Well, I'm just back from town, after buying my first amp with an adjustable EQ (please don't ask ). I have no idea how to EQ this thing. Can some one please help me, as I really don't want to rely on the presets it comes with, and want to get my own (semi-)sexy noises coming from it. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Also, it can use the headphone port to do recordings as well. Am I able to use a cable I have to put my ipod into an aux in port, to go from the headphone port on the amp, into the microphone port on my laptop, to make (admittedly crap) recordings?
Last edited by robhc at Aug 19, 2010,
Treble - 2 o'clock
Mids - 4 o'clock
Bass - 3 o'clock
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
what amp?

usually start with the eq knobs set straight up, (noon on a clock), and adjust to taste.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I presume you're on about bass treble etc.
I find this normally works:

Bass:7
Mids:5-6
treble:8

it all depends on what style you play
Gear
Epiphone Sg special <---meh

Peavey Vypyr 30 <---awesome

Hello
Heres what you do. Twist the knobs untill it doesnt sound too muddy. middy or trebly to your ears . Or in simpler terms twist the knobs until it sounds good to you...
Quote by gregs1020
what amp?

usually start with the eq knobs set straight up, (noon on a clock), and adjust to taste.

Peavey Vypyr.

Heres what you do. Twist the knobs untill it doesnt sound too muddy. middy or trebly to your ears . Or in simpler terms twist the knobs until it sounds good to you...

I figured something like that, but I have a really hard time telling what each knob does lol

I suppose I'll just get it eventually.
Well just experiment. Honestly asking what to put in is not the best way to go about it because what works with someone else and there equipment might not work for yours.
Quote by coolstoryangus

Yeah, although if you're looking to make it more bassy, turn the bass. If you're looking for it to sound more full, mids, if you're looking for more highs, turn the treble.

Some amps have contour. Contour takes away mids, which makes it easier to get a high gain tone. Sucking mids = metal =
I put lots of mids in my tones

Its very easy though- just experiment.
It depends on your equipment but I for one love big smooth tones.

For distortions what I do is (tube amps, but may work on SS amps)

*Start with all EQ knobs at 12 Oclock.
*Gain/Distortion all the way down (just enough so that there is sound as in some amp no gain means no sound).

*if the channel has multiple channels each with individual volume (not the gain knob), I raise this volume all the way up to begin, but lower the master volume so that I dont blow up my ears setting up the tone.

*I set the presence to a point where the sound feels neither too dark, nor too bright. Depends a lot on the pickups you use.

*I begin downpicked palm mutes slowly raising the gain. As soon as I start to hear fizz, or buzzyness I stop raising the gain. This is going to sound very lightly distorted but it makes the distortion actually sound huge, and hi fi especially in a band scenario.
(some people think lots of buzz and fizziness makes the tone heavy, but I find it actually thins it out, and you can tell when you throw an open power chord.)

*I keep palm muting and begin moving the mids to where the sound most full bodied.

* I raise the treble if it feels dark

*I raise the bass to give more body.

My EQ settings for my most used metal crunch tone are
treble 1.5 Oclock
Mids 2 Oclock
Bass 3 Oclock

Presence knob is at 3 O clock.

Its a quite different on different amps

Let me know if this helps you