Hey, im concidering modding my squire jazz bass, and i have a few questions, so il just get stuck in, i posted this in the Customization thing too, but some of these questions are very bass orientated, so i thought i should ask in here...

Before anyone sugests buy a new bass, no, ive recently got abit of money together, not enough to get a new good quality amp or bass, and as christmas/birthdday money this year is going all on the amp, i thought ide try and make my squire that bit better seen as il have it for another year at least....

1) What are the benifits of a bad ass II bridge?

2) Will a bad ass II bridge be a direct fit for my squire?

3) What exactly is a 'hipshot D-tuner' and how does it work? I know it changes my tuning for me but is it always reliable? and does it do the same for tuning back up to E?

4) How noticable would a change in pickup be? And what would anyone recomend in the way of pickups?

And finaly!

5) I dont use my neck pick up at all, its constatly set to 0 volume, if i changed my bridge pickup i would have any problems with it would i?

Now sorry about the essay, but as far as modding goes, my biggest job is drilling some holes so my new scratch plate would fit, so im a total noob, Some questions might seem stupid to everyone but hey! Its better to be safe than sorry right?
Last edited by SamWhiteBASS at Aug 19, 2010,
1) Bad Ass II bridges are supposed to improve sustain, they're a more solid bridge, and a lot more reliable and stable than a standard Squier bridge.

2) BAII's are direct replacements for Fender bridge's, I don't know if Squier follows the exact same pattern, but if it doesn't, its not too hard to drill a few new holes. The hole patterns should be the same though.

3) A D-tuner or extender is a replacement tuning key for your low E string. It has a little lever on it that you can set to an alternate tuning, and flipping the switch will take you from your standard tuning to whatever tuning you set the lever too. It's commonly used to quickly switch from E standard to drop D.

4) Changing out your pickups will noticeably affect your tone, although it really depends on what pickup you throw in there. The standard manufacturers for replacements are the usual Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, EMG, and Bartolini. If you have a little more money to spend you could look at something like Nordstrand or something along those lines (much more expensive).

5) I don't really understand what you're asking. Changing out your bridge pickup and not the neck won't cause any issues if that's what you're getting at.

Another mod you might want to consider is an electronics overhaul. Maybe switch out your pots and caps, the Squier stock ones can't be too good.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
1) Bad Ass II bridges are supposed to improve sustain, they're a more solid bridge, and a lot more reliable and stable than a standard Squier bridge.

Right ok, Is it a good investment then? And would the difference be noticable?

Quote by Tostitos
2) BAII's are direct replacements for Fender bridge's, I don't know if Squier follows the exact same pattern, but if it doesn't, its not too hard to drill a few new holes. The hole patterns should be the same though.

Drilling a few holes is no trouble... That should be ok

Quote by Tostitos
3) A D-tuner or extender is a replacement tuning key for your low E string. It has a little lever on it that you can set to an alternate tuning, and flipping the switch will take you from your standard tuning to whatever tuning you set the lever too. It's commonly used to quickly switch from E standard to drop D.

I take it it isnt possible for it to work the other way round? And tune up from rop D to E standard?

Quote by Tostitos
4) Changing out your pickups will noticeably affect your tone, although it really depends on what pickup you throw in there. The standard manufacturers for replacements are the usual Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, EMG, and Bartolini. If you have a little more money to spend you could look at something like Nordstrand or something along those lines (much more expensive).

Im going to have to stick to the cheaper pickups, im not loaded, but would you have any recomendations on which pickups to do for? I mainly play hard rock, indie and rock... the ocasional bit of funk... but thats not as important as the other three

Quote by Tostitos
5) I don't really understand what you're asking. Changing out your bridge pickup and not the neck won't cause any issues if that's what you're getting at.
Yeah thats all i was asking, seems kinda stupid now i think about it, but ahh wel!

Quote by Tostitos
Another mod you might want to consider is an electronics overhaul. Maybe switch out your pots and caps, the Squier stock ones can't be too good.

How much do you think this would cost to do? And would it be something i could do my self, or a professional job?

Also, what would you say is top of the list for mods? Like what should take priority
a badassII will be a noticable difference, but when I was asking around these parts about bridges a lot of people were recomendeing the Gotoh 201. Its apparently very good (not as good as a BAII but still very good.) but much less inexpensive.
no sir away a papaya war is on
You can use a hipshot in reverse, you just have to use your brain a bit. Put the lower tuning in the "activated" position and the higher tuning in the "regular" position. When you tune up, you're really just deactivating the hipshot.

If you are going to stick to cheaper things then the cheapest areas should be modded. You don't NEED to mod, which is something important. You can save up the money that you would use to mod for a better bass.

For changing one pick up, it won't affect you unless you do a major swap. My roommate last year had passive pickups and he put an active pickup in the bridge and it made his guitar kind of weird (when he switched to the neck pick up, it was like he was clean instead of distortion because of the change in hotness). If you only use your bridge pick up then you don't really need to switch the neck.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
You can use a hipshot in reverse, you just have to use your brain a bit. Put the lower tuning in the "activated" position and the higher tuning in the "regular" position. When you tune up, you're really just deactivating the hipshot.
Right that makes sence! Thankyou

Quote by lordofthefood1
If you are going to stick to cheaper things then the cheapest areas should be modded. You don't NEED to mod, which is something important. You can save up the money that you would use to mod for a better bass.

And i know i dont need to mod, but i have abit of money and i know if i dont spend it on something, il end up graduly loosing it bit by bit and end up with nothing out of it, i need a new amp more than a guitar, atm im gigging through my drummers dads amp, so i could do with my own... But my birthday is like two weeks after christmas so il have more than enough to get something good then, so i though some kind of guitar mod might be a good idea while i have some money lying about...

Quote by lordofthefood1
For changing one pick up, it won't affect you unless you do a major swap. My roommate last year had passive pickups and he put an active pickup in the bridge and it made his guitar kind of weird (when he switched to the neck pick up, it was like he was clean instead of distortion because of the change in hotness). If you only use your bridge pick up then you don't really need to switch the neck.

So you're saying the ickup switch wont actually make much of a difference?
Quote by the_perdestrian
a badassII will be a noticable difference, but when I was asking around these parts about bridges a lot of people were recomendeing the Gotoh 201. Its apparently very good (not as good as a BAII but still very good.) but much less inexpensive.

Oh thanks! Il give it a look now
There is an edit button, use it instead of posting multiple times in a row. The pickup switch will make a HUGE difference. I misunderstood your question. I was answering question 5 with that bit.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Ah sorry about that one, Im kinda useless with forms, il make sure i do next time though
And what kind of pick ups would you recomend? Are there any that are particularly good?