hi,
i've been playing for almost 2 years now and I'm still using a fender squier what is a good upgrade from a squier? i was thinking maybe the Ibanez GRG170DX i have a max budget of $500 any recommendations? i mostly play metal,rock and some blues
bands like 3 Doors Down, Bullet for my Valentine, Parkway Drive, Metallica, System of a down, Creed...
LOL creed. but ya id recommend pretty much any ibanez. as for the grg though, its not going to be too much of an upgrade. if you pay a little more, you could get something better. like say 350 for a RG3EXFM1 or a RG370dx. if you would be willing to pay, you would be getting a much better guitar
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
any ibanez with G in front of the model name are usually pretty low end. a little better than your squier, but with 500, look for an ESP Ltd model. if you look used, you can find amazing deals on alot of them.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
fender=/=good tones for metal and hard rock, which is basically what he listed. kirk and james from metallica as well as one of the guys from parkway drive play ESP and they guy from System palys Ibanez

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
u planning to get an amp too?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by (sic)duckmaggot
fender=/=good tones for metal and hard rock, which is basically what he listed. kirk and james from metallica as well as one of the guys from parkway drive play ESP and they guy from System palys Ibanez

I have an HSS strat, and the bridge humbucker does just fine. Plus if he wanted, he could put in a hotter pickup once he got some more money. And the single coils add some versatility if he wants to branch out.
that is a good point. fenders are alot more versatile if you are gonna play more than hard rock or metal. but if it is your main focus, id stick with ibanez or ESP. Or Schecter or Dean. they usually make pretty good ones

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
Quote by (sic)duckmaggot

I agree TS shouldn't look into a strat, but that reasoning is horrid fail.

I'm not even bothered to post pictures of Malmsteen, Maiden, etc

I third an LTD.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-PB401FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=430951
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-H401FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=430950

^ Those are insanely good deals and they're new.

Although I'd stick with the H more than the PB.

If you looked used you might be able to score an LTD deluxe for 500.

You might also want to look into a new amp, but if you're really sick of your Squier then I'd get the guitar first.
Agree just get a fender hss strat....it will be an upgrade definatly....but I agree with above about an amp...a better guitar is just half of the equation
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I'd check out Schecter especially with the C-1+ having the ability to flip between hum-hum to single single.
Aww crap, TS is in the Netherlands...

Maybe an Epi LP of some sort within your budget.

If you can find an LTD guitar used you should look into that. But when it comes to new I'm not so well read on the Euro market, all I know is that shits more expensive across the pond.
Usually you want to get the most bang for your buck. ^

TS has 500 (dollars? Euros?) but guitars are priced differently in Europe (And horridly in Australia) which is why it might be hard to recommend something because it may seem within budget here. but then it may be 50% more over there.
well if you know you're not gonna put it down, then i'd save up even a little more money, and push it up to about 650, past 500 youre kinda getting out of the shitty guitars and into the nice low end ones. the nicer guitars are worth paying a little more for. but i second the HSS strat. you can still get nice tones from the HSS, and it gives you more versatility. but really, what it comes down to is how it feels in your hand.
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
Quote by explorer_joefro
anything is a good upgrade from a squire ^^

Not always,maybe a stock one lol.I'd rather have a squier with some dimarzios than a schecter anyday lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I didn't bother reading any of the other peoples posts so if this has already been said I'm sorry. I'd go with an Ibanez, Jackson, or LTD. Based on your style and bands your interested in I'd say between those three brands. I play in a band that plays mostly Metallica style stuff and I'm using an Ibanez RG4EXFM1. It's perfect for that style, and also is very good for blues.
Quote by explorer_joefro
anything is a good upgrade from a squire ^^

A good friend once gave me great advice when buying a guitar, which was to forget what people say about the high-end name brand guitars and get a guitar that you like and are comfortable with. I have 3 fender squires. 2 telecasters and one stratocaster. I have played live shows and recorded with a squire. My band has been played on radio (recorded with a squire). Before playing squires I had 45 other guitars, mostly MIM Fender strats. What it came down to was if your Amp and PA System are good enough, you can practically play any guitar and get it to sound how you want it to. Squire is decent guitar. You should be a little less proud and judgmental.
500?
get yourself a used ibanez prestige (if possible) or an ibanez rg550/570/770.

My opinion.