Hey UG! I'm really excited to tell you guys about my setup I acquired this summer.

Where to start.. Well.. I guess background information is good first.

I have been playing guitar for a mere 2 years as of the start of August, so this is my third year. My first year I was playing in a band with my friends who just got their guitars my freshmen year of highschool in Singapore (the city/country). Last year I moved back to the States and made friends who I'm currently in a band with. During this time I upgraded from a shitty fender knockoff to a nice Ibanez RG4EXFM1.

The spring of my 2nd year of playing is when I really started to look at this forum in search of an amp that would suit me and my style of music. After saving allowance all year, I had gathered enough money to buy a used 5150II w/ a cab that I was lead to believe have v30's in it.

However, when I opened it up, this was not the case.. Turns out they were shitty line 6 speakers (made by celestion). This didn't bother me too much because I got my 5150II and cab all for only $800.

So, I decided to wait to do a NAD until I had a cabinet with speakers that really allowed my 5150II to speak its extremely brutal, metal thoughts.

It just turned out that Avatar was having a sale on their G212 Contemporary Cabinets loaded with v30's, closed back and 8 ohm mono in all black. This was EXACTLY what i was looking for! (And yes, I did search the used market first.) So, for the remainder of the summer I declined all my friends offers to go to movies and spend money because I had my eyes set on a goal.

Once I finally had the money the special was no longer on the site. This made me extremely disappointed, until I called Dave (the owner) about it. They said they had a few left in all black so I was all

Anyway, I ordered that shit, and here it is, 5150II and all!

Rear View

Rig View

Okay, review time

5150II: This is my first tube amp. All I can say is wow, it has balls. I really like that this is a midsy amp because I'm not one to scoop my mids mainly because I like having a djenty tone (you could say I'm a djentleman?). I only use a little over half the gain on this amp because it's all I need. I love having the presence knob, it really helps in live situations if I need the extra boost (which is kinda rare with such a midsy amp as this).

As for the cleans: I'm no vintage pristine clean seeker, so my opinion isn't the most credible one on this matter. I don't totally dig the clean tone, but its definitely livable at the least. You just have to spend a little bit of time EQ'ing your clean channel. I might use this amp for jazz band (if i make it in) at my school.

I totally recommend this amp to anyone who plays metal/hardcore/progressive like I do. To say this is a one trick pony just means you haven't spent enough time with it (or you have a better tube amp for cleans )

Avatar 2x12" Contemporary loaded with v30's: This cabinet is just as good as any other closed 2x12" with v30's. I haven't A/B'd it to a mesa yet, but I have played on mesa's and this cab definitely gets my approval. This weekend I'm going to tighten up the speakers and seal the corners of the cab with silicone to get a thicker tone out of it (not to say it isn't thick already).

I really recommend this company to anyone looking for a cabinet. Dave is a nice guy who will help you out if you have any questions (and will sometimes cut you a nice deal )

All in all, I love my setup dearly. I can't thank the active members of this forum enough for helping me out and helping out others looking for their tone.

I'm happy with my setup, I'm only a junior in highschool and I'm fortunate to have such a nice rig that I worked for... but am I satisfied? No. There will be MOAR NGD's from me in the future
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Last edited by DakoRob at Aug 19, 2010,
noice.

also, how about that blago?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
great amp!

Really want one of these myself

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by gregs1020
noice.

also, how about that blago?

Omg, don't get me started man.. don't get me started...

Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Quote by DakoRob
Omg, don't get me started man.. don't get me started...

amen that.
HNAD!
Put Blago in front of it and MELT HIS FACE OFF WITH ITS BR00T4LZ!
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
HNAD!
Put Blago in front of it and MELT HIS FACE OFF WITH ITS BR00T4LZ!

Good idea. However, I'm not sure if he is worthy of such a treatment..

The only circumstances in which I would allow such scum to be subject to my sound is if he was experiencing a painful physical torture from all the people who would have benefit from the tax dollars he so frivolously wasted on custom tailor made suits, flights from Springfield to Chicago, and his ridiculous haircut.

I'm a liberal, but a progressive one (not really a democrat). I usually don't wish people such harm on people, however blago truly deserves everything he's got coming to him.

As for the HNAD, thanks!
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Quote by DakoRob
Good idea. However, I'm not sure if he is worthy of such a treatment..

The only circumstances in which I would allow such scum to be subject to my sound is if he was experiencing a painful physical torture from all the people who would have benefit from the tax dollars he so frivolously wasted on custom tailor made suits, flights from Springfield to Chicago, and his ridiculous haircut.

I'm a liberal, but a progressive one (not really a democrat). I usually don't wish people such harm on people, however blago truly deserves everything he's got coming to him.

As for the HNAD, thanks!

No, I mean literally melt his face. Think raiders of the lost ark.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Wow. That's a sexy avatar. The 5150 is nice too
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
No, I mean literally melt his face. Think raiders of the lost ark.

i assumed thats what you meant.

previously state conditions still apply

edit:

Quote by CL/\SH
Wow. That's a sexy avatar. The 5150 is nice too

Thanks
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Last edited by DakoRob at Aug 19, 2010,
dude that ibanez...

any chance of some clips?

maybe do some cleans and clear up that whole myth/legacy/bandwagon bullshit?

c'mon!
Quote by gregs1020
dude that ibanez...

any chance of some clips?

maybe do some cleans and clear up that whole myth/legacy/bandwagon bullshit?

c'mon!

A Shure SM57 is next on my list after the Tremel-no. My rhythm guitarist has an interface I can use. There will be clips one day, though they will probably be on my profile or in the recording section.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Congrats on your amp man

I mainly wanted to say that I really really admire you for doing whatever it takes to save up the money necessary to get what you really want. That was refreshing. I wish more people would do that. And also, to hold posting your NGD until everything was in place, which is another thing I don't see a lot of.

nice cab!!

HNAD!
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.