So, I made the mistake of buying a Cherry Sunburst Epiphone Les Paul... Don't get me wrong, it sounds pretty great but the look? Not so much...

I would like to repaint the body either completely White or completely Black and I Need some help. If someone could please give me some tips on how to Paint it and how to handle it... Do i take off everything (Strings, Pickups, Pick Guard Etc...)? How much do I have to sand it down? Does it need special kind of Paint?

I've never really done any Customizing of...well...anything before so I'd appreciate some help on this.

Thanks,
Max
Take everything off. Mask fretboard and headstock if you dont want to paint that too. Rough the finish if you are painting it black or sand to wood if you are painting it white, spray paint over roughed finish or prime and spray over bare wood. LIGHT COATS. Spray 3 more coats after you think you have everything covered. Use flat paint. Spray on poly, 20 light coats. Wet sand after each coat of paint and a week after you think the poly dried. Dont sand between poly coats and be 110% sure that anything you are sanding is dry. Sanding wet paint or poly is going to **** it up. To really bring out the shine use a rubbing compound on your finish. Any question direct yourself to the Ultimate Painting thread.
Ibanez RG with SDBlackouts
Epiphone SG with SD SH1 59/SH4 JB

Fender Blues Jr.
Fender G-DEC 30

Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
before anything, did you buy it recently? is there any chance you could return/exchange it?
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Not too sure when I bought it but I do know I still have the receipt but either way I don't think I can return it after sanding it down and repainting it lol
Quote by max schwartz
Not too sure when I bought it but I do know I still have the receipt but either way I don't think I can return it after sanding it down and repainting it lol

I think he means to take it back and change it for a black or white one like you're wanting ?
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna