hi! this is going to be a LONG post, but i hope so bad that someone is going to have the patience to go through it,cause im desperate for help.

So..this is the case: I've been playing guitar for some time, and even though i wouldn't by any means call myself good, i would like to write my own songs SO freaking bad. It is seriously always on my mind. it sounds so lame, but music is what it's all about - i dont know how to explain it, but it is seriously my WORLD. yes, it does sound lame. i wont bother explaining it further, cause i will never be able to explain it without bugging you all to death.

And my problem(s); i only have a guitar. and a voice.
i've got no recording equipment, no drums and no idea where to start.
Im certain that im not alone in this situation when starting out, but i can't even layer, say like, a melody over some chords? the recording thing is not impossible to solve, i've got some money to buy something simple to start with, but i don't even know if it's going to be worth it? what if i suck at writing songs? that's a huge possibility.
However, if i buy an eight track recorder (kinda? i read about it a long time ago ) i don't even have drums or a drummer.

i think it's important to say that the music i want to make dont need a whole lot of different instruments.. i think.. i would only like to have myself and some drums. And that is just another big problem. cause how do you write music for only guitar + drums? i don't know. bu that might even be my biggest problem.
i just don't know where to start,
and this seems so serious. what if cant even write, as i said previously? oh well. no one is still reading this shit, so, lol

I didn't even get my point across. and that might be cause i don't really know what im wondering.. i just don't know where to start.
Get the shit you need and DO IT!

Listen to White Stripes, Le Chat Noir, Left Lane Cruiser and some other drum'n'guitar bands for ideas.

Have you tried finding people to play with?
Quote by Eddy~
Get the shit you need and DO IT!

Listen to White Stripes, Le Chat Noir, Left Lane Cruiser and some other drum'n'guitar bands for ideas.

Have you tried finding people to play with?

taken out of context, this could sound wrong...

however the post in general is right. there are some people who DO do just gutiar and vocals whereas some need/have bands.
i suppose you could just do what suits you and if you feel the need for 'more' then go get more.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
If you wanna write your own songs, you should know a bit of theory.
i would say just start writing, i usually do it after a good night out. We simply freestyle over like a 3 chord progression around a bonfire, sometimes they turn to songs, otherwise they turn to laughs. I would say just pull a nike with what you have
♣▲♣
▲ ▲
i personally use cubase and use the midi intruments to write anything that is not bass or guitar

i suggest buying a usb input with some similar software
Practice writing/playing songs?
No one writes a fantastic song off the bat, you have to go through a load of crap to get something good.

It takes time. The more you do it, the better you get.

And for the recording situation, try Cubase or something like that? you can program drums into your tracks then
I remember some of the first material I wrote was total crap! Seriously!

Hell, even some of the stuff I'm doing now is hit or miss. I think if you want to write good songs, you just have to try and get your ideas out there, and even if they don't come out how you wanted, try to remember the parts and keep working with it. An unfortunate conseqence of songwriting is that sometimes you will write good stuff and sometimes bad stuff, but you can't try to force it. Playing with other musicians sometimes does help as well. Whereas you might write a song yourself that is awesome, other musicians can really add something sometimes you would never have thought of. Good luck.

Also - these days you can put together a fairly cheap recording setup using open-source software and linux. People will try to dog on it, but if you have the patience to get everything set up correctly, it does just fine, and doesn't cost thousands of dollars. My whole setup (with decent monitors and interface + a cheaper frankenstein computer I had) only cost a few hundred.
Last edited by Mirakus at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by Jubri
So..this is the case
Ok, so you've got the drive. Great. Now you need some skills. That's the hard part.

Quote by Mezo
you should know a bit of theory.
Exactly.

You can learn some on this site. There are some excellent tutorials. This one I can recommend in particular. But personally I learn faster and better with a teacher. See if there aren't some cheap state-sponsored courses in your neighborhood.

Quote by Jubri
the recording thing is not impossible to solve, i've got some money to buy something simple to start with, but i don't even know if it's going to be worth it? what if i suck at writing songs? that's a huge possibility.
So what? Even if you suck you may well enjoy it anyway. And the cost to fail is not that big. You can have some recording hardware very cheaply if you have a decent computer.

Check the UG forum. (There is a search bar on top). There are many discussions on cheap cards. This is the first one I came across. Check the details if it suits your needs. Note that you could get its predecessor on eBay for half the price.

You need software. This one is free for one month, but the test licence actually never runs out. And if it turns out you suck, well, you're really under no moral obligation to pay for it after a month. If you start making big bucks however, they ask for a relatively small fee, about the same price as a student licences of other software. And according to some experts this soft is better, easier and faster than Cubase, Protools, Cakewalk, ...

There are tons of forums on recording techniques. This one I like a lot, but there are others.

If you've really got the drive, you'll keep searching and learning and testing until you get there. And when you've got more specific questions, you're always welcome here on UG.

All the best.
Last edited by Withakay at Aug 20, 2010,
You don't need drums to write. Check out EZdrummer, they have lots of realistic sounding drum beats. I love that program. And it sounds like you need to learn to write melodies over chords. Try soloing slowly over G C D C just play in the major key of G. And maybe try singing your slow melody once you play it on guitar and like it. You may find your voice can't sing those notes, then try writing a melody lower in pitch or higher. Find your vocal range on your instrument and only play those notes.
Quote by Jubri
hi! this is going to be a LONG post, but i hope so bad that someone is going to have the patience to go through it,cause im desperate for help.

So..this is the case: I've been playing guitar for some time, and even though i wouldn't by any means call myself good, i would like to write my own songs SO freaking bad. It is seriously always on my mind. it sounds so lame, but music is what it's all about - i dont know how to explain it, but it is seriously my WORLD. yes, it does sound lame. i wont bother explaining it further, cause i will never be able to explain it without bugging you all to death.

And my problem(s); i only have a guitar. and a voice.
i've got no recording equipment, no drums and no idea where to start.
Im certain that im not alone in this situation when starting out, but i can't even layer, say like, a melody over some chords? the recording thing is not impossible to solve, i've got some money to buy something simple to start with, but i don't even know if it's going to be worth it? what if i suck at writing songs? that's a huge possibility.
However, if i buy an eight track recorder (kinda? i read about it a long time ago ) i don't even have drums or a drummer.

i think it's important to say that the music i want to make dont need a whole lot of different instruments.. i think.. i would only like to have myself and some drums. And that is just another big problem. cause how do you write music for only guitar + drums? i don't know. bu that might even be my biggest problem.
i just don't know where to start,
and this seems so serious. what if cant even write, as i said previously? oh well. no one is still reading this shit, so, lol

I didn't even get my point across. and that might be cause i don't really know what im wondering.. i just don't know where to start.

How's it going Jubri?

To start out with, I am a singer-songwriter and I do play originals at gigs with just me and my guitar and drums. I play acoustic, and my drummer plays a cajon, which is a percussion instrument. I started wanting to learn to play and sing, so I did a number of things. One I started to learn how to play covers, and tried to internalize a groove that I could play and sing to. Then I started to video tape myself and submit it for people to critique on YouTube, after I'd gotten to where I could stand my own voice and playing.

To have the best starting point to create music, you need to understand how music goes together - that in a nutshell is music theory. The more you know, the more options you have available to you.

All of my songs arrived by inspiration. I wrote 40 songs in 40 days by simply listening to what was going on inside. Because I had a melody or a lyric I was able to find where it wanted to go, and like a river running where it naturally goes, I followed it and supported it with chords, and literally followed where it felt right.

Now, the element that I find is very important is establishing a groove internally to your music, to where you feel it. Once you have that rhytmically down, then you bring someone else into the mix and let them interpret it on whatever drums or whatever. I find that for me the beats tend to be simple and somewhat syncopated, but thats how it flows inside. There are times where I need something different and I have to articulate that for my cajon player, and it may take a while, but eventually they get it.

Your mileage may vary. Writing is a personal thing, but the important thing to me is to keep writing. I have a chorus locked in my head for a new song, and its a great chorus, but I have nothing for the verse yet...it's been like that a week. Sometimes I have to wait on it and keep internalizing it until suddenly "it" happens. If I try to write, without letting it happen it sucks and comes out contrived. But when Ive written something that moves me, its easy for me to play and it almost always reaches others, because its music at its most honest point.

As for recording, there are many great answers given on this point already.

Best,

Sean
Write some songs, and decide whether YOU like them or not because it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks about your music, As long as you like it then its all good

Also, Jimi Hendrix, Dave Grohl and Kurt Cobain... Just a couple of musicians who knew/ know nothing about musical theory, Dave Grohl said in a recent interview that he doesnt have a clue about time signatures and stuff and he was in one of the biggest bands of the 1990's! And he went on to form the Foo Fighters and Them Crooked Vultures (it doesnt get better than working with John Paul Jones. So dont listen to people who say you MUST know about musical theory to be a good songwriter/ musician because its a load of rubbish. It helps a hell of a lot if you do know musical theory but its not a "Must Have"
Quote by Andym92
Write some songs, and decide whether YOU like them or not because it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks about your music, As long as you like it then its all good

Also, Jimi Hendrix, Dave Grohl and Kurt Cobain... Just a couple of musicians who knew/ know nothing about musical theory, Dave Grohl said in a recent interview that he doesnt have a clue about time signatures and stuff and he was in one of the biggest bands of the 1990's! And he went on to form the Foo Fighters and Them Crooked Vultures (it doesnt get better than working with John Paul Jones. So dont listen to people who say you MUST know about musical theory to be a good songwriter/ musician because its a load of rubbish. It helps a hell of a lot if you do know musical theory but its not a "Must Have"

its not essential but if you see the works of those who write without knowing theory you will notice that the piece had a theoretical explanation. theory is really a shortcut
oh! this is some good answers! i really appriciate it :O
thank you all! i will look through the threads and bands recommended. And i will look up the recording-related stuff you guys mentioned. thank you very much!

i think i'll just start writing, as you said. Even if it's crap... maybe i'll learn something and eventually stumble upon what i was searching for (or something) not that i think it will be easy to even write crap, though, but i guess that if i would just start writing it wouldn't feel like it does now, when i haven't wrote a thing.

As for the theory-bit: the fact that the theory i've learned so far has left me atleast somewhat inspired to write, leaves me thinking that it's indeed good - at least for me.

I'm so glad that people are willing to help thanks again!