Hey. I have a Classic 30 amp and am going to be needing to get a lot more out of it. I'm going for a Whitechapel/Parkway Drive tone, and other similar bands. What is the best pedal I can get for not too much money? I'm flexible with my budget but I'd like to stay around $100. So something that has good tone and can deliver the tone I want.
This one is new, but has received fantastic reviews in the trades:

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htblackfire.html

And if you are looking for something under US$100.00, there's always the old EHX standby:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-XO-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=153339
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Right at 100$ is the EHX Metal Muff. I have the pocket version and it kills. Just imagine the full version. I tried the pocket version out agains boss metalcore, metalzone, digitech death metal, grunge, and it blew all of these out of the water, and the metal muff pocket was 70 bucks cheaper
Anything.
It's Death Metal, no matter what you use i'm sure you can find a way to make it sound shitty to fit your musical style.
Quote by MagicsDevil
Anything.
It's Death Metal, no matter what you use i'm sure you can find a way to make it sound shitty to fit your musical style.

That's a bold statement. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say the tone is shitty.
lulz @ magicsdevil, to OP maybe you can try to get an OD pedal and use it as a clean boost to drive the front harder
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
I use the Digitech Hardwire TL-2
its pretty brutal, it replaced both my DS-1 AND my digitech deathmetal
true bypass
very quiet
extremely high out but and awesome distortion
very versatile tone wise 4band eq bass mid, midrange, and treble
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
Quote by jman007_93
Yeah, I've heard the TL-2 might be a possible choice. And if I went for an OD pedal, will the distortion be able to get pushed far enough?

If you're looking for flesh-rending gain, then no, a mere OD pedal won't be enough unless you are driving an already high-gain amp.

Try some of the manufacturers' websites. A lot of them are posting sound clips these days. They aren't perfect, but they'll give you some idea of what you are getting into.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by MagicsDevil
Anything.

*reported* Why say this? How is this helpful?

The Gus G signature Blackstar pedal recommended in the first post is supposed to be great.

The Hardwire TL-2 is very nice on a tight budget...

Of course, there's the Barber Dirty Bomb, which is also great.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Barber Dirty Bomb is my favorite. The TL-2 tends to be the perennial favorite; I think it sounds okay.

As far as OD, you can push your C30 to do metal if you boost it. I'd look into a used MXR GT-OD or a used Maxon OD9 paired with a Danelectro Fish N' Chips EQ.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Ultimate solution for the sterile issue? Dont rely on pedals for your 'distortion' sell the classic 30 and save up with that money for a used Peavey 5150 or Bugera 6260 to start out on.
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
Quote by MagicsDevil
Anything.
Yay for sweeping generalisations, ignorance and stupidity!

Anyway, the metal muff won't get you modern metal tones.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
+1 to any of the Blackstar stuff and the Dirty Bomb.

Keeley Twilightzone anyone?
MXR Fullbore Metal or Digitech Metal Master.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
MXR Fullbore Metal or Digitech Metal Master.

No.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by jman007_93
Yeah, I've heard the TL-2 might be a possible choice. And if I went for an OD pedal, will the distortion be able to get pushed far enough?

short answer is, "depends on the OD."

If you go the OD route, I'll throw the catalinbread DLS into the mix, pretty much a JCM800 in stompbox form. I replaced a Radial tonebone classic and a twilightzone with one of those and never looked back (and I LOVED those pedals!)

do yourself a favor and avoid any of the stock boss stuff. some people like the TL-2, I thought it sounded like garbage to each his own, but the other digitech distortion pedals (metal master, death metal, etc.) are hot trash... over-priced paper weights.
Quote by SLonergan
No.

Seriously? I use it, and it kicks ass for me.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by jman007_93
The only thing that turns me off is a lot of videos for pedals on youtube sound very sterile, not the thick sound I'm looking for. I'll check the Barber Dirty Bomb out, its in the price range I suppose...

i had the same problem with my tl-2
here's what i did
bass - all the way up
mids + mid range - 12 o'clock
treb about 3 o'clock

nice thick sound with a bunch of punch on the bottom end
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Seriously? I use it, and it kicks ass for me.

seriously... like anything, it has it's purposes. even the line6 uber metal finds its way into the studio from time to time just to make an intentionally nasty sound, but the MM is not a pedal that'll deliver tone you want all the time.

fullbore wasn't a terrible call though. i don't like it, but it's also not my thing. probably the best description of one that i've heard is its "an uber metal done right." plus they can be had on the cheap since they're mass produced and well distributed... the future of pawn shop candy.

just to make this clear, like i said before, boss dist/od's are junk, BUT there are some great DIY mods to their pedals that're pretty easy if you're tech savy at all. might be worth your while if you can find an old ds-1, mt-2, bluesdriver, or whatev in a pawn shop for $20 and less than another $20 in parts from your local electronics supply store...?
Quote by jman007_93
The only thing that turns me off is a lot of videos for pedals on youtube sound very sterile, not the thick sound I'm looking for...

youtube videos are highly compressed by the website (same as posting clips on UG), so it'll never sound the same on youtube as it will in person. you're automatically going to lose most of the ambient dynamics and harmonic content of a pedal when all you have to go by is an online vid.
Yeah after trying, I actually can get a pretty decent sound from the C30 alone with the gain turned up all the way. It gets up there but it doesn't lose that crunch it has. So it doesn't have the thickness I'm looking for.