I just got an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, it arrived today.

After a few minutes of fiddling around with it, I noticed that there was a lot of fret buzz, only on the A string in around the first position from frets 1-5 (and fine from the 6th fret onwards). It doesn't buzz when I play the open string, however, when I fret it, it does buzz but only on the first 5 frets.

What should I do?

Sorry, I'm a bit of an electric guitar noob
Go to a local guitar shop if you can't fix it yourself.
you need the right tools.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Yet another thread about an ordered Epi needing a setup on delivery. That's about 50 notes worth.
Did you save that much compared with trying and buying at a shop?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I don't have many music shops near me, only shops that sell traditional instruments, they have guitars, but they're the budget toy like ones like Starcaster by Fender (not Fender Starcasters) etc...
So where and how did you buy? New on-line from a reputable dealer or used via Craigs List or Ebay?
Moving on.....
Via GAK.co.uk

I emailed them beforehand if they could set the guitar up for me before delivery, but they told me that the guitars are inspected and ensured they are set up correctly by epiphone before they are sold. Sounds like a load of bull to me, I guess I'll just have to get it set up
i surely wouldn't do it myself :S

if you can, just drive a long long way and get it set up.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Just keep it and play with it until you're able to go to a professional and have it set up.
sounds like the neck is bowed back slightly...stick a heavier set of strings on it to check or if ya feeling brave - a eight/quarter turn of the truss nut anti clockwise
Jackson DK2M
Jackson DKMG (81/85)
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960a
Boss GT-8 4cm
Just fret the Low E at the first fret and also at the 17th Fret at the same time to form a straight edge. Do this with the guitar in playing position.
Now look at the gap (if any) between the crown of the 7-9th frets and the bottom of the Low E. This is your neck relief. If not enough the strings will buzz, if too much the strings will buzz. Normal range is from 0.004 in to 0.010 in.
Moving on.....