I played one today at college and thought the clean toned sucked, that's all I could use though.

What's the general consensus of them?
New Marshalls suck man. if you want to hear the real kickass marshall sound that is not sterile or anything go with the jcm800 or jcm900 range.
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Well, all amps are supposed to be good. Nobody over at Marshall wakes up in the morning and decides over his morning coffee that he's going to make an awful amp.

But yes, especially if you're looking at the cleans, the 2000 is a bit lackluster.
I'm not going to buy one, it's all there was for me to play, but it just sounded really dull.
Quote by Roc8995
Well, all amps are supposed to be good. Nobody over at Marshall wakes up in the morning and decides over his morning coffee that he's going to make an awful amp.

I think somebody did exactly that when they created the MG series
Is it just me or have there been like 5 threads on DSLs in the past day or two?

Anywho, I think the cleans are passable. Then again I usually don't like really clean cleans so maybe having a tiny bit of gain covers up whatever isn't so great about it.
I have a huge fear if rays.
You don't really expect a marshall to do great cleans.
The DSLS are alright but not marshalls best work ever by any means.
Quote by Jyrgen
I think somebody did exactly that when they created the MG series

Took the words out of my mouth.

I quite like the DSL2000, as long as you take it for what it is. It's an all-purpose rock amp and at least in Europe, it's not too expensive. Looking at the features, wattage and then at the price, it's pretty clear that it's not exactly a boutique amp. Don't expect wonders from that thing.
Admittedly I like the Laney I picked up for 300€ used a lot better, especially for cleans, but...

where was I going with this?

The DSL's a decent amp, but for what it costs there's a lot of other options already.
I really like the cleans on my DSL... Gain and volume halfway and it sounds very good to me, although I can sorta see what you mean when you say it sounds dull; I keep the deep switch on all the time as it sounds pretty thin otherwise, but then add an additional eq/overdrive pedal to the chain to get some extra bite back on top of that. DSL's take a bit of experimenting (and large amounts of volume) to sound their best!
i really like it.

some people like some don't

just wasn't for you bud
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD

I really like the clean channel on the DSL.

The gain channel is eh by itself, but with a boost, it sounds pretty nice.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The DSL and TSL amplifiers definitely weren't made for clean stuff. They were made to provide more gain and more modern tones. If that's what you are looking for, then it should serve you very well. If you want the classic Marshall sound, look at the JCM 800 series or the Vintage Reissue stuff such as the 1959 SLP or its 50-watt brother the 1987X.

The only worthwhile measure of an amplifier's sound is your own ear. If you like it; fine. If you don't, then it doesn't matter how many people say it is the greatest thing ever made.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by coolstoryangus
You don't really expect a marshall to do great cleans.

Care to rethink that?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i like the dsl, but i agree it is a bit lackluster. as someone said, its good for what it is. pretty inexpensive, gets loud, and has a good range of tones. nice amp for someone starting out gigging, doesnt have a huge budget, and needs a decently wide array of sounds. little bit of chorus or other modulation does seem to help those cleans though.
Quote by Roc8995
Nobody wakes up in the morning and decides over his morning coffee that he's going to make an awful amp.

Quote by papersun87

That wasn't intentional. It was the drugs.

They should've just said no.

550 watts? it's Fender trying to top the idiocy of the MG
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH

550 watts? it's Fender trying to top the idiocy of the MG

I don't know. A 550-watt Marshall MG might actually be interesting.
Quote by MatrixClaw

I really like the clean channel on the DSL.

The gain channel is eh by itself, but with a boost, it sounds pretty nice.

Best bit of info in the whole thread IMO.

I like my DSL quite a lot. If you sit down, EQ it, its a great amp. Its very versatile IMO. I can get country clean, dirty blues, heavy and hard rock, and even metal. It gets pretty extreme with a boost too
WHO DOES NOT WANT A 550 F***ING WATT AMP.

Seriously, one day when I learn how make amps, I'm going to make a tube amp with like 22 power tubes and like 70 preamps. So many tubes that the world will explode from the pure awesome. Maybe put in like 10 rectifier tubes for the lulz.

Wait... what are those giant tubes that someone made some amp with a ridiculously high wattage? I thought it was like 1000 watts but that just seems stupidly high.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by ChrisBW
Wait... what are those giant tubes that someone made some amp with a ridiculously high wattage? I thought it was like 1000 watts but that just seems stupidly high.

I think you mean this:

http://www.chambonino.com/construct/const13.html

We are getting a bit off topic, though. I think the TS will be well served with a Marshall DSL amplifier.