Greetings denizens of Ultimate Guitar!

I come to you seeking advice on which guitar I should make my new pride and joy.

I'm nearing my 18th year and blah blah blah, you get the idea.

I'm looking for a nice little guitar with around £700 being my maximum budget.

Something that'd suit music similar to Obscura, Necrophagist, Death, The Faceless, pretty much all metal - but especially the aforementioned bands!

So, something good for a little shredding and fairly tech riffs.

I'm by no means anywhere (nowhere) near virtuoso level, but I'm setting my sights high here.

I've done a tad of research and I've came up with a couple of models I'm interested in and their average price.

Ibanez Prestige RG1570/RG1550 - £700

Ibanez RG370DX - £330

Ibanez RGA32 - £300

Ibanez RG350EX - £360

Jackson DKMG Dinky - £570

So, I'd like to hear opinions on which I should get.

I'm open to new suggestions, also!

I'm not too fond of SOME exotic-looking guitars, and I'm sure as hell not going anywhere near any Deans - unless they don't have that ridiculous V-shaped headstock.

Double locking trem is desired, but not at all essential.

Preferred pickups would be EMG 81's and 85's

So, some advice would be very very much appreciated
Last edited by TheTAHighlander at Aug 19, 2010,
Well with that list im gonna say go with the Prestige, or hell if you can the RG1550 in poison pumpkin finish... i love those. ive seen them on ebay for as low as $650. I dunno how much that is for you though...

but the 1570 is the exact same thing, without the maple fretboard and pickguard. both great guitars.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Quote by espplayer400
Well with that list im gonna say go with the Prestige, or hell if you can the RG1550 in poison pumpkin finish... i love those. ive seen them on ebay for as low as $650. I dunno how much that is for you though...

but the 1570 is the exact same thing, without the maple fretboard and pickguard. both great guitars.

+1
Ibanez is the way to go dude
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

I personally love Jackson guitars, they are good for speed and tech metal... but that's just me, haha good luck
Quote by espplayer400

Thanks a lot for your reply!

650 dollars is a good bit less than my budget - probably around 350-400 pounds!

So, that's terrific!

(Have you ever bought a guitar off Ebay? Would you recommend it?)

And like I said - I'm open to more than Ibanez, so any other recommendations outside of Ibanez would be appreciated!

Also - The lower the price, the better.

I'm on a pretty tight budget and I'm not even sure if the 'rents will fork out 600 pounds or so for my new axe - me having £150 pounds put aside.
heres what I'd suggest:

personally, I'm not an Ibanez fan - unless you spend a lot of cash, you'll usually end up with a guitar with a great neck but I don't like much else about them... I'd suggest an ESP ltd... maybe the MH350FR
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/44738-esp-ltd-mh-350fr-electric-guitar-see-thru-red-.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base
(comes in black as well) which has genuine EMGs and a Floyd Rose, or if you have a slightly tigher budget than you expected maybe the KH-202 Kirk Hammett Sig (if you aren't a Metallica fan don't let that stop you, its a great guitar for any metal)
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/44795-esp-ltd-kh-202-kirk-hammett-signature-electric-guitar.html
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
heres what I'd suggest:

personally, I'm not an Ibanez fan - unless you spend a lot of cash, you'll usually end up with a guitar with a great neck but I don't like much else about them... I'd suggest an ESP ltd... maybe the MH350FR
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/44738-esp-ltd-mh-350fr-electric-guitar-see-thru-red-.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base
(comes in black as well) which has genuine EMGs and a Floyd Rose, or if you have a slightly tigher budget than you expected maybe the KH-202 Kirk Hammett Sig (if you aren't a Metallica fan don't let that stop you, its a great guitar for any metal)
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/44795-esp-ltd-kh-202-kirk-hammett-signature-electric-guitar.html

Cheers for your reply!

Personally, I quite like Metallica, but I'm really not a big fan of signature guitars at all - or those inlays D:

And I somewhat think Kirk Hammett is a douche... (No offense to any fans of Kirk's) But I'll certainly consider it!

However, the MH350 sounds like a terrific idea, except for the XJ frets.

I've only ever used jumbo frets, would it really make that much of a difference?

I'm not very heavy-handed on the fretboard, if that helps!
Last edited by TheTAHighlander at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by TheTAHighlander
Cheers for your reply!

Personally, I quite like Metallica, but I'm really not a big fan of signature guitars at all - or those inlays D:

And I somewhat think Kirk Hammett is a douche... (No offense to any fans of Kirk's) But I'll certainly consider it!

However, the MH350 sounds like a terrific idea, except for the XJ frets.

I've only ever used jumbo frets, would it really make that much of a difference?

I'm not very heavy-handed on the fretboard, if that helps!

I wouldn't worry - it says XJ frets but its a guitar thats designed for shred and metal, I've played it a few times and its pretty easy to play
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I wouldn't worry - it says XJ frets but its a guitar thats designed for shred and metal, I've played it a few times and its pretty easy to play

Awesome - I'm definitely considering that then!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - more are always welcome!

I must say, my first experience posting on UG's forums has been a great one, so thanks for that as well!
If u have to get ibanez, make sure it's heavy enuf in weight so it gives u alot low end unplugd cuz they often don't have enuf real bass to dial in, my gio didn't.played awesome but sounded like a tennis racquet with rubbr bands. Great necks, but I'd prefer charvel, Jackson, ... Now every Jackson endorser has gone Ltd so I'd be fine with those. Personally, I hate Kirk Hammetts playing, but he's got a thicker tone t Han vai, korn, satch. They're all made by the same Asians anyways so as long as u have a quality pickup, then have it on the best looking guitar that makes u want to play. I notice alot of rage over Blackouts vs Emgs81, so keep that in mind. SDunc makes great stuff so I wdnt be sprised they have more tone. Emgs are very fun, but when u let the chord ring out, it's not so toney. But hella chunky and pinchsqueal galore, easy to play.
Sir, I faced the very same dilemma quite recently. My eventual purchase was a PRS SE Torero for $1000 Canadian, which should be short of your 700 quid deadline. It's a perfect instrument, absolutely perfect. Deep cutaways, classy, obviously intended for metal, but not tacky at all - almost mistakable for a jazzier solidbody. But make no mistake, it's a metallic beast - 24 medium frets, insanely fast neck (ebony fingerboard), and Original Floyd sealed the deal for me. It's got an EMG 81/85 set, which I'm not all that hot on (along with my old-school and tech. death obsessions with Death, Necrophagist, and so on, I'm also a bit of a doomster, and the EMGs are a little sterile for that Sabbath/Wizard tone IMO... but that's mostly my shit solid state Peavey 2x12 Classic Chorus, in all likelihood). But it's flawless - I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone into technical metal subgenres. I'd played LTD after Rich after Ibanez after Schecter and nothing was doing it for me the way the Torero did. At least try one out sometime.

I have the red one (http://guitarless.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/PRS-Torero.jpg) because that's what they had in the store, but I'm kicking myself because the grey one is SO SEXY http://www.sweetwater.com/images/guitars/SEToreroGB/J21433/J21433-body-l.jpg

-24 medium frets, fast action neck, ebony fingerboard
-Pickup selector switch is extremely satisfying
-EMG 81/85s standard
-Original Floyd Rose
-Paul Reed Smith
-Mahogany, neck-through-body one-piece construction
-Singing sustain, excellent clarity
-Doesn't do cleans very well... oddly enough, my Schecter Devil cleans up a lot more nicely. But oh well.
-One of the highest quality musical instruments I've ever had the pleasure to play, let alone own.
-Sexy as hell
-All for roughly 600lb.
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Schecter Devil (C# Standard)
Peavey Butcher (late 80s, 120 watt)
Traynor 4x12
Earthbound Audio Supercollider fuzz
H&K Warp Factor distortion
Last edited by divortium at Aug 20, 2010,
Personally, i find the necks on the Jackson better than on my Ibanez RG. :/
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
OP - I've bought all my guitars (3 in total) off of ebay. My thought is that if you do the research, try to make a reasonable estimate of whether or not your seller knows what he's selling and has described the guitar in a way that makes sense, and you make sure the condition of the guitar (if you go used) is acceptable by viewing pictures and sort of trusting the seller's descriptions, then ebaying guitars is fine. And of course there's always a bit of risk, but IMO the money you save from doing so makes up for that.

Also, I agree with Raven that Jackson necks > Ibanez necks. I feel Ibanez necks are too thin, but this is all subjective. You should play them in a store and see which you like better.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
heres what I'd suggest:

lol wut?

mh350 vs prestige?

m1000 would be a more reasonable comparison

out of the guitars you've listed,i strongly reccomend that you get the rg1570

and also SE torerro is a good rec
Why don't you look at Ibanez RG1451 Prestige?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFjtq3ozdS0&feature=related

Its around £645

Fixed Bridge Prestige sound like a winner...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Aug 20, 2010,
Second hand all the way. I got myself an RG2620 Prestige in pristine condition for £500 last year, and an RG470 with a bit of a battering here and there (just around the edge) for £165 on another forum.

This would be a pretty good deal - with a pup swap (I now have a BKP Warpig bridge, Trilogy Suite mid and IronGear Rolling Mill neck) it's brilliant, and you'll still have pub money. The trem isn't as good as a prestige (it's a lo-trs) but they're supposed to be a direct swap for an OFR - Gotoh's are only £120 new.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-RG470-RG-Series-Electric-Guitar-Hardcase-/220655845631?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV#ht_500wt_1154
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Last edited by Hidden Hippo at Aug 20, 2010,
If you can afford an Ibby Prestige, get one. They play in a different league than ESP Ltd guitars and the RG1570 is one of the cheapest "professional" guitars I can think of. Yeah, the pickups in it aren't great, but anything else - timbers, hardware, general construction is great.
I'd say go for one of these and upgrade the pups later on, if you need to. I know that other guitars have better pups in that price range, but they have shortcomings in the aforementioned areas, where the Ibby excels. And pups can be upgraded, tonewoods and construction? - not so much.

Naturally, you'd have to try the guitars out to make sure what you want and the thin Ibanez RG necks aren't for everyone. But they're rather popular for the types of music you mentioned.

I find the thought that an Ltd can compete with a Prestige rather amusing, to put it kindly. A 1000-series instrument might just come close, but anything else? Forget it.
Quote by divortium
Sir, I faced the very same dilemma quite recently. My eventual purchase was a PRS SE Torero for $1000 Canadian, which should be short of your 700 quid deadline. It's a perfect instrument, absolutely perfect. Deep cutaways, classy, obviously intended for metal, but not tacky at all - almost mistakable for a jazzier solidbody. But make no mistake, it's a metallic beast - 24 medium frets, insanely fast neck (ebony fingerboard), and Original Floyd sealed the deal for me. It's got an EMG 81/85 set, which I'm not all that hot on (along with my old-school and tech. death obsessions with Death, Necrophagist, and so on, I'm also a bit of a doomster, and the EMGs are a little sterile for that Sabbath/Wizard tone IMO... but that's mostly my shit solid state Peavey 2x12 Classic Chorus, in all likelihood). But it's flawless - I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone into technical metal subgenres. I'd played LTD after Rich after Ibanez after Schecter and nothing was doing it for me the way the Torero did. At least try one out sometime.

I have the red one (http://guitarless.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/PRS-Torero.jpg) because that's what they had in the store, but I'm kicking myself because the grey one is SO SEXY http://www.sweetwater.com/images/guitars/SEToreroGB/J21433/J21433-body-l.jpg

-24 medium frets, fast action neck, ebony fingerboard
-Pickup selector switch is extremely satisfying
-EMG 81/85s standard
-Original Floyd Rose
-Paul Reed Smith
-Mahogany, neck-through-body one-piece construction
-Singing sustain, excellent clarity
-Doesn't do cleans very well... oddly enough, my Schecter Devil cleans up a lot more nicely. But oh well.
-One of the highest quality musical instruments I've ever had the pleasure to play, let alone own.
-Sexy as hell
-All for roughly 600lb.

The SE Torero is pretty much a perfect choice, but unfortunately its just under £1k
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
The SE Torero is pretty much a perfect choice, but unfortunately its just under £1k

Damn, I got my Torero for $1000 Canadian, which should be around 615lb. Something justifies a 1.62x markup, then.

Note to self: Don't move to Britain.

EDIT: Here, Ibanez Prestiges are like $1500+... I don't get how a Torero is $500 less than a Prestige here and three-hundred quid more over there.
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Schecter Devil (C# Standard)
Peavey Butcher (late 80s, 120 watt)
Traynor 4x12
Earthbound Audio Supercollider fuzz
H&K Warp Factor distortion
Last edited by divortium at Aug 20, 2010,
well. i have a jackson kelly guitar and it is absolutely amazing! granted i have a 20 year old one so idk how they are now a days but mine plays and sounds absolutly amazing
I have an Epiphone Les PAUL ex Prophecy and it handles metal extraordinary and trechnical riffs too, it has EMG 81/85 pickups, But ofc it costs about 1000-1400 $ but its absolutely worth it.