Does anyone agree that E flat sounds so much better than standard? I'm not sure why it does but it just seems to sound more epic. Some artists use(d) E flat most of the time e.g. Guns N' Roses, Jimi Hendrix, and I heard Hendrix preffered it to standard.
maybe thats why it never sounds quite right when i hear people play hendrix, they are in standard and he was in Eb. Anyway, I like to tune Eb on occasion and i could agree that it sounds better.
I use Eb and Drop Db a lot. I like the tuning(s) a lot more than E standard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Eb does make the tone a bit darker. I too agree that it sounds better than standard E tuning.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
"Epic" is a result of composition and EQing. A band who knows what it's doing in terms of songwriting AND adjusting their tone will be able to make something sound amazing whether they're playing in Drop E on an 8-string or an open tuning on 6-strings.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I've never gone back to Standard tuning from Eb tuning. I just like the edgy, darker tones you can explore with Eb and Drop Db; there's alot more to experiment with since it's less commonly used. Plus I just like the sound in general. I hardly ever go into Drop C, D or E Standard except for certain songs, and I always end up back at Eb or Drop Db.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Yeah I more or less always use Eb or Drop Db. Standard is kind of a lame tuning...but that's just me

also, Alice in Chains is another band that uses Eb pretty much all the time
Well, I usually don't play around with tunings(Drop D, Drop C and the like aren't my thing), but I think Eb is a great tuning, I've got my Dean set to it.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by DrNick
"Epic" is a result of composition and EQing. A band who knows what it's doing in terms of songwriting AND adjusting their tone will be able to make something sound amazing whether they're playing in Drop E on an 8-string or an open tuning on 6-strings.

Thank you, ive written a death metal song in standard that sounds far more Br00talz than guys that use 7 string guitars and all that shit, its all about Eqing and songwriting
Eh.
Quote by Himelnator
Thank you, ive written a death metal song in standard that sounds far more Br00talz than guys that use 7 string guitars and all that shit, its all about Eqing and songwriting

I can chug all day in E standard and have it sound thick and chunky. I can also write up a jazzy clean riff in Drop B. Tunings shouldn't really dictate the direction that your music takes. Just my two cents.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Tuning down a half step, or even a quarter step, from standard seems to bring new life to songs I got tired of playing after the millionth time. My main stays in Drop Db.
The answer to your question is....no.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I like staying in standard tuning rather than e flat tuning or as some people call it d sharp tuning. A lot of my stuff I play like led
zeppelin, dream theater, megadeth, metallica, is primarily in standard tuning.
It's all personal preference, really. I personally prefer to play in Eb/D# as it's easier to pull off bends and a lot of the bands I listen to (Slayer, Cannibal Corpse).

I know some artists tuned their guitars to say, 1/4th under E or under Eb just to keep things interesting.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Personally, I hate Eb tuning and everyone that uses it.

D# tuning ftw.

lol oicwatudidthere
I always use Eb std, but that's probably because a lot of classic rock songs are in that tuning, so it's just convenient.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
"way better"???

A semi-tone is not really that much different, and a lot of bands do it to help their singers hit the high notes.
All you get is one half note to the bottom.

If you really think that that makes "everything sound better" then poo on you.
I actually prefer D standard/Drop C. Why? Because I like it. Bitch. That and I sing too, and D standard/Drop C fits my vocal range better.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by AlexAngus
"way better"???

A semi-tone is not really that much different, and a lot of bands do it to help their singers hit the high notes.

I agree.

It's different but not way different.
I seem to be able to get some chunkier tones in Eb std and drop Db but I don't use it exclusively.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by EvilAngel93
I've never gone back to Standard tuning from Eb tuning. I just like the edgy, darker tones you can explore with Eb and Drop Db; there's alot more to experiment with since it's less commonly used. Plus I just like the sound in general. I hardly ever go into Drop C, D or E Standard except for certain songs, and I always end up back at Eb or Drop Db.

This, exactly for me.

Though I hate talking in flats. I'm always in Drop C#, or D# standard.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Eb standard and E standard arent that far off. not much epicness to it. like mentioned has to do more with eqing and the musician than the tuning. when it comes to standard tuning i like to play in C standard. low but not too low. happy medium.

also, i call them all standard due to the fact they are all in the same note structure. so dont get thrown off by this. makes more sense to call them all standard due to it deriving from E standard. just with lower notes.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Aug 19, 2010,
I think most of the time it depends on your playing situation...if you play in a band with a keyboardist then most of the time they get weird when u wanna tune to eflat...or if you play in a band with people that play in other bands that are too lazy to tune different with each band...in a perfect world I'd tune eflat all the time most of my "solo" stuff is in that tuning...sometimes it helps to tune to eflat if whoever is singing can't hit higher notes
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
for down right rock hell yea it sounds way better. but since i also like to play a little chili peppers and doobie brothers and what not i think that E standard sounds better for that.

guns n roses, hendrix and tons more sound way better in Eb
I agree that Eb has a nicer tone due to the slightly slacker strings
I also think that things are much easier to play in Eb
I think people become accustomed to playing certain chords in standard style tunings, so instead of playing in a different key and making it sound different that way, they play it in a different tuning to make it sound different.

I reckon it sounds "better" if you've become used to standard, but once you've become used to Eb and then go back to standard, it's like a breath of fresh air all over again.

Pretty much I just change the key I'm playing in if I think it sounds better that way, I don't change tunings unless I'm playing along to a track.
Quote by MegaDTSX
C Standard is where its at

But I'm usually in E standard, although I love Eb too.

I have my guitar in C Standard too.

I'm looking for another one though to have one in E
Drop C sounds even better than standard

Nothing like some chugga chugga. on the Low C with bass at full, That shit shakes rooms

However Drop B is also lol for Chuggachugga

it's a matter of taste
TommyVanHalin
Oh yeah brother E flat is all I use sounds much tighter than standard and helps the singer as well we get a much heavier sound that way and Kiss uses e flat on most all of their stuff