Hey guys, finally it's almost time... and well I've been working hard at guitar... but I'm still not up to standard yet. Here's the requirements... can someone tell me what's the hardest part in their opinion? So I can better prepare myself in the weakest part... (no compromise though...)

Knowledge of note names on the fingerboard
Scales:
• 2 octave major scales
• 2 octave harmonic minor scales
• 2 octave melodic minor scales

Chords:
• Major, minor, diminished and augmented triad arpeggios
• MAJ 7, mi 7, mi7b5 and dim 7 chord forms
• I-VI-II-V progressions

Reading:
• Single note examples of medium difficulty
• Chord charts to standard jazz tunes of medium difficulty

Improvising:
• Basic jazz blues
• Chord progressions to standard jazz tunes of medium difficulty

Chord melody arrangement:
You must prepare a chord melody on a standard jazz tune. In a chord melody the melody and accompaniment of the tune are played simultaneously making the guitar a completely self contained instrument. It is advised that you get assistance from a qualified instructor to prepare this requirement.

I'm not that worried about the scales, but I'm really worried about the chords and improvisation. My reading... is still being brought up to standards but it's not THAT bad.

I pretty much have a good idea about the chords theory wise and how it looks like on the fret board. Not too sure what's the Mi7b5 yet... I'm guessing... something along the lines of Minor 7th with a 5th? (never was the chord guy :S)

Yeah... reading/scales/chords are sorta memory/practice/understanding...

but not too sure about the improvisation and chord melody arrangement? Help?

Chord melody arrangement... is it like classical guitar? or is it like one of those jazzy bouncing melody and chords thing?

Thanks guys! Last year of high school!
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
Quote by NecroticSoldier

I pretty much have a good idea about the chords theory wise and how it looks like on the fret board. Not too sure what's the Mi7b5 yet... I'm guessing... something along the lines of Minor 7th with a 5th? (never was the chord guy :S)

Mi7b5 is a Minor 7th chord, in which the 5th of the chord is lowered by a semitone, ie., The 5th is flat, hence b5.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
Mi7b5 is a Minor 7th chord, in which the 5th of the chord is lowered by a semitone, ie., The 5th is flat, hence b5.

OH! I see now! yeah... guess that b wouldn't be that helpful after the 5 :S. I think I have played these chords a couple times at least! Thanks!
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
If you have not worked with a Jazz Teacher on Chord Melody arrangements it might be too late to apply on this and be accepted. I'm not trying to be mean, but that's not something you can wing. When is the deadline for the audition? I don't want to bust your bubble, but really you have to be prepared for these things, and know all facets of these auditions reasonably well. It might be a good learning experience to apply and not make it, because many do that and realize what its going to take, and they get their skills in order and make it the next time.

Its a good way to gear up and show you have the discipline to make it through. Good luck man, I hope you make it.

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by Sean0913
If you have not worked with a Jazz Teacher on Chord Melody arrangements it might be too late to apply on this and be accepted. I'm not trying to be mean, but that's not something you can wing. When is the deadline for the audition? I don't want to bust your bubble, but really you have to be prepared for these things, and know all facets of these auditions reasonably well. It might be a good learning experience to apply and not make it, because many do that and realize what its going to take, and they get their skills in order and make it the next time.

Its a good way to gear up and show you have the discipline to make it through. Good luck man, I hope you make it.

Sean

:S Thanks man, yeah I know... I'm not as prepared as I should be... and bad news... the dead line is in march... early march. This is really against the odds... sorta feels like I'm against the world now. Actually... I think I do understand it now it's just the classical guitar chord thing. (sigh) I've only attempted it on a couple of songs.

Unfortunately... it seems like this is a one shot deal for me... because I feel pressured to not fail... so I have backup plans like photography or film.

I don't want to stay back a year or anything...

My guitar teacher believes in me and he says I have talent... but I don't believe in myself.

Yikes... I better play everyday, in the morning, at lunch, during school, and on all my free time.

EDIT: Even though... it is a one shot deal... that does not mean that I do not care for music :S, I really wished I was a hardcore die hard guy, and well life just worries me, I can't always play music happily...
Last edited by NecroticSoldier at Aug 19, 2010,
Here's the thing dude, I don't want to scare you, but Humber is absurdly hard to get into for performance. Some of the best musicians I've know have been rejected. If it doesn't happen though, you can always audition after a year of serious preparation. Don't think of it as "staying back a year," because if guitar is what you love playing, it's much more accurate to see it as continued education.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
Here's the thing dude, I don't want to scare you, but Humber is absurdly hard to get into for performance. Some of the best musicians I've know have been rejected. If it doesn't happen though, you can always audition after a year of serious preparation. Don't think of it as "staying back a year," because if guitar is what you love playing, it's much more accurate to see it as continued education.

Yeah that's true... but not sure if my parents are into that idea... I don't know what I'd do for that extra year except for lessons, I don't want to stay in high school.

Yeah I love guitar... but I'm still not really sure what I want to do with it, and how I'm going to make a living off of it... I didn't used to care about money and stuff, but now it's getting closer to the real world... and well people need money to survive ;/.

It seems like the perfect time to play guitar though...
If you can't get in this year, just work somewhere for a year and practice whenever you get the chance so you're ready for next year.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
If you can't get in this year, just work somewhere for a year and practice whenever you get the chance so you're ready for next year.

Sounds like an option... but I couldn't really find a job anywhere. Is it because of the long hair :S?

EDIT: Nvm this is largely irrelevant to my starting topic. I'll try and find a job, and if I can't I guess I'm out of luck... and will come back when I'm older ;/. I really don't want to give up on it though.
Last edited by NecroticSoldier at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by NecroticSoldier
:S Thanks man, yeah I know... I'm not as prepared as I should be... and bad news... the dead line is in march... early march. This is really against the odds... sorta feels like I'm against the world now. Actually... I think I do understand it now it's just the classical guitar chord thing. (sigh) I've only attempted it on a couple of songs.

Unfortunately... it seems like this is a one shot deal for me... because I feel pressured to not fail... so I have backup plans like photography or film.

My guitar teacher believes in me and he says I have talent... but I don't believe in myself.

Yikes... I better play everyday, in the morning, at lunch, during school, and on all my free time.

EDIT: Even though... it is a one shot deal... that does not mean that I do not care for music :S, I really wished I was a hardcore die hard guy, and well life just worries me, I can't always play music happily...

March?

That's great news! You might have to woodshed, but if you have till March, that's a LOT better than if you had til the end of this month, as I was guessing by the way you started your post. You need a game plan fast, but if you get that going, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to have a good solid chance to get in. You don't need only a guitar teacher, you need a coach, who has these development goals in mind.

Sean
Quote by Sean0913

March?

That's great news! You might have to woodshed, but if you have till March, that's a LOT better than if you had til the end of this month, as I was guessing by the way you started your post. You need a game plan fast, but if you get that going, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to have a good solid chance to get in. You don't need only a guitar teacher, you need a coach, who has these development goals in mind.

Sean

Hehe.... I do need a game plan... and I have a guitar teacher... I mean he's a good teacher, and a cool guy and such, but I guess I agree with you that I need someone that is a coach, because right now it isn't something I can work at my own pace, it's like a sport right now.

Right now I don't seem to be going anywhere with my guitar teacher except for learning cool licks, reading music notes, chords, and learning songs. There really isn't an ultimate goal right now... except for just improving as a player (sorta vague...).
Chord forms are pretty easy. If you've got until March, you'll be fine. Things like that just take time to really get used to. If you play tunes and use the chords in your practice, you'll be comfortable long before March.

If you really work at it, I'm sure you can pull off the chord melody. I'd recommend doing something that isn't too challenging. I bet you'll look better nailing a solid tune than falling all over yourself attempting something ludicrous.

The good thing about chord melody is that it promotes using smaller, three note chords as opposed to more common four note chords. The bigger chords will be necessary at times, but many of the faster chord transitions will be to three note chords. You'll have to learn some new chords, but you've got time. Don't worry about that.

I'd recommend finding a chord melody arrangement as soon as possible. You could find one from someone else, or you and your teacher could come up with an original arrangement just for you. The key is prioritizing and using your time well. I'm sure you can do it. Even if you don't get in, you'll learn TONS from going through this process. Auditions are a great way to move away from your comfort zone. Good luck!
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
Quote by VeilOfMaya
Chord forms are pretty easy. If you've got until March, you'll be fine. Things like that just take time to really get used to. If you play tunes and use the chords in your practice, you'll be comfortable long before March.

If you really work at it, I'm sure you can pull off the chord melody. I'd recommend doing something that isn't too challenging. I bet you'll look better nailing a solid tune than falling all over yourself attempting something ludicrous.

The good thing about chord melody is that it promotes using smaller, three note chords as opposed to more common four note chords. The bigger chords will be necessary at times, but many of the faster chord transitions will be to three note chords. You'll have to learn some new chords, but you've got time. Don't worry about that.

I'd recommend finding a chord melody arrangement as soon as possible. You could find one from someone else, or you and your teacher could come up with an original arrangement just for you. The key is prioritizing and using your time well. I'm sure you can do it. Even if you don't get in, you'll learn TONS from going through this process. Auditions are a great way to move away from your comfort zone. Good luck!

Thank you! I guess I should work more on chords than trying to be Yngwie Malmsteen haha! Yep I'll practice tonnes!!! thanks for the encouragement!
Quote by NecroticSoldier

http://www.spike.com/video/duck-baker/2902783 - one example.

The whole idea of melody + accompaniment being played at the same time on one instrument by one player is what gave the guitar its legitimacy as something more than just a folk instrument. This is why classical and jazz (which with this chord melody thing is emulating a more classical approach towards guitar playing, including the use of fingerstyle techniques, though with more free compositional forms) are considered, still, the only legitimate styles of music in academic institutions. And before anyone jumps up and down and says, "XXX offers contemporary guitar", I'm talking about *academic* institutions....

Now, March isn't a lot of time. I was in a similar position when I was trying to get into Mac. In the end, I wasn't quite ready in time, but I was ready the following year. Luckily, I was good enough to be allowed the "permission of the department" to take a lot of the degree program courses that required "enrollment in the music program or permission of the department." Basically, I wound up in Humanities in first year, taking nearly all of the courses I would have taken if I was in the Music program, and then got officially into the Music program the next year. Perhaps something like this would be an option for you too?

Quote by NecroticSoldier

If you feel it is a one shot deal and you aren't willing to take an extra year to get in, then you don't have the mind-set it takes to get in under great pressure.

You have to be of a mind-set of, "I *am* going to get in. If not this year, then next, but I *will* get in. It's what I want to do. Not getting in is not an option for me."

Quote by NecroticSoldier

Yes.

Quote by NecroticSoldier

and well life just worries me, I can't always play music happily...

When you're young, you have both time and opportunity. Once you join the real world, both of those commodities are in comparatively very short supply.

I'm a bit worried about your teacher. If he doesn't know what your weaknesses are that need to be addressed to your getting in and have a timeline on how to get you there, he might not be the right guy. You don't have time to be screwing around "learning cool licks." The other stuff is valuable. He needs to be working - in a VERY focused manner - on those things that you will need to do to get in - those chord-melody arrangements and such.

What do you mean by "I can't always play music happily?"

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
chord melody will probably be the hardest, and if you don't even know what they are I suggest you get a teacher too
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by NecroticSoldier

I'm going to be honest with you, unless you have a huge trust fund sitting at home, or have already proved yourself to be a mega prodigy, don't major in photography or film.
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by axemanchris

What do you mean by "I can't always play music happily?"

CT

Like... there's so much pressure around me... both good and bad, you know? I sorta worry about what to do after I get the degree... but another part of me is like I don't care, I just want to learn.

:S... I dunno how to explain it... it's like a barrier.

You're right though, I shouldn't give up so easily if I like something. I guess I'm doubting myself and the world.

I know I want to do this, but I'm not sure what I want to do with this.

Yeah... you're right though, that my guitar teacher isn't really on a time line or anything ;/, it's not focused, it's everywhere.... I mean I learn things... but it's sorta not what I'm driving at.

Hehe wonder if I could do a fly me to the moon chord melody? Wasn't the guitar designed for this? to be the accompaniment and the melody?
Quote by Msword7
I'm going to be honest with you, unless you have a huge trust fund sitting at home, or have already proved yourself to be a mega prodigy, don't major in photography or film.

Here goes my double post :S! Umm... I don't think I have a huge trust fund sitting at home... I tried to find one but I guess someone must have ate it haha.

Eh... I wouldn't call myself a mega prodigy... but I try my best, and good results usually comes out :S.

I'm sure my ideas have been done 1000 times over.