So it looks like I'm going to purchase either an SG or an SG Special.

Was wondering where in NYC you would recommend to buy and what I would expect to be paying for each model.

If anyone has any advice on which one to get out of the two I'd also appreciate that. Gear's in the sig. Play blues/blues-rock/indie/alternative. Basically anything less heavy than metal, and not free-form jazz or anything.

Merci,
D.
They're pretty much the same guitar, other than the Standard gets the slightly prettier and slightly higher grade cuts of wood. The main problem you'll have is that every single Gibson is different, especially in terms of the neck profile. So there's no point going for just one or two specific models or limiting yourself to just a few shops. You'll most likely have to visit at least three or four stores and play at least ten or so guitars before you find one which suits you, and it might be a Special, a Standard, a Goddess, a Special Faded, a '61 RI, an Angus Young model, who knows. You've really just got to go everywhere and play as many guitars as you can get your hands on. When you find one that fits your hand right, buy that specific one.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Go to the Guitar Center on 14th St. near Union Square. It’s worth the trip just to check out the vintage equipment room—it’s larger than most vintage guitar stores. They also have a nice glass room that you can check out the expensive guitars in instead of playing them out on the floor with the rest of us riff-raff. Take a look around while you’re there; they do some heavy discounting because it’s a flagship store and I often see stuff there priced at or below internet discount prices and clearance prices can go as low as 60% off list price.
I would try to get to get out of the city to buy a guitar, maybe take a trip to long island or even better try to get up to jersey, you'll get better prices out there than in NYC (especially midtown). I'd also check craigslist for someone in the 5 boroughs with an SG, or someone on the island who'd come up and meet you. You'll get an awesome deal on CL. I actually got a like new SG standard in heritage cherry for $600 from a guy who worked in the store next to where I worked, so the deals are out there! Good luck!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
…you'll get better prices out there than in NYC…

Aren’t prices on New Gibson guitars fixed in the US?
Quote by jpnyc
Go to the Guitar Center on 14th St. near Union Square. It’s worth the trip just to check out the vintage equipment room—it’s larger than most vintage guitar stores. They also have a nice glass room that you can check out the expensive guitars in instead of playing them out on the floor with the rest of us riff-raff. Take a look around while you’re there; they do some heavy discounting because it’s a flagship store and I often see stuff there priced at or below internet discount prices and clearance prices can go as low as 60% off list price.

Cheers for the advice man, that sounds really good. I'm staying near Grand Central Stn so I'll definitely give that store a quick gander. Even if I don't buy anything that appears to be a great place to visit.

As for craigslist or leaving NYC I think that would be an unlikely option.

Any advice on the sort of prices (inc tax) I would be looking to pay would also be good. For comparison, in a store in England an SG Standard seems to go for about £1000 which is about $1550. Second hand we're looking at around £700 - £800 (£700 being about $1100).