I'm looking to get a new amp to go with my new Epiphone Explorer. Preferably 50 watt or thereabouts, combo amp. My budget is £200/250ish (not sure what that is in dollars). Unfortunately, I simply do not have the cash to afford a really good tube amp which is obviously the number one option, (at least in my book), apart from maybe a used Marshall dsl combo or something like that. But I've discovered things such as the Vox Vt series and the Marshall AVT series, which are valvestate. So how does valvestate compare to true valve?

Are they so far apart that I should just bankrupt myself anyway and put another £100 into my budget? Or are they decently close so I should just wait and buy a really good tube amp in a couple of years and valvestate will get me by?

Let's do this... If some crappy solid state amp tone is 0 and a Marshall stack tone is 10, where would Valvestate be?
I'd say 5-6. The Vox VT is a decent sounding amp IMO.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
5 sounds about right. They don't sound that great stock. I've heard, though, that if you change the speaker they sound pretty good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Don't bother with the marshall avts..
Maybe look into some used peavey stuff aswell. You might get a classic 20 or 30 for the price if your lucky. Some of there old school tube amps go for really cheap too
I play from classic rock to metal, and when I clean it up I like to do bit of acoustic-type stuff too. I do play in a band but Im not sure how much longer that will be going to be honest...

Oh right, okay hybrids then. But modeling amps like the VT series are good? But Im pretty sure the VT IS a hybrid. It's definitely got a big-ass glowing tube in it and for 220 quid it's not all tube... Or is that different alltogether? Sorry. I'm new to this.
Get a used tube combo
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Tube for the win. Save up for the real deal or go for the cheapest amp for the tone and then save up for a real tube. They are fantastic, i've just upgrade from a Vox VT30 to an Orange Dual Terror - best decision i've ever made!

Guitar:
Gibson Les Paul Studio (Goldy)
Fender American Stratocaster (Blacky)

Amplifier:
Orange Dual Terror Head W/ Orange 1 x 12 Cab
Vox Valvetronix VT30

Pedals/Extras:
BOSS ME-70
BOSS Micro BR

Youtube: DaveTheOriginal
Take a look on your local gumtree for a used tube combo or ebay seriously. You could probably get a valve king 112 well under budget etc.
what type of tones are you after, and is "bankrupt" hyperbole or the actual truth?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I getting the vibe that I should go tube. And bankrupcy is hyperbole, I'm 16, I have parents to scrounge off (Y) :L

Okay, so. Tube combos... Name a few in my budget.
Quote by adstr123
I getting the vibe that I should go tube. And bankrupcy is hyperbole, I'm 16, I have parents to scrounge off (Y) :L

Okay, so. Tube combos... Name a few in my budget.
The VOX AC4TV is a pretty sweet tube amp. The Epiphone Valve Junior is also within your price range, and cheaper than the AC4TV as well. Sorry, you won't get a high wattage and cheap tube amp.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Blowing through a tissue wrapped around a comb sounds better than a Valvestate.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^

can you save a little more? something like a jet city 20 watt combo (haven't tried it but hear good things) might work.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So hang on - What's the difference between a hybrid and the Vox VT series?