Looking to buy a economy electric guitar as I can not justify a thousand dollar guitar just yet. I am still learning how to play.
I want something of quality and have narrowed it to the Epiphone G400SG or the Fender Strat Made in Mexico or even a mid priced schecter or Ibanez... For a start.
Any opinions on either? Which one is better? Easier to play/learn on?
I enjoy the looks of the Gibson SG but just can't afford it.
Have 250 -300 to spend. A used guitar is fine.
Any help is appreciated.

Craig
Apples and oranges. One has three single coils, master volume and two tone controls, alder body, 25.5" scale, bolt-neck construction, and many other things. Other is a double-humbucker, individual volume/tone, mahogany, 24.75" scale, set-neck, and many other things. More info please?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
depends on what music you play and the sound you are looking for. either is a decent guitar for the money. but really it just depends on your needs. lean more towards say hendrix well then strat more towards angus young then sg.
IMO a used HSS Mexi Strat will be better than the Epi.

But you need to try them out and see for yourself, you may like the feel of the Epi more.
I have many problems with my Epiphone G-400. Mine is a 2007 model and the neck is incredibly thick. That made it difficult for me too grasp the neck and forced me to stretch more than necessary. The tuning knobs are weak and the guitar itself is neck-heavy; meaning extra energy has to be put go simply hold the guitar when that energy could be used for playing better.

I don't know if new ones are improved. This is just me giving my personal experience.

I feel the G-400s best quality is the paint-job, and for me playability comes first.
Quote by warlockfan
I have many problems with my Epiphone G-400. Mine is a 2007 model and the neck is incredibly thick. That made it difficult for me too grasp the neck and forced me to stretch more than necessary. The tuning knobs are weak and the guitar itself is neck-heavy; meaning extra energy has to be put go simply hold the guitar when that energy could be used for playing better.

I don't know if new ones are improved. This is just me giving my personal experience.

I feel the G-400s best quality is the paint-job, and for me playability comes first.

A lot of people feel SGs are prone to neck diving. A lot of people also like SGs though so take that for what you will

Lot of preference here, tryout anything and everything you can. Used Mexi strat would be nice for that money. Possibly a Squier Classic Vibe series.
Quote by Wondergaurd
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different
Quote by warlockfan

I see your point. I am not going to buy a guitar depending on how people will look at me holding and playing the guitar. I basically want a guitar that will be reliable, no buzzy pick ups,no crackling pots and something that feels comfortable in my hands while playing and practicing. A nick or a scratch that wont effect the sound or playing is not a major concern. I just want something to play that lets me concentrate on learning and not maintenence, but has the sound quality that is good, so it encourages me to practice more to make it sound even better.
Quote by siverstorm
IMO a used HSS Mexi Strat will be better than the Epi.

But you need to try them out and see for yourself, you may like the feel of the Epi more.

Thanks for your reply!
Conflict of interest?
You have suggested a strat but you have a beautiful looking g400.
How is your G400? Problems with crackling pots or buzzy pick ups?
Any other problems that you could share?
My main focus would be learning to play on an electric.I have 2 acoustics and want to broaden my horizens with an electric and want it to be reliable most of all, if it can be a bit flashy at the same time that is a bonus but not the major concern as my main focus would be enjoying the sounds I am getting while practicing.
Quote by necrosis1193
Apples and oranges. One has three single coils, master volume and two tone controls, alder body, 25.5" scale, bolt-neck construction, and many other things. Other is a double-humbucker, individual volume/tone, mahogany, 24.75" scale, set-neck, and many other things. More info please?

+1. Totally agree.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by CRAIGARRR
I see your point. I am not going to buy a guitar depending on how people will look at me holding and playing the guitar.I basically want a guitar that will be reliable, no buzzy pick ups,no crackling pots and something that feels comfortable in my hands while playing and practicing.

First, those weren't problems related to appearance that warlockfan was talking about. The SG has a huge neck which may be uncomfortable for most people. And it suffers from the problem known as neck dive. The guitar requires you to use some strength from your fretting hand to hold up the guitar which is a general pain in the ass because you won't be able to play at your best unless you're sitting.

My SG is an '08 model. Aside from the neck dive and thick as sin neck. The stock pickups on epiphones are crap. No question. They have no clarity I hated them. Also the soldering right out of the box was horrible. Within a year my neck pickup would stop working. I needed to get not just one wire, but 3 re-soldered for it to work again.

I recommend the MIM strat because, quality-wise it'll just be a better guitar than the Chinese Epi. (I found strat necks to be more comfortable than the Epi)

As a final note, you said you want to enjoy the sounds you'll hear as you play? 90% of the guitar tone is in the amp you use. Meaning if you're using some shitty practise amp from some guitar package, you're not going to sound much different whether you use a Gibson SG or a Squier bullet.
Last edited by siverstorm at Aug 20, 2010,
If your starting out playing,I would suggest a Squier HSS Strat. They have a nice neck that is easy for a begginer to play,and it does'nt cost a bunch of cash.

The Hummbucker is good enough to play metal and the single ciols give you a variety of tones for playing anything from Blues to Rock. Plus they will take alot of abuse .
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Quote by coolstoryangus
Hmmm i'm not sure OP
however will you answer me this, what is better an apple or an orange?

I am not trying to be a wise a** but If I have never tasted either.. Not sure which one would be better.. That is why I am asking your opinion.. If lotsa people like Apples better, then by an educated choice I might spend 350 on an apple. Sure I might go to the fruit stand and try some apples and oranges to see what I like better. But paying the cash to bring it home is a different story. So hopefully with all your opinions I will certainly have a better view on reliability.
Thanks!
Thanks for your reply siverstorm, this is the informative response I am looking for. Being new to shopping for an electric guitar I could be very much taken advantage of, specially buying it on Ebay or Craig's list. I wan't to go into this with as much knowledge as I can so I don't get ripped off. I have read reviews about problems with the Epi like you are saying, and hearing your opinions on the reliability of an Epi is very educational!
TS, what kind of music are you planing on playing with the guitar?

you may need something like an HSS setup anyway for versatility

STARMEDIT: No problems, just you may want to ask around for issues regarding the MIM strats. If there are any, I've never heard of any, aside from people complaining about the pickups. But I can bet that they wouldn't be as bad as epi stock pups.
Last edited by siverstorm at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by siverstorm
TS, what kind of music are you planing on playing with the guitar?

you may need something like an HSS setup anyway for versatility

STARMEDIT: No problems, just you may want to ask around for issues regarding the MIM strats. If there are any, I've never heard of any, aside from people complaining about the pickups. But I can bet that they wouldn't be as bad as epi stock pups.

I enjoy modern(The Calling, The Fray) to classic rock, blues.. From Eagles to Clapton To Led Zepplin to Southern Rock.. AC/DC to The Allman Bros..
That genre of music. No Heavy Metal.. Altho I remember when Jethro Tull won a grammy for Best Heavy Metal Band in the late 80s

I see an ad like this on Craigslist and it really peaks my attention.. I saw this ad like 5 months ago.. and now it is back. At this price for a real Gibson SG, that is in great shape, makes me wonder if I could be able to tell what is wrong with it.. ( hope I dont get kicked for posting this url)
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/1909640769.html
They say if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is...

Craig
You can't really compare the two.

However, if it were my choice, I'd probably save up a bit more and get a Gibson SG Special Faded (which is made in the US as opposed to the other two).
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.