Hai Guis.
So, I play guitar in a ska group usually, but I'm branching out and doing a little acoustic side project to expand my playing abilities. What I'm currently doing to remember ideas is use a MXL 990 condenser mic hooked straight into the mic jack on my laptop. The recording software I'm using is Audacity.
Now, since I'm recording purely acoustic guitar (and occasionally vocals), I don't have a lot of pickup range, so the mic is placed pretty close to the sound source. The problem I'm running into here is that I'm getting a lot of pick noise (hitting the pickguard, etc.).
How can I stop this from being picked up, or filter it out? Or do I need to adjust my playing style?

Thanks for the help!
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
um, how the hell are you hooking a 990 straight into the mic port? where are you getting phantom power?

anyway, short answer is you either need to adjust your playing style, or just figure a way to deal with it. not really a good answer, but thats kinda the way it is you can try a sharp notch filter, but you have to find the exact frequency at which the pick noise is. and i feel that it often ends up washing things out a bit, especially at certain frequencies.
I rigged the mic to run off of a 9v

And alright. Any tips on changing my playing style? Thanks for the help though.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12