I ws thinking about changing the speaker in my fender blues jr.
I know that the ohms has to be the same.

But my question does it matter what wattage the speaker is? what is the advantage of haveing a higher wattage speaker then a lower one. (Is it just volume?)

Also any other tips on speakers would be good.

-Thanks
The speaker nor the amp will blow if the speaker is 15w. As long as the ohms match up you should be good. There are not to many speakers rated at 15w anyway. Not sure what the Celestion Blue is rated at. Yes, you may have better luck if the speaker is rated higher so there is some truth to that. A lower wattage speaker just means you will get speaker distortion sooner than later. For blues a lower wattage speaker (15+) might be ideal. If you were shooting for more for a metal tone than a higher watt speaker might be ideal do to more speaker 'headroom'.

I've heard people have had good success with Weber speakers as well as Jenson in these amps so check those out too.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 19, 2010,
celestion blue is half the amp's price tag. i wouldn't get that expensive of a speaker for a blues jr. get a nice speaker from eminence. red fang, private jack or something?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Speaker sensitivity can make a pretty significant difference in volume, but the wattage is just the power handling. With a 15W amp you can't really go too low, but I'd go with at least 30 to be safe. I don't recommend spending too much money on speakers, they'll all sound slightly different, but not necessarily better or worse, its all preference. The main difference you'll notice from upgrading is clarity, tighter basser and usually smoother highs, depending on which speaker you get.
ceramic blue dogs from weber are $110 i think. if they ahven't raised tehir prices.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard