Specifically, I want to know the differences between the 5150, 5150 II, the 6505 & the 6505+.

I've heard various things, of course, about how they're the same beast under different names, but I want to know if that's really true, or if there's any difference at all.

Also, of course this it he go-to for all things metal and heavy related, but having played a 6505 112+ recently, I'm starting to have reservations. I'm looking into an amp that will suit my death metal/metalcore playing styles better than my ValveKing, but the 6505+ I played seemed... really weak, at least compared to the hype and what they're known for.

Are these really good amps for really heavy music? I found that the 5150 was basically EVH's amp, which kind of makes me uncertain, because EVH isn't exactly the heaviest person out there.

So how much of that is true, and what are your insights on these amps?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
5150 = 6505

5150II = 6505+

The difference between the 2 is that the 6505+/5150II has an extra preamp tube. i'll leave the tonal details to someone else.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
the 5150II and 6505+ have a little less gain, and are smoother. better for lead playing and such.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
The II/+ has separate EQ controls for each channel which is probably one of the bigger differences.

If the 6505+112 sounded weak either you were doing something wrong or it was a dud. Granted it could probably use some better tubes and speaker but it should slay on it's own. I like it better than the USA made 212 combos (but not as much as the heads).

Also EVH just put his name on the 5150 he didn't actually use them so I would not make a decision on this amp based on that fact. When this amp came out Van Halen was a pretty heavy band comparatively but very unlike the modded Marshalls that Eddie actually used.

He owned the 5150 name so when he parted from Peavey they had to change the name - hence the 6505. Fun fact. The 5153 is made by Fender. Sad fact is they are made in Mexico and cost more than they are worth imo.

What is your budget for new amp, do you gig, where do you live roughly, have you done any mods to your VK, can you take your guitar and play the 6505+112 again, blah bla blah.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 19, 2010,
^That

The 6505+ 112 has an inordinate amount of gain; anything over 7 and it's uncontrollable.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
5150/6505 sound rawer and a little ballsier than their 5150II/6505+ counter parts.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

What is your budget for new amp, do you gig, where do you live roughly, have you done any mods to your VK, can you take your guitar and play the 6505+112 again, blah bla blah.

Budget: I don't have very much, I'm looking used, definitely. I'd like to keep it around $500-$600. I've seen a 5150 2X12 go used for $475, and I consider that to be a steal. I understand I may not be able to find one that cheap again.

I am looking for a 212, and I think I want the 5150/6505 if they have more balls. Cleans aren't a concern, my VK excels in that area.

I do plan on gigging.

I live in the Riverside/San Diego county area (southern California, basically.)

When I bought my VK used, it was already modded with JJ tubes, so it has more balls already than the standard VK's. It works, and I can certainly get heavy tones out of it, but I want something with more presence and balls. More low end depth, but without being so muddy and hard to EQ.

I don't think I can take my guitar to play the 6505+ (It was in Best Buy, not a music store). I usually play a Hellraiser through it. FWIW, I'm also getting an LTD MH-1000.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^^did you ever try a new speaker in VK....that make a huge difference.

Sounds like you might be keeping the VK.

Another idea would be to sell the VK to fund a new amp

I see a Carvin X100B and a Mesa Boogie F50 combo on your Clist. I also see an Ampeg VH140C.

then there is always this:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/msg/1897383602.html

PS: I've taken my guitar into a Best Buy music store before.
Yeah, I never planned on getting rid of the ValveKing. I'm going to use an ABY pedal to run both amps. I haven't tried switching out the speakers. I don't know if I will, since I plan on using it almost solely for cleans in the future, and I couldn't be happier with it's cleans.

Thanks a lot for that link Arterial.

It looks like I'll be looking for a 5150 combo then.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 20, 2010,
^^^I was not aware that Eddie actually used 5150s

If you are keeping the VK and already like the cleans (they really are pretty good) then I highly suggest swapping the speaker. Not sure what is best. Maybe a Texas Heat? I put a Red Coat Man O War in mine and was pretty shocked at how much better the amp sounded.

I also like the new 6505+112