Hi, I was just looking at a few random videos on Youtube when I saw this video of someone doing a demo of Peavey Vypyr 15 amp. He has a CD placed directly in front of the speaker. I've got a Peavey Vypyr 15 amp too.

This is the link to the video:

According to him, it "acts as a high frequency sound diffuser...takes the high end bite off the cone of the speaker much less harsh."
(He says this in the video comment).

What is a high frequency sound diffuser exactly, and what does it do? I searched, but I still don't understand what it is.
And is this true? Again, I tried seaching, but I can't find anything.

-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

Sounds like some mumbo-jumbo to me, but what do i know
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Visual Sound put hubcaps on their workhorse amps years ago. They have a pretty good track record in my eyes, so I'm sure it does do something. A cd won't have the same effect that whatever VS used did, but it's not like the 15 cents that a cd costs is cost inhibitive to try it out.
yeah, couldn't hurt to try it. Blank CDs are like what.....31 cents each now?

I'm not an expert in sound waves but I think the basics of it is that treble (higher frequencies) get blocked or bounced back to the center of the cone (where they originate) thus reducing the overly trebly (ice pick) attack you can get with an amp like this (any amp/speaker really).

I remember Kevin Saale put a 'X' of duct tape over his cone on his Mesa F30 combo to do something similar.

Maybe someone else can elaborate further.

PS: Boy am I glad this thread was not something else