ok so im looking for a distortion pedal. I play metal, like hmmmmm well we cover from slyer to maiden. but we do have originals. basically what sucks(mt2) and what is made of win(tone bone?)
what sort of price?
The blackstar is full of win, check out ProGuitarShop on YouTube, they review loads of stuff, not all perfect for your job but some could be great.
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
ya i played it and didnt like it, felt like a toy(the digi)

but thanks for the imput
Last edited by hot4teacher at Aug 19, 2010,
EHX Metal Muff with Top Boost best $100 Metal dist. you'll pick up IMO it's the reason Boss made the Metal Core to try and compete since it gives a fuller sound and is pretty great has to run of a wall plug though but worth it.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
budget is $200

i was looking at the muff but cant find any good video.

what about the tone bone hot british?
Boss make some good stuff. Look into theirs.

Maybe a Boss DS-2?
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
as i said in another thread:
digitech hardwire TL-2
true by pass
tone versatillity (tight modern dist, or loose grindy "vintage" dist)
great distortion
4 band eq bass, mid, mid range, treble
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
Quote by hot4teacher
well played a line 6 uber metal today, what do yall think?

Can't say, I wasn't there to hear you play.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Boss make some good stuff. Look into theirs.

Maybe a Boss DS-2?

Right but most people on here are too new school and think boss sucks...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Blackstar distortions are great
Have the DistX and I love it although it's a bit too dark, but the amp EQ can make it right for me
My Band
ESP Eclipse II ACSB SD Jazz/JB
Bugera 6262 head
Benor 4x12 Celestion 12T-75
blackstar ht-distx
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by TokaiEX
what amp are you using, teh mt-2 sounds fine with a decent amp.

No it don't - it sounds pretty shit regardless.

We do really need to know the amp though, different pedals respond differently to different amps and there's also the matter of whether you're looking to replace your amp's distortion or augment it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by rdobson2
Right but most people on here are too new school and think boss sucks...

You're kidding right?
Well I suppose it is very subjective... I mean I myself don't use distortion pedals. I've got settings on my amp and occasionally I use a tube screamer but a friend of mine has a Boss distortion pedal, and even through his micro cube he gets a perfect Petrucci style distortion.

May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
wow thanks for all the imput guys. well im looking to use the pedal as my main distortion. my b52 took a dumb on me so im saving for a new amp. The main thing im playing through right now is a ibanez ss(band practice and small shows) head and my dads jcm800(i can only use this at big shows, not for band practice). the problem is that im giging all the time so i just need something to work for the next month or so till i have my new amp.
how do you like the overdrive of the JCM800 alone (yeah, this is a loaded question)?
if you dig it, Catalinbread DLS.
if you're looking for more horsepower under the hood, DistX, Twilightzone, Dirtybomb, and to answer your earlier question, yes, the Radial HB is the shit, so is their Classic version of the same model.
Stray from Boss. They're all garbage with few exceptions (MIJ stuff, nothing current production). Same goes for digitech in my book. Some like the TL2, I thought it was pretty generic and weak.
On the other hand, there are some badass mods for Boss OD's and dist's out there. And on that note you could always just build a Diefet for next to dirt cheap.
You don't want the Uber Metal. If you thought you were getting good tones from it, I'm sorry, you're wrong. Try the MXR fullbore, very similar, but fuller (no pun intended).

To reiterate, the best of the bunch I named (or that others named before me) are in no particular order:

DLS
DistX (actually all of the Blackstar pedals are pretty sweet)
Twilightzone
Dirty Bomb
Tonebone Hot British/Classic
The Triple Wreck is also about F'n awesome.
...and if you're into traditional tubescreamers at all (most of these are in some way/shape/form atleast a semi-clone), hard to beat a good ol' 808. The DX is pretty good and can be found on the cheap, has a little more on tap than the standard TS9.

Dist/OD's are baskin robbins man, about a million flavors. In the end, you choose the one you like best.
Metal muff with tob boost man.... 3 band eq, i can nail the dead skin mask tone perfectly with it have your amp eq bass-5 mid-0, treble 7, then on the pedal the treble all the way the mids cut and the bass about 3 distortion half way, the top boost is perfect for the solos and some reverb
Quote by psitacosis
Metal muff with tob boost man.... 3 band eq, i can nail the dead skin mask tone perfectly with it have your amp eq bass-5 mid-0, treble 7, then on the pedal the treble all the way the mids cut and the bass about 3 distortion half way, the top boost is perfect for the solos and some reverb

you get this for all of that ^
@Grisky: about the jcm, its way to intense. Like super overpowering mid madness. Plus you half to crank it so loud that you cant even tell their is a guy using a Bugera 6262 right next to me! lol

Well looks like the tonebone is the way to go for now!

P.S. Its a 50 watt jcm! if that gives you and idea of how overpowering the mids from that thing are.
PERSONALLY, i think if you need distortion pedal, you need a new amp.
Jackson kvx10
Yamaha erg 121c
BC rich bronze warlock
Nevada strat copy
Peavey bandit 112
Quote by hot4teacher
@Grisky: about the jcm, its way to intense. Like super overpowering mid madness. Plus you half to crank it so loud that you cant even tell their is a guy using a Bugera 6262 right next to me! lol

Well looks like the tonebone is the way to go for now!

P.S. Its a 50 watt jcm! if that gives you and idea of how overpowering the mids from that thing are.

not to take anything away from the tonebone, but I was asking how you liked the tone apart from the ear-splitting volume you need to hit it's sweet spot. the DLS isn't going to be the EXACT same thing, but ofcourse with it being a pedal (as opposed to an amp) you can get the best from it without all the db's. watch a couple reviews and decide for yourself.

besides, wattage =/= volume. infact 50 and 100w are barely (if at all) noticeable to the human ear.
Quote by 1jack369

Hey bro learn to read, not just post based of off the threads title.
Quote by GrisKy
not to take anything away from the tonebone, but I was asking how you liked the tone apart from the ear-splitting volume you need to hit it's sweet spot. the DLS isn't going to be the EXACT same thing, but ofcourse with it being a pedal (as opposed to an amp) you can get the best from it without all the db's. watch a couple reviews and decide for yourself.

besides, wattage =/= volume. infact 50 and 100w are barely (if at all) noticeable to the human ear.

O its great! Its really everything that the jcm800 hype is all about. Just so so sos so loud. Like heres and example for you, when we play larger gigs where everyone else gets miked up i dont... lol

And ya the tone bone should do its job fine till i get my new amp. side note i just got a seven foot red tail boa
Quote by 1jack369

Personally, I think I just lost 15 IQ points reading this statement.

Boss HM-2 ftw.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2