Page 1 of 3
First of all: Hello GB&C! My name is Kylianvb, I'm a student from the Netherlands and although I don't post in here very often, I've been lurking for quite a while. I'm interested in guitarbuilding, and have been for a while, so when the question came up at school "What project do you want to do for your final year?", the answer was building me a guitar (I mainly just needed an excuse to get started, but that's besides the point). This, to me, is a great thing, because there's no option for me to back out, as that'll result in me not passing and having to redo an entire year of school... Which I don't feel like.

I'm not going to build just any ol' guitar. I'm going to try to build a replica of the 1967 Hendrix Psychedelic V (For those of you who are not familiar with it, here ya go). My main reason is that I'm a big Jimi Hendrix fan (but really, who isn't?), that the shapes are not too complicated for my mediocre woodworking skills, and that the paint job is just kickass.

Also, the neck is going to be bought, as I'm quite sure I would mess it up if I were to try to make one myself, which is something I can't really afford right now. I'll probably buy this neck. (Dutch site, but it should be understandable.)

Specs:
Body shape: Gibson Flying V
Headstock shape: Gibson Flying V
Scale: 24.75",
Number of frets: 22
Body wood: (Khaya) Mahogany
Neck wood: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Nut: Bone
Neck Pickups: Gibson Burstbucker #1 Classic '57
Bridge Pickup: Gibson Burstbucker #2 Classic '57 Plus
Electronics: Volume neck, volume bridge, tone for both.
Hardware: Nickel
Bridge: Gotoh Nashville Tune-O-Matic
Tremelo: Gibson Style Vibrola
Finish: Jimi Hendrix Psychedelic Design

While I've spent a while finding the right parts, I'm still not completely sure about some of them. This meaning that my knowledge of hardware is not optimal, and I'd like to hear about any major mistakes I've made. So if you guys could check out the links above (only 'linked' the ones I'm really unsure about, but feel free to criticize the other ones as well), and see if they're compatible with each other, and with the whole design, that'd be great.

As I'm still in the "I need your guys' opinion on the hardware!"-phase, I don't have too much to show you yet...

BUT today I went on an epic journey to the lumberyard, to get me a piece of Mahogany! (All hail the obligatory picture-with-feet photo!)

This piece however is not wide enough for the flying v shape, which means I'll have to saw the piece in half, then glue the 2 pieces together to make a more 'square' sized piece, wide enough for my body. What kind of glue would you guys recommend for this? The guy at the lumberyard told me any wood glue would do, but I'd like a second opinion from you all!

The only other part of the guitar I have right now is ironically the last thing you put on the guitar: The truss-rod cover (And the guitar plans, but I can't go and make pictures of that, hehe). I had this engraved at Terrapin Guitars to say 'Voodoo Child', the name of the project, and I have to say I'm happy with the result.

If you've read it all, thanks for.. well, reading it all! The next update will come after wednesday next week, as that's when the clamps for the gluing will arrive. Comments are very welcome!
Tell me who's that writin'...
Last edited by Kylianvb at Aug 21, 2010,
Thanks to both, and yeah, I'm buying a plain white pickguard.

Also.. FLIPPY-FLOPPY-BROTHER!
Quote by Kylianvb
Thanks to both, and yeah, I'm buying a plain white pickguard.

Also.. FLIPPY-FLOPPY-BROTHER!

Ok cool. Wouldn't wanna forget the pickgaurd. If your buying a neck I would be worried about getting the neck joint right.

Are you making this a lefty and then turning out Hendrix style or are you making it all righty? (assuming your right handed)

EDIT: I third titebond original
Last edited by salgala2000 at Aug 19, 2010,
I'm just gonna go with righty for sake of simplicity. Also, I'm going to start on the neckjoint after I get the neck, wouldn't want to mess that up...

Also, Titebond it is! The Burstbuckers are looking pretty good on youtube, but I'll be sure to check out the ones you mentioned Jordan!
Last edited by Kylianvb at Aug 19, 2010,
UPDATE. Sorta.

First of all: After Jordan's comment about the pickups, I've been looking around.. once again. And I found out that the pickups used in the Gibson limited edition psychedelic V's are Gibson Classic 57's, to supposedly give that vintage sound, which are the same pickups I wanted to use in the first place. (But they went out of stock, which lead me to the burstbuckers). I've decided to get those 57's from another store.

Also, I did a bit of woodworking today for the template, which is finished now, so I thought I'd share some pics.

The drawing... (Did it using carbon paper)

Sawing...

Sanding...

And result!

Still hoping to start working on the actual body this wednesday! (Well, the gluing anyways)
Last edited by Kylianvb at Aug 31, 2010,
looks great bro, keep up the good work. this build looks very promising
Gear:

Yamaha RBX 550

Hartke Model 5000

Quote by the humanity
unless you are 21st level, you are not having epic problems.
Nice man, I'll have to keep track of this one.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
I'd suggest Duncan '59s or something similar to that for pickups. Any PAF copy will do, really.

I like where this is going!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It's been a while since the last update.. As some of you may remember, the next step was gluing.. That's why it took a while. I do not have access to a well-ventilated room at the moment, so I needed to do my gluing outside... And the last couple of days were rainy as hell here in Amsterdam, but I've been dieing to finally do this. Well, today I (finally) got to do it .

So here we go...

The 2 pieces of wood...

Glue+Clamps

A pwetty artsy picture of the glue+clamps

Pwetty picture of the glue on the wood...

... And what it's like now. (Yeah, one side doesn't look that good, but it's just that end.)

So right now there's just more waiting ahead. Also, I'm still not entirely sure about the bridge I posted. It's a "Nashville" bridge, is that a size usually used on V's, or is it even close? I'm completely oblivious as to what bridge size/type I should get. I could use some help on that!
Last edited by Kylianvb at Aug 31, 2010,
Looks good! That template was really good too. I have always been a fan of Jackson's RR V's, but I bet this one will turn out great.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
some sort of GIANT UPDATE

Sorry it took so long, people. Been waiting on the right tools to finally do some real woodworking. The glueing worked perfectly, loved the outcome. So I finally got the body done today!

Started off planing, as the wood was too thick. I took off about 4 mm (Metric system, hell yeah) which apparently is close to about 11/64th of an inch. (We used the bits of wood on the side for reference, the body's 41 mm/1.61 inch now.)

After that, a bit of sanding to get a smooth surface.

I need YOU to consider safety, looking like a jackass doing it.

After that, it was time to saw a rough version of the shape...

...After which it was the plan to use the template with a router w/ follower bit, to get the shape perfectly. Apparently the router didn't think so, and we experienced a minor setback... The bit flew through the garden, and took a bit of wood out ...

We (my dad and I) reckoned it'd be a better idea to just saw/shave/sand it by hand then... A bit of extra work, and it renders the template we made useless, but so be it. It worked perfectly, but I doubt we'll be able to use this saw again.

As I said, it worked. Here's my dad, holding the body. (Yeah, I know. Me + bigger mustache + black hair = my dad )
Last edited by Kylianvb at Sep 11, 2010,
... Continuing the update, image limit reached. >;l

Anyways, in the end the real body matched the template pretty well.

Now for a little "Although we had a few setbacks, we got the job done! Yay, this is the result!" picture.

Now it's time for... more waiting, really. After this we can't really go on without ordering the required parts. Going to do that right now, and I sure hope I'll get them soon.

Thanks for the comments by the way, I appreciate them a lot! Keep 'em coming, I would say.
Last edited by Kylianvb at Sep 11, 2010,
I like your shirts

The guitar is looking great so far.
I want to see it finished.
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
I came across some trouble with that Nashville style bridge..

It's the kind designed to stick in a wooden bridge for hollowbodies, and does not come with the studs or adjustment screws that a bridge directly mounted into the body would.

Alas, I'm having a hard time finding a high quality, low cost version of the TOM I'm looking for (I prefer nickel) though...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by Shinozoku
I came across some trouble with that Nashville style bridge..

It's the kind designed to stick in a wooden bridge for hollowbodies, and does not come with the studs or adjustment screws that a bridge directly mounted into the body would.

Alas, I'm having a hard time finding a high quality, low cost version of the TOM I'm looking for (I prefer nickel) though...

Aww, wished someone had posted that earlier. Just ordered all the stuff I needed, including the bridge. I'm a bit confused now though, as I saw that some 81' flying V's had Nashville bridges, as do some SG's...

If the studs/screws for mounting in a solid body are not there, I can replace those with other screws (assuming they're the same size, obviously) though, right?

Also, thanks Shaggy! I love these shirts as well .
Ideally, yes. You just need to get the things to countersink into the body.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Hmm, a bit of a downer. As I've said, I've ordered pretty much everything I need... And called them to ask how long it's going to take. Apparently, they didn't have the neck I ordered in stock, so it will take another 2 to 3 weeks... Bawww....
Big fan of jimi and his signature v. This is definitely going to be a sweet build man.
Just got something in the mail... I wonder what it is.

Oh, that's right! Totally forgot about that! I ordered the pickguard from another store!

Guess I just wanted to post some good news, hehe.. I'm pretty sure that, apart from this and the huge delivery coming up in a few weeks, I've got nothing else coming up though, so we'll have to wait for the huge delivery now.

Quote by extra heavy
Big fan of jimi and his signature v. This is definitely going to be a sweet build man.

Also, thanks bro!
Last edited by Kylianvb at Sep 16, 2010,
i cant wait to see this! im trying my best to build another Jimi guitar, the Monterey Pop Stratocaster.

i forget what kind of stuff jimi played with the flying v, but i still think they look awesome with a nice tremolo on them, then again i don't know how tremolo's are on flying v's.

good luck, i'll be watching this :P
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
About a week ago I did something that I figured wasn't really update worthy... I rounded off the edges of the guitar. Not really revolutionary or amazing, but it does look more refined.

And today, another package arrived in the mail... Even my cat was interested!

It seemed a bit small to me, but when I opened it up, it was all in there (Except for the pickups, I still have to order those).

So, from top left to bottom right... Vibrola, strapholders, tuners, switch, capacitor, tone knob, volume knobs, pots, jack, nut, bridge.

And, of course, the neck!

I'm really happy I can start doing stuff again! I think I'll shape the headstock next, and try and figure out the neck pocket. Any tips on actually creating the angle for the neck? I'm not really sure on how to do that.
not to kill ur buzz or anything but i thought it was voodoo chile not child on the truss cover but anywho looks sweet man hope it turns out awesome i'll definately check this out later when your done
Quote by redandwhite12
not to kill ur buzz or anything but i thought it was voodoo chile not child on the truss cover but anywho looks sweet man hope it turns out awesome i'll definately check this out later when your done

Well, 'Voodoo Chile' is the 15 minute jam, and it was something they did as somewhat of a joke because Jimi didn't pronounce the end of the word, also done on the song 'Highway Chile'. Another explanation is that there was just a typo on the albumcover . The shorter (really famous) version, however, is called 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return)', which is just a way better name for a guitar than Chile . Also, thanks!
Last edited by Kylianvb at Oct 2, 2010,
... Well, that took me long enough.

I've been really busy with school and all, and my dad's been quite busy as well, so sorry for the delays! Finally got some work done yesterday and today though, we shaped the headstock. The headstock wasn't wide enough, so we took off a bit from the top, and glued that on the sides, as displayed in this wonderful pointless graph.

So... Yeah, we started doing that.

After that was done, we used some filler to even it out...

And finally shaped it.

Yay! Also, I finally acquired the right copy bits for the router, and these were like hell to find in Holland.

So... Probably going to reshape the neck heel tomorrow, as that was way too high for a flying V guitar on the neck we bought... Gonna be a hard job, but one I'll have to do anyways.
Last edited by Kylianvb at Oct 29, 2010,
Looks awesome! I love Gibson style V's, my absolute favourite.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
i could tell by the accuracy on the body cut out that this has great potential. Im pretty excited to see how you get the paint job down and everything.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Once again, a delivery!

Needless to say, my cat has a certain fondness of boxes.

Oh boy, what could it be?

THEY'RE SO SHINYYYY!!

So yeah, that's what happened today. I totally forgot to post the stuff I did last week though, so time for a recap... Drilled the holes in the headstock...

Continuing from the previous one, because of this image limit thingy...

I also started checking out some stuff, like how certain parts would fit, how I have to edit the paintjob, as the bodyshape (for instance the angles at the neck) are not completely the same as the 1968 V...

Which resulted in this mess.

It was also time for some routing though, so did the templates...

And finished up the routing!

Next step is working on the neck contour+glueing in the neck... After that it's slamming the hardware on there, doing some adjustments, working out the electronics and painting... And that's it!
oh man, you have me like totally waiting for updates on this!! i love Gibson V's, and this thing looks like one sexy mofo!!
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by Explorerbuilder
T'hat is an EXTREMELY small neck pocket. I would have gone with a long tenon that goes all the way into the pickup cavity. One that small is pushing it.

+1

What's up with that pocket? It looks like it's about an inch and a half long...otherwise, this build is coming along great. Solid work!
Page 1 of 3