I recieved my MXL 990 microphone yesterday and recorded a few clips with it in varying positions. 1 inch from the speaker diaphram directly on axis sounded terrible as well as placing the mic closer to the edge of the diaphram, 1inch away. Placing the mic about 10" from the speaker on axis sounds much better, although with my speaker (Eminence Texas heat) it's pretty harsh sounding around 2.5khz.

What is the 'correct' placement for this type of mic on a speeaker cabinet?

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
You want a dynamic mic for recording off of a cab.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
you could try micing it about 4" that what I read but it will loose some low end.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by joey arce
You want a dynamic mic for recording off of a cab.

Not always, you can get amazing sounds out of condensers that you can't get with dynamics on the market.

Anyways, usually its a good idea to keep it a foot or two away. Close micing with a condenser usually leads to a shitty sound.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
^ thats what i usually do as well. foot or two back. sometimes more if i want to get a more "airy" sound. foot or two away is how i typically go though.

i mostly use a condensor on cleans, or maybe mild grit. i find a dynamic mic is often more what i want for any decent ammount gain. i think it keeps it a bit tighter sounding.