So, I'm saving up for a serious new amp and will probabley end up spending £600+ on it. I haven't decided which one I want yet and will have more than enough by the end of nov/dec.

I'm not sure what amp I'm going for (that will be a future thread) but I need a new practice amp as I'm correctly running a Marshall MG10 with a Danelectro 59'. The amp is terrible and I only play it on clean because the overdrive sounds that bad. I didn't have a clue about amps when I brought it (under a year ago). I'm pretty sure this amp is not doing any good for my playing so I need a new practice amp to fill the gap for when I get a proper amp.

The genres I'm into are psychedelic stuff (pink floyd, hendrix, hawkwind, early verve etc) and harder stuff (tho who, led zep, black sabbath, pistols, clash, iggy pop n the stooges etc), so I'm basically looking for something that's quite versatile and has plenty of room for lots of experimentation.

I'm quite happy to spend £100-150 but would pay more if you think a certain amp would suit me. I want a really nice and good practice

- BTW - I would go down my local guitar shop, but their range of amps is lacking abit.
Last edited by Blacknoise at Aug 19, 2010,
A used Super Champ XD would suit you nicely. It is pretty versatile and is a lot of bang for the buck.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
I've played with the super champ. Pretty sweet for everything except high gain. Hard rock and metal through a super champ are certainly not very satisfying. Cool amp overall, it's a tube amp too and can play quite loud. Pretty expensive for a practice amp at $300.

If you want a practice amp purely for practice and fun and only want to spend $100, you can't beat the peavey vypyr 15. My xxx is in the shop and I have my vypyr handy for just such an occasion. Amazing high gain tones, effects, you can save your favorite tones, it just doesn't get any better than the vypyr 15 for the money.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
They Vypyr 15 is a good amp for the short run.

+1 for being a Hawkwind fan. I used to listen to them a lot in the 70's. "Hall of the Mountain Grill" is one of my favorites.
Peavey Vypyr 15w. It rocks.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Ok. I had a look at some youtube vids on the peavey vypyr 15 and it looks like a pretty good amp with what seems like a huge range of effects.

This being a modelling amp, will the sound quality be good?

I might end getting this, since it's so cheap.
Can anyone tell me if the peavey vypyr 15 will cause a loss of tone with my guitar (Danelectro 59)?

I've read some reviews saying that modelling amps are bad for guitar tone.
Last edited by Blacknoise at Aug 19, 2010,
The Vypyr makes your tone. The cleans are pretty good so your guitar can still sound through. A modeling amp is the only choice you have unless you already have all the pedals you need to get those psychedelic delays and modulations.
Quote by fly135
The Vypyr makes your tone. The cleans are pretty good so your guitar can still sound through. A modeling amp is the only choice you have unless you already have all the pedals you need to get those psychedelic delays and modulations.

My only concern is that all the digitalness will ruin my guitar tone.

Just for the record, this amp models other amp tones and not guitar tones? So playing two different guitars into this parcticular amp will definately produce different sounds altogether.

Sorry, I'm getting myself confused :S
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yes, different guitars will sound different, if you know how to dial it in right. Dial in too much bass and gain, and any guitar will sound the same - on pretty much an amp.

don't be silly, "digitalness" won't ruin your tone...

Lol you know what I ment. I ment I just didn't want something that was gonna sound fake. Phrased it wrong :P
Jet City Jca2112rc Ftmfw
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Ima be a peavey fanboy (even though I'm not, they're just really cheap where i live and still sound good.) and say the vypyr man. Its a great practice amp.

Its no 5150, or anything, but i personally think it excels at lower gain stuff even though it does high gain very well (the best out of mg, spider, and vypyr by far).

The effects are all really good, you can set presets so its easy to switch between.

Also: Rolland Microcube isnt a bad idea either.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
The vypyr 15w actually has pretty sweet tones for the price. Some of the amp models are useless in my opinion but a lot of them are very good. It destroys MGs or Spiders and I like it more than the micro cube. Some of the effects are cool but its great that you can tweak effects pretty well. It also has delay and the reverb is nice.

I would get it man, you should be happy. Awesome practice amp. It sounds good in my opinion.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Cheers guys!

Looks like I'm getting a Peavey Vypyr 15

(Anything to avoid me playing my MG10)
My son has a Peavey Vyper 15. I have a Fender VibroChamp XD. We also share a Line 6 Spider III 15. For his tastes, I think the Peavey is pretty good. For my tastes in music (mostly blues and classic rock) the Fender is an awesome amp. It is a 5 watt/one channel version of the SuperChamp XD. You can find them for well under $200 in the US. A 5 watt amp is plenty loud enough for home use.

So if you like metal, the Peavey is probably a good choice. If you like rock/classic rock or blues, consider the Fender VibroChamp XD.
Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
Psalm 33:3
best thing for practice these days is amp modelling software. you can get great tones at quiet volume. of course it means you cant take your "amp" anywhere, but thats only a small downside imo.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_pod_studio_gx.htm
nice cheap interface that comes with pod farm, a nice piece of software for amp modeling.

and when you get your nice amp, you still have this for quiet practice and some simple recording.
blackstar ht-5 combo or ht-5 mini stack << the best practice amp today... for sure... it can play very good at very low volume or if u want it can be really lound too... and that valve sound is pure epic... u dont need any overdrive pedals or so if u want to practice at home (btw its 400euro here which is very good price for that amp)
A Fender Champion 600 with a better speaker cabinet (like a 1x12 greenback) would suit you down to the ground. I'd much prefer it over the Super Champ. It's an honest pure valve single ended class A 6L6 amp with no bullshit. Will suit your styles beautifully. You will need to find a 4 ohm speaker unless you change the output transformer or even better, a 2x12 with two 8 ohm greenbacks wired in parallel. You'll be in heaven.
The Vyper is ok but it aint no tweed champ and the 600 is pretty close, it's a reissue. They say it's a resissue of a 5E1 with a 12AX7 but really, that makes it a 5F1 and the 5F1 is choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification