Hey guys, I'm just looking to improve on my rig. I'm just worried about distorted rhythm tones currently.

My rig consists of:
peavey 6505+
Mesa 4x12 recto cab
Boss ns-2
bad monkey OD
Tuner
???

I just got the recto cab, and it is balls awesome. it's made my playing sound so much clearer. I'm just wondering if I really need any other pedals that are regularly used for a metalcore rhythm tone. thanks.

Edit: new problem, check last page i need help asap.
Last edited by Kryaxysa at Aug 20, 2010,
Really, your rig is awesome, and most people would kill for it. The only thing I can think of is getting an ISP Noise Decimator to replace that Boss, and maybe an eq.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
haha thanks, i've spent mad stacks on it. is the isp really that much better than the ns2? and i totally forgot about an eq, thanks.
yea dude look at like an mxr 10 band eq in the loop of the peavey, can do wonders. Honestly unless you need a tone for another genre you are pretty set. Personally i like a maxon od808 as my boost but thats just personal preference.
Guitars
Amps
I'd personally get a better OD. the badmonkey is not bad by any means. But if you are looking to get a little better MAxon makes some great boost for 6505. use it to boost the green crunch channel to get great rhythms
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
You would use the crunch channel for metal? I didn't personally like the feel of it compare to the lead channel
When you boost it with a a good OD it sounds great. Thats how most engineers and artist get that great metal chug for rhythms
Alright I'll definitely check that out. About how much gain should i be using with the OD?
Schecter Hellraiser EMG 81/89
Agile Septor Elite 725 EMG 707's
Peavey 6505+
Mesa recto 4x12 cab
Boss NS-2, Ibanez TS-9
Dunno its preference. Usually when i use a boost the drive knob is anywhere between 9 o clock and noon. level is anywhere between noon and 2
+1 for the EQ
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by Kryaxysa
haha thanks, i've spent mad stacks on it. is the isp really that much better than the ns2?

Well, it depends. If you've got the budget to throw around, then the ISP is the definite best choice. If not, you'll want to compare. In my experience, the ISP has always been better than the NS-2 (loses less tone), but the difference in quality for the price is kinda small.

Quote by Matt15f
yea dude look at like an mxr 10 band eq in the loop of the peavey, can do wonders.

That for EQ. The MXR 10 Band is an amazing EQ.
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
Yup, a good OD pedal would be about the best thing you could do, maybe some higher end tubes if your willing to fork over some cash.

Ibanez TS9 is a good one, not a fan of Maxon, even though they are an exact copy, lesser quality.

The Fulltone OCD makes a good boost pedal I hear.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yup, a good OD pedal would be about the best thing you could do, maybe some higher end tubes if your willing to fork over some cash.

Ibanez TS9 is a good one, not a fan of Maxon, even though they are an exact copy, lesser quality.

The Fulltone OCD makes a good boost pedal I hear.

Not trying to call you out but what?

They made the older ones and the old maxons are gems. The ones are no exception. The OD808 might be a little flimsy with the pots but not more than a New TS-9. Teh OD9 though is still a piece of work

I wouldnt use a OCD as a boost for something like a 6505. ITs better as a standalone OD(to over drive a clean channel)/ stand alone distortion. adds too much bass to be an effective boost for the 6505
Quote by mexican_shred
Not trying to call you out but what?

They made the older ones and the old maxons are gems. The ones are no exception. The OD808 might be a little flimsy with the pots but not more than a New TS-9. Teh OD9 though is still a piece of work

I wouldnt use a OCD as a boost for something like a 6505. ITs better as a standalone OD(to over drive a clean channel)/ stand alone distortion. adds too much bass to be an effective boost for the 6505

Yeah, but the new Maxons are pretty cheaply made, they may of been good in the past, but I personally don't think they kept the quality throughout the years.

The TS9 has it's own faults as well, sounding a bit fake and having cruddy input jacks, my input jacks started getting dirty within 2 years of owning it, I have yet to figure out how to prevent it.

With the OCD, that's just what I've heard, I have no idea if they actually work that well, cause I don't have $120 to buy one.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, but the new Maxons are pretty cheaply made, they may of been good in the past, but I personally don't think they kept the quality throughout the years.

The TS9 has it's own faults as well, sounding a bit fake and having cruddy input jacks, my input jacks started getting dirty within 2 years of owning it, I have yet to figure out how to prevent it.

With the OCD, that's just what I've heard, I have no idea if they actually work that well, cause I don't have $120 to buy one.

The OD 9 is still pretty good quality. Try one out for a while.

My TS-9 didnt get that problem. it got the problem of a loose drive pot. still wired and all just loose so the position in reference to the markings may not be right . The foot-switch plastic and metal also wore out
Quote by mexican_shred
The OD 9 is still pretty good quality. Try one out for a while.

My TS-9 didnt get that problem. it got the problem of a loose drive pot. still wired and all just loose so the position in reference to the markings may not be right . The foot-switch plastic and metal also wore out

That's strange, my TS9 is a block of steel, even the foot switch, solid steel, the knobs are plastic though, I chunk it about every now and then...I just now toss my Crybaby GCB-95, I hate that thing, can't hurt it though.

Is yours one of the newer one's, or the early 2000's one?
i bought the TS-9 in like 2006
Maybe try some passives in your schecter. Thats just my preferance though. How much money you got to blow?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by R.D
Maybe try some passives in your schecter. Thats just my preferance though. How much money you got to blow?

Eh well none currently, since i just bought that cab. I don't know if i'm willing to spend money for new pickups, I feel like the EMG's are great. What tubes do you guys recommend to upgrade to? I'm not willing to spend a ton of money since these tubes are between 3 and 4 months old. I'll also look into a ts9 or Maxon OD808
Peavey 6505+
Mesa recto 4x12 cab
Boss NS-2, Ibanez TS-9
I agree with some of the other suggestions here, a Decimator and perhaps a Maxon OD808. I had a 6505+ for awhile and if you can't get a good metal rhythm tone using it along with a Maxon, then something is wrong with your rig or playing! Give it a shot. Quality of my maxon hasnt been an issue at all.
Quote by Kryaxysa
Eh well none currently, since i just bought that cab. I don't know if i'm willing to spend money for new pickups, I feel like the EMG's are great. What tubes do you guys recommend to upgrade to? I'm not willing to spend a ton of money since these tubes are between 3 and 4 months old. I'll also look into a ts9 or Maxon OD808

Idk for a 6505, it's already a dark sounding amp, maybe a few mullard 12AX7's, Tong-sol 12AX7 to brighten it up, and some TAD power tubes possibly.

If you want good expensive tubes, look up Black Sable tubes.

http://www.tubedepot.com/bsct.html
ISP G String rather than the Boss. The G string will cut out both feedback and amp hiss, the Boss will too, but not as well as I've heard it sucks tone.
Quote by ethan_hanus

I've had my OD-808 for over a year now and it's been dropped, kicked, tossed around in a gig bag and it still works as well as the day I got it.
Unless your just trying to stick with the brootz a nice delay or a reverb pedal is pretty much a necessary addition to any rig. Again its just personal preference but seriously... delays are awesome, you should get one.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

thanks for all the replies. So i have a show in about... 2 hours and I'm having some problems with this new cab. I'm getting feedback, so i turn my ns-2 to 3 o clock and my decay to 9 o clock. then, when i'm palm muting something and letting it ring out, it doesn't ring out for more than a second before it turns into feedback. It's fine when i'm just playing riffs though. what settings should i use on it? I've got my pre amp at 5 and my post at about 3.
Peavey 6505+
Mesa recto 4x12 cab
Boss NS-2, Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Kryaxysa
thanks for all the replies. So i have a show in about... 2 hours and I'm having some problems with this new cab. I'm getting feedback, so i turn my ns-2 to 3 o clock and my decay to 9 o clock. then, when i'm palm muting something and letting it ring out, it doesn't ring out for more than a second before it turns into feedback. It's fine when i'm just playing riffs though. what settings should i use on it? I've got my pre amp at 5 and my post at about 3.

You have the threshold set too high... either that, or boost the signal going into it.
The ns-2 should be in front of your amp not in the loop and the last in the chain before going in.

Just get an ISP Decimator for up front and put the ns-2 in the loop for the hiss.
Quote by 667
You have the threshold set too high... either that, or boost the signal going into it.
The ns-2 should be in front of your amp not in the loop and the last in the chain before going in.

Just get an ISP Decimator for up front and put the ns-2 in the loop for the hiss.

I've got it set up in the X connection to gate the pre amp and the front. should i just set it up for the front or just for the loop? would that fix it?
Peavey 6505+
Mesa recto 4x12 cab
Boss NS-2, Ibanez TS-9
Oh, and if you can't dial in the ns-2, just get it the best you can and shut if off when you get to those parts of the song.
Quote by Kryaxysa
I've got it set up in the X connection to gate the pre amp and the front. should i just set it up for the front or just for the loop? would that fix it?

That might be your problem. Just try setting it up in front and forget about the effects loop for now. See if you can dial in the threshold better like that.
I remember trying that.. it works to a point. It's not really designed to do that though. The loop on the pedal is really for bypassing the circuit, like if you need to pass a delay or something that might clip (I think). But ya, it works, but not so great in some situations.
thanks, i'll definitely try that

Edit: just tried it, way too much hum from not gating the loop. for the future, should i just get an isp decimator for the front and use the ns-2 for the loop exclusively?
Peavey 6505+
Mesa recto 4x12 cab
Boss NS-2, Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by Kryaxysa at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by Kryaxysa
thanks, i'll definitely try that

Edit: just tried it, way too much hum from not gating the loop. for the future, should i just get an isp decimator for the front and use the ns-2 for the loop exclusively?

Ya that will do. Or shell out for a G string and sell the ns-2.
The isp is super transparent, just one dial and it works great.
The ns-2 should do fine in the loop. Just dont turn it up too much. Just to where the hissing stops.
Quote by Kryaxysa

You need to stand farther away from your amp, the closer you are to the amp the more feed back your gona get. Happens with all high gain amps.
Quote by Matt15f
yea dude look at like an mxr 10 band eq in the loop of the peavey, can do wonders. Honestly unless you need a tone for another genre you are pretty set. Personally i like a maxon od808 as my boost but thats just personal preference.

+1 to the MXR 10 band EQ

Think this has also been said, but go for a real TS instead.

Also, don't know what kind of pups you're using, but if you have passives, then look into some Bare Knuckle Pickups. Might be just what you need to add that icing on the cake.
Last edited by Nightgaunt at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by ethan_hanus
You need to stand farther away from your amp, the closer you are to the amp the more feed back your gona get. Happens with all high gain amps.

I'm standing like 15 feet away, that shouldn't be the problem. I'll mess with the settings i guess and look into a new OD pedal and another noise gate.
Peavey 6505+
Mesa recto 4x12 cab
Boss NS-2, Ibanez TS-9