i can do it when i play random stuff but when i follow a pattern like 1 4 5 or that i get lost. i dont want to play barre chords or power chords the whole time, i like to have little thingies inbetween. if you know what i mean. is there a lesson on this and how do you call it
i try to do the same but i play with songs so when i get the chance i do a fill that follows the chord timing and it also is played in that area then move on
Who's your daddy... well not me cuz ur momas ugly

These things are sex transport vehichles woot

This man just got a station wagon.
Can u be more specific or give a popular example? Do u mean break up the time u spend on chords w nonchord stuff inbetween like jimi h in wind cries Mary, or use chord fragments to support the song pattern, like freddie green , the count Basie guy who used abt 3 strings to play complx chords? Mebbe if I knew what abt 1 4 5 was tripping u up, is it rhythmical, or chordal, or scalar...
Its called theory and you pretty much have to get used to the "1 4 5" pattern type things.

By break up the chords I assume you mean instead of just strumming a chord, playing a little lick with the notes of the chord?

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Arpeggiating the chord, maybe?
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
yes i mean playing licks with the notes of that chord instead of just strumming the chord.
so while your playing the licks you can hear the chord progression.

and i got the triads down too i play them alot.
i think what your looking for is called chord embellishment, like Jimi Hendrix did in a lot of his songs (i.e. Bold As Love, Little Wing, etc.) so search for chord embellishment lessons.
Quote by pointblankpb10
i think what your looking for is called chord embellishment, like Jimi Hendrix did in a lot of his songs (i.e. Bold As Love, Little Wing, etc.) so search for chord embellishment lessons.

This.

Chord embellishment is an incredible technique. I find it easiest to do when I thumb the root of the chord and use my other 4 fingers to play voicings and chord extensions by hammering on, pulling off, sliding, bending, etc. Hendrix is a great example, but his stuff may be a bit complicated to start off on, unless you're really dedicated and are willing to sit down with the sheet music/tablature for a few hours. Frusciante is another master of this. Lessons will help, but after you've learned the technique the best thing to do is to learn songs that use embellishments. Good starting points are:

Dani California (listen to the way Froosh plays the 2nd half of the verses) - RHCP
Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam
Under The Bridge - RCHP
Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix

There are countless other examples by these artists and many others. Listen to some songs that you like that use this technique, and learn them. Then figure out what voicings are played and more importantly, WHY they're played. Understanding how they work with the progression will help you much more in using the embellishments appropriately than simply learning the licks.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.