Actually, I have two different questions, but first some background info:

Right now, I'm just trying to find the cheapest possible way to record when I go away to university in a few days. Until now, I've just used my friend's dads home studio (not an option anymore since he's heading away as well), or recorded direct into my PC which has an okay sound card (internal, but not integrated) with a line in port. This one was used mostly for getting down ideas, or youtube covers. I have a tonne of VSTs and it's worked well enough.

Question One:
When I'm recording direct, I've gotten great sounds and results when I'm using my strat. I have a cable that plugs directly from guitar into sound card. I figure this is due to the passives in it. When I use my LTD with EMG 60/81, it gets really boomy only when i palm mute. Even if i turn down the master volume, and drop the bass, it remains pretty boomy and is causing speaker distortion on both my computer speakers and my headphones (studio ones). I VSTs I generally use are: Poulin head, Poulin Cab with Marshall or Orange cabs being emulated (external thing i found that doesnt come with the original download), Cab Impulses (Guitar Hacks Impulses), compression, noise gate, and then whatever effects the song requires. All are VSTs. With the strat on the same settings it sounds amazing, but with the LTD, no matter what I do, its just bad sounding. Any way to fix this? (clip will be on the way and recorded as soon as i can)

Question Two:
From here on, I'll be stuck using a laptop that I have for recording. It has no line in spot, but one for a mic. I can't really afford to buy a DI box or interface. With my regular setup listed above, it sounds terrible. Incredibly shrill, and nothing helps. I cant even get something that sounds like a guitar to be recorded. It sounds almost like you took two distortion pedals to an amp, cranked the highs and gain on both and started playing. Super high pitched sound with way too much distortion, even when i'm playing clean. Whats wrong here? How can i fix this?

I also have a Rock Band mic that i used to use for recording with some okay results. I can switch back to that if you guys think it'll help the sound for the laptop way.

Sorry about the wall of text. Hopefully you guys can help!
Quote by User_Name336
Question One:
When I'm recording direct, I've gotten great sounds and results when I'm using my strat. I have a cable that plugs directly from guitar into sound card. I figure this is due to the passives in it. When I use my LTD with EMG 60/81, it gets really boomy only when i palm mute. Even if i turn down the master volume, and drop the bass, it remains pretty boomy and is causing speaker distortion on both my computer speakers and my headphones (studio ones). I VSTs I generally use are: Poulin head, Poulin Cab with Marshall or Orange cabs being emulated (external thing i found that doesnt come with the original download), Cab Impulses (Guitar Hacks Impulses), compression, noise gate, and then whatever effects the song requires. All are VSTs. With the strat on the same settings it sounds amazing, but with the LTD, no matter what I do, its just bad sounding. Any way to fix this? (clip will be on the way and recorded as soon as i can)

If its causing the end product to distort, then the signal is too hot. In your DAW, turn the guitar line down. Those pickups are wicked good, but fucking loud.

Quote by User_Name336
.. recorded direct into my PC which has an okay sound card (internal, but not integrated)

Question Two:..

The internal sound card is how you are getting away with it. Integrated sound cards are shit no matter how what brand of laptop/PC you have. Since its a laptop and putting a new soundcard into it is out of the question, a DI is needed. There are fantastic ones for $150 that come with amp modelers, or less expensive ones that simply come with the unit.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
here's about the best i could do with the LTD. the sound is still boomy, yet in my opinion, a little thin. i dont really know what else to do. i spent a good hour and a half, and even used a 32 band eq that i didnt mention in the description. the line volume is pretty minimal (less than 1/3 of what i use with my strat and i turn that one down as well.) if i recall, i have this one set at -35 - -45 (i cant remember exactly how low i put it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ABv_2e7JA