So I traded my Mark IV + some cash for this Rivera KR7.

Its 100W, with plenty of power switching down to 12W. Its incredibly versatile, all the switches sort of make my Mark IV seem simple.

The Cleans are downright amazing. They are some of the best cleans I've heard on a high gainer. Each channel has a switchable boost, so its pretty nice throwing some light OD over the clean.

Channel 2 is nothing short of pure awesome. With the boost, it sounds like a modded JCM 800. With the gain lowered down and the boost off, you can get completely different mid-gain and low gain sounds.

Channel 3 is the only reason I'm not in love with this amp. It looks me FOREVER to dial in the lead channel to something DECENT. It's either incredibly harsh, or overly muddy / neck pickupish. It sounds MUCH better with V30's through the Mesa Cab. It gets super brutal, but its not really my style. Its incredibly organic and raw, but so much that it's not my cup of tea.

It came with the Midi foot controller, which is awesome. All of the features programmed and switchable.. I pretty much need this on all future amps.

I still have some time to play with this, but I may be trading it soon.

If I get rid of it, its going to be fairly depressing.. I don't expect to find cleans like this on another high gain head.
/rig
Last edited by mespinos at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think

I love it, but most of the stuff I play is on channel 3, and It's lacking the same thing my mark IV was lacking. It sounds killer though.
/rig
Quote by mespinos

I love it, but most of the stuff I play is on channel 3, and It's lacking the same thing my mark IV was lacking. It sounds killer though.

at least you are progressively getting where you want it

Edit...
time to update your signature
Quote by mespinos

Looks great on your Vadar. Maybe check into some mods or different tubes before you trade it away. Have you looked into a Splawn Nitro? What about a Baron K88?
Looks great!

HNAD!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Cool - I've always wanted to try a KR7, too bad you think the lead channel is crap. Maybe there's something wrong with it (preamps dead)? Cause the K-Tre sounds ****ing amazing on the clean and lead channel. Muddy is definitely not a characteristic of Rivera, at all
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Cool - I've always wanted to try a KR7, too bad you think the lead channel is crap. Maybe there's something wrong with it (preamps dead)? Cause the K-Tre sounds ****ing amazing on the clean and lead channel. Muddy is definitely not a characteristic of Rivera, at all

Its not really "muddy" just sort of hard to describe I guess.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Looks great on your Vadar. Maybe check into some mods or different tubes before you trade it away. Have you looked into a Splawn Nitro? What about a Baron K88?

It looks awesome on the vader, but theres not enough breakup on the vader. I might try a re-tube.
/rig
There will just have to be another more epic NAD as soon as I sell this.. Have a cash offer, if it goes through..
/rig
I was going to congratulate you but looks like your moving on already lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I was going to congratulate you but looks like your moving on already lol

Its the thought that counts. Its pure awesome, just not for me.
/rig
Well congrats.

I would kill for one...

Then again I prefer Jim to Mick lol so best I stick with my Orange.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Jim > Mick any day :P
HNAD mate.
Im so phobic of signature gear I refuse to buy a 5150 :P But I bet that Rivera really moves bowels.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by ChucklesMginty
You could always put an OD in front of Channel 2 for leads.

Yeah, I thought about that, and retubing and such. But if I'm not happy why try to stretch it to settle. I have a cash offer, hopefully it's legit and then we will see.
/rig
Quote by mespinos

Just curious, what could the Mark IV possibly be lacking?
Quote by enselmis

Br00talz.. R2 could use some work too. I loved my mark IV, but it was depressing using the ENGL fireball with it.. The fireball sounded so much heavier. (For chunky, thick rhythm, it can't touch the Mark IV with leads)

The Rivera was too tight and raw for me, it had the gain the mark IV lacked though.
/rig
Last edited by mespinos at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by mespinos
Br00talz.. R2 could use some work too. I loved my mark IV, but it was depressing using the ENGL fireball with it.. The fireball sounded so much heavier. (For chunky, thick rhythm, it can't touch the Mark IV with leads)

The Rivera was too tight and raw for me, it had the gain the mark IV lacked though.

R2 boosted pretty hard is great for Andy Timmons style leads I've found. I dont really think the IV lacks anything Although yeah, R2 could be better.
Quote by enselmis

Everything but leads

I dunno, the cleans are good if you want Jazzy, but they just sound sterile and lifeless IMO, R2 is completely worthless though, even with a boost, I couldn't get that channel to be anywhere usable for me, it has no balls whatsoever
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Killer amp dude I love Rivera stuff the only thing I may put over it would be a Fuchs Viper

Unfortunately amps such as these are all but out of reach for us Aussies i'll have to settle with a H&K DuoTone
Quote by mespinos
Yeah, I thought about that, and retubing and such. But if I'm not happy why try to stretch it to settle. I have a cash offer, hopefully it's legit and then we will see.
Good idea.

It's a bad habit to suggest that someone keep the amp they currently have and simply 'change the tubes' or 'put an overdrive in front of it' when they clearly don't fully appreciate the sound of the amp.

I'm not trying to have a go at anyone, I'm just saying that it's ridiculous trying to max a $3000 amp with different valves and a $150 stomp box. Get the right amp first, then think about adding to your tone. 2c.
When i seen the ''SEVEN'' in the picture i came.....you just need the ''SEVEN'' cabs now XD