerverb sounds about 4000x better than a DSL. Your band mates are high. What do they play? Start complaining about their tone and see how they like it. The guitar tone is the guitarists problem. As the drummer in my last band, I thought the two guitarists amps sounded like utter shit and though I made it known to them, I wasn't about to tell them to spend money on a better amp. That's BS, tell them to stfu

This man.

**** your bandmates, I wouldn't let anyone tell me to get a JCM 2000 over an RV

Seriously. Tell them to

(Invalid img)

And then

(Invalid img)
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.