There has been a small crack in the neck on my Epiphone for a while now. but today I knocked it hard and landed and looks like this ...

Is this DIY fixable? or am I screwed? (I cannot afford any pro prices ****)
Hmm... If you are really broke you could try the DIY Wood glue with some C-Clamps over night -- but I wouldn't. I would take it to a luthier.

EDIT -- Is the fretboard rosewood cracked at all?? Or does everything there look okay incl. the frets?
Last edited by JJ2003 at Aug 19, 2010,
Take it to a luthier/guitar repair shop, to get it checked over.

Also, is the truss rod okay?
The frets are fine. Just the neck joining is ****ed.

EDIT- truss rod is not showing in crack.

Would it be a pricey job to get fixed at the shop? just before I have a heart attack.
Last edited by radio_schizo at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by radio_schizo
Is this DIY fixable? or am I screwed? (I cannot afford any pro prices ****)

Give it a shot, just shove some glue in there, clamp it up until the glue dries and refinish if needed. Thats if nothing else is damaged...
That is no small crack, if it's not done right it's never hold string tension and will constantly go out of tune till it snaps again, read up on it and do what jj said.
~JP~
Quote by cedricsmods
First thing to do is get the strings off. Immediately.

this.
take any tension off of it right away

and I dunno why everyone in here is saying just take it to a luthier. I mean..this is GB&C
if you feel confident enough to clamp and glue it, then we can help you out with that. if it's done right the glue joint'll be stronger than the wood was, but as someone above said, you just need to do it right or else you're asking for it to break again

if you're not too sure about it, a guitar shop can fix it for you, but it may be kind of pricey. how pricey? that really depends on who you take it to
I'm used to seeing epi/gibson headstock breaks, but THIS!?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by james4
this.
take any tension off of it right away

and I dunno why everyone in here is saying just take it to a luthier. I mean..this is GB&C
if you feel confident enough to clamp and glue it, then we can help you out with that. if it's done right the glue joint'll be stronger than the wood was, but as someone above said, you just need to do it right or else you're asking for it to break again

if you're not too sure about it, a guitar shop can fix it for you, but it may be kind of pricey. how pricey? that really depends on who you take it to

Aparantly my bro took his cheap acoustic bass to the shop when the same thing happened and they used this stuff:
We actually have the stuff at home but my bro wasn't too fussed about intonation - while for electric it is a lot more important. I have the equipment at home to clamp and glue it, I'm just not sure how it'd effect the intonation.

Is it a straight glue clamp job? of is there more to it?
Last edited by radio_schizo at Aug 19, 2010,
i've never heard of araldite, but yeah, it's really just a matter of clamping and gluing, especially since it's such a clean break
most people use/recommend titebond original..

and intonation shouldn't be a big issue, since you can adjust the intonation at the bridge anyway. as long as all the frets are in the same place on the fretboard, you'll be fine intonation-wise..just make any adjustments at the saddle like you usually would
It looks like they beefed-up up the heel by gluing another piece of wood on (it's a common thing to do to save on lumber costs). That's the joint that failed...or at least that's how it appears. Titebond and several clamps should fix it. Remember to protect the surfaces of the guitar from the clamps, and wipe away any glue squeeze-out with a wet rag before it dries. Leave it clamped for a day, and give it another few days before you string it back up.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Cheers guys! I might give it a try this weekend...what should I do when applying the glue? I slackened the strings so there is so further tension on the neck but now the gap has closed. How far shall I pry it open? (bear in mind I don't fancy worsening the damage!)
Also how much glue is necessary? is it a case of covering top and bottom then clamping?
You want to get glue down inside the crack. Not gobs and gobs of glue, but definitely a thin covering. You may be able to do that with a syringe, blowing it in with a fan, etc. You need to pry open the crack a little, get glue in the crack, then clamp clamp clamp!

It looks like a very clean break, so hopefully you will be fine!