Hey guys,
I took a look at John Mayers I dont trust myself (with loving you), and I fell in love with the sort of wah out of phase sound. But for the hell of me I cant get the tone with My me-50 and standard fender strat. I was wondering if anyone knows which pedals he uses or any other pedals for the perfect tone?
Quote by WtrPlyr
What amp are you using?

And hate to brake it to you, you ain't gonna get a perfect Mayer tone.

Aha I use a roland amp. i honestly dont know the name. something like 20x?
And i figured that out a while back hehe, its just that I cant get anywhere near this tone. like gravity and such you can get similar tones, but i have no idea what he does.
u wont get it but this might help you
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
You're not gona get that perfect mayer tone without spending many a thousand...

A TS9/TS808 into a decent clean amp will be a good start, also look into a decent analogue delay. John Mayer uses a Way Huge Aqua Puss.
You're gona need alot more than that, but as a base it should be okay.
Quote by S-Tallica

A TS9/TS808 into a decent clean amp will be a good start, also look into a decent analogue delay. John Mayer uses a Way Huge Aqua Puss.

Thanks alot, That really helpful.
Quote by S-Tallica

Doesn't he use an auto-wah too?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Mayer uses LOADS of different pedals. He is a total gear *****. He has several different boosts and ODs on his board at one time for different flavours. He uses a comp too.

The Marshall Bluesbreaker Pedal V1 is the TRY! tone and nails the SRV tone too. Great pedal.

A Zendrive or clone there of would also help in getting a Mayer tone, for that Dumble sound.

But you need a different amp. If you're on a budget, the fender blues jnr could get you close (ok, not close close, but towards the gates of the ballpark...). He used one live for awhile back in the day (also, Fender HRD was his staple clean tone for ages), before he went all Dumble n TR. Scoop the mids slightly, crank the bass up and set treble for some sparkle. But you want Fender-y sparkling cleans and sweet sustaining Dumble OD.
Last edited by ze monsta at Aug 19, 2010,
I'm pretty sure the sound on the intro to "I don't Trust Myself" is some sort of filter or auto wah.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
^ Or 25x.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.