hey guys, i got a cheap guitar humidifier but have no idea how much to use it. its a plastic case that has a sponge in it, and its put in the guitar sound hole. I basically check it every other day and make sure its slightly damp. i keep my guitar in the case. is this what i should be doing? or do i have to buy a humidity gauge of some sort, where would i even get one?

edit: i live in boston and its 80-90 degrees in summer, ac is usually on

thx guys
Last edited by chocotiger at Aug 19, 2010,
You need a hygrometer. That will tell you I'd you even need the humidifier at all. Can't say how much you need to humidify without knowing the present humidification(is that a word?)
Boston? Summer you're okay without the humidifier. Winter, you'll need it. The dry air from the heater sucks up moisture.

There's some helpful info in my sig link about humidification.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
if you ac is on, you'll probably need to humidify as ac removes the moisture from the air.

but the FIRST thing you need to do is buy a hygrometer, test it and use it. you don't want to put a humidifier in the case of a guitar that may already be too humid.
Get something like this to keep in your case. Also get the calibration thingy that they recommend with it. It's only $24 for both.

Hygrometer

It's about 60% humidity in my basement right now with two dehumidifiers going. In the winter, I have a cool mist humidifier running because it gets below 40% humidity
Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
Psalm 33:3