Well just thought I'd post some pictures of this build. I've been looking at others building theirs and have been learning lots and now I think it's about time I start on mine.

It will be in the shape of a Kelly but won't be to the exact specs because I couldn't find a template or find one to trace. 24 frets, carved maple top, 2 Humbuckers and 1 vol 1 three way switch. I think I'm probably going to go with a recessed tun o matic bridge and string thru.

I know I'm going to have plenty of questions and well here's the first: for the tune o matic usually they are angle slightly closer to the treble side on les pauls and such but on guitars like the Kelly there isn't much angle. So my question is should I angle it like a les paul or not? Thanks in advance for any advice.

maple top glued and routed

And the VERY rough carve

next I will smooth out the carve with a chisel and lots of sanding.
I LOVE Kellys, one of, if not, my favorite bodies.
I don't like carved tops though so I'm really waiting to see how this comes out in the end. I think the angle on the bridge would be up to you. My understanding is that it's easier to adjust the inotation for the lower strings that way and it'll give you a brighter sound. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Thanks for the info man!

And I'm glad to hear from someone who also loves kellys. I'm making this cuz I can't afford one of those thousand dollar KE3's. Anyway I've finished smoothing out the carve and routed for pickups. almost ready to finish it(not sure on what kind of paint job though). Here's a mock up these are not the pickups or bridge I will be using.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Quote by mewzic-123
Thanks for the info man!

And I'm glad to hear from someone who also loves kellys. I'm making this cuz I can't afford one of those thousand dollar KE3's. Anyway I've finished smoothing out the carve and routed for pickups. almost ready to finish it(not sure on what kind of paint job though). Here's a mock up these are not the pickups or bridge I will be using.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thats a KE5 or KE2 not KE3
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
To answer your question on the bridge, yes definitely do. If you go onto the stewmac website they have a calculator to tell you how far to put each post for proper intonation
Wow, it looks really good. I love curved the "fin" is.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Thanks for the reply's guy's. Not a big update but I have recessed and installed the tune o matic bridge which I bought at Tomlee, and have ordered all the other hardware from Allparts. So far I've spent around $300 on this.

Here's sort of a To do list regarding the build:
Drill holes for ferrules
Drill for neck screws
sand with 220
Paint stuff(I'll go into more detail later)
Alright finally something to update on! The parts arrived about a week ago but I've been pretty busy with school and all so didn't update until now.

And if any one is curious to how I found the depth in which to make my recess for the bridge: I measured the height of the bridge including saddles, then measured how high the neck lies over the body and compared. The bridge was higher by about 4 mm. Then I added the height of bushings for the bridge and got about 5 mm difference. which is how deep I made my recess. so that the bridge lies at the same height as the neck(including frets) then I can make my action adjustments and such.

checking alignment

here's a project me and a friend of mine have been working on. It was originally a Behringer eltoro strat copy. just got it polished.

@Mobiusr Its not really based on a specific model I just took the basic shape so it can be whatever you want it to be. I wrote Ke3 for price reference.
Last edited by mewzic-123 at Oct 10, 2010,
alright I'm just about ready to spray on primer, just need to drill for the neck bushings recess. They require a half inch hole, but the problem is the only half inch size bit I have is a spade bit and it looks like the pointed part would enlarge my neck screw holes, so I'm guessing I need to go to the hardware store. I'm not sure which bit is most suited for this though. I'm guessing forstner? any answers would be most appreciated.