So this isn't really about my band, or a real gig my bands in, so I may have put it in the wrong place, but I figured it would be close enough.

Me and another guitarist kid decided it might be kindof fun to go downtown and play guitar on the streets like all the hobos you see, and see how much money we could get from it.

Basically, I was wondering what you UGers think about that, and have you ever done it before? If you have, how did it go when you did it, and would you do it again?
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

ummm i did it once with my friend....i got one of those £20 marshall pocket amps and went round town like that with my cheap epiphone hooked up to it lol. However i didn't get any money cos people probs thoguth i was jus pising about, which i was tbh lol. But it was quite fun. But i probs wudnt do it again cos i got some rather wierd looks.
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Custom '86 Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
Get old ratty shoes and make sure your hair looks unkept and dirty. Play up the part, I used to do shit like that all the time in my native Richmond. Deffinatly go acoustic, too, no ones gonna believe your homless if you carry around a mini amp.
I hear a day of busking in Cork city center gets you about €100, so it can definitely be worth it.
I'd love to busk, but I'm not sure what the laws are in my town.
Quote by koslack
Some areas require a permit for street performers. The cops tend to enforce that pretty strictly around here, so I'd look into what you cities policy is.

Really? didn't think of that, thanks for the heads up
~ The Mad Hatter

Don't worry too much about laws or anything no one will arrest you just if its not allowed someone will mention it.
SMILE!
It just sounds like a form of street performance to me, you guys may want to consider busking if you wished.

But the phrase "hobo guitarists" brings to mind one guy in my city. He's obviously a bum, pretty ratty, pushing all his belongings around the centre of the city in a shopping cart. Nothing special there, except for one thing. He has an American Standard Fender Stratocaster in it. No amp. But it's interesting that he still has it after all this time. It would give him some cash, but maybe it's representative of his life before he was a bum. I like to think sometimes that he once had an established band, but drugs and alcohol drove him to the streets and his strat is his only link back to happier times.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I was once on a coach trip to a major rock festival in Britain, (1984 Castle Donington 'Monsters of Rock') and when the coach stopped at a service station for a break, me an a friend started busking outside the cafe playing rock songs on ukeleles. The service station was full of rock fans all making their way to the festival, lots of them thought we were funny because of the instruments we were playing, so they threw some money in the pot.
Within an hour, we had made about £150 between us, which with inflation was probably worth about twice as much then as it is now.
Those dudes always smell terrible.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
I've done it. (busking....)

I would advise against trying to look homeless.

First of all, nobody wants to be homeless. Why in the world would you want to adopt an affectation to that effect? Besides, if your teeth are half-way decent, you won't pass the test anyways and you'll be perceived as the fraud that you are.

Secondly, if your goal is to make a few bucks. people are more likely to give a buck or two to someone they perceive to be a genuine musician than someone who is begging with a guitar. The whole aspect of begging brings a stigma with it that many people have a hard time getting past, and as a result, they will refuse to support you. "Bah, he'll only use it to buy crack or booze anyways... maybe he should just get a job like everyone else." That kind of thing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ That's why I made the distinction.

There are buskers who are musicians who play on the street.

There are those people who - by listening to them, clearly are NOT musicians - who are the toothless guys battering their out-of-tune guitar with four strings on it with some unintelligible tuneless muttering. They can often be found "performing" in front of beer stores. That's called begging with a guitar.

People are more apt to give buskers money than they are to give money to guys begging with guitars.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
I've done it. (busking....)

I would advise against trying to look homeless.

First of all, nobody wants to be homeless. Why in the world would you want to adopt an affectation to that effect? Besides, if your teeth are half-way decent, you won't pass the test anyways and you'll be perceived as the fraud that you are.

Secondly, if your goal is to make a few bucks. people are more likely to give a buck or two to someone they perceive to be a genuine musician than someone who is begging with a guitar. The whole aspect of begging brings a stigma with it that many people have a hard time getting past, and as a result, they will refuse to support you. "Bah, he'll only use it to buy crack or booze anyways... maybe he should just get a job like everyone else." That kind of thing.

CT

I'm not gonna try to look homeless, I just called it hobo guitar playing because I didn't know there was an actual word for it, my bad.

And as for playing for the money, its more like playing with my friend before we both head off to college in a few days, but if we do make a few bucks doing it, might as well:
~ The Mad Hatter

I live in Chicago and I think you might only need a permit to play in the subway...
Anyways, it looks quite fun and I've been wanting to try it myself. One time I saw a band of four or five members playing in a park along the path which seemed pretty chill to me.
I was more addressing this.....

Quote by ScaryWizard
Get old ratty shoes and make sure your hair looks unkept and dirty. Play up the part, I used to do shit like that all the time in my native Richmond. Deffinatly go acoustic, too, no ones gonna believe your homless if you carry around a mini amp.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
There are those people who - by listening to them, clearly are NOT musicians - who are the toothless guys battering their out-of-tune guitar with four strings on it with some unintelligible tuneless muttering. They can often be found "performing" in front of beer stores. That's called begging with a guitar.
CT

There's a legendary guy in liverpool who plays a cardboard guitar:

Quote by kyle62

good to see he's "making it happen" though
Quote by kyle62

wait, I cant tell, can you actually play it, or is it more like a picture of a guitar he's prettending too play?
~ The Mad Hatter

They had a homeless guy on Opie and Anthony named Mustard who did some acoustic covers in the studio. He used to be a roadie for a signed band, but after his family died he got into drinking and became homeless. Anyway heres a clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXlzci1rKNM
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10