Hey guys,

Ok so my other guitarist is planning on buying an amp soon and really can't afford to keep up with swapping tubes. What is his best option? It has to be a stack, but solid state.

It feels like sin to type this, but would his answer be a Spider?

So what head and what cab?

Thanks guys.

(BTW, just in case someone asks, he plays a 7321.)
What do you guys play? And what's his total budget? Tubes only need to be replaced once every 2-3 years unless they're the crap Bugera sends out. Stacks are also unnecessary and I'm very against them unless you have the money to buy a decent one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Why does it have to be a stack? Unless you're playing a stadium or large festival, a combo or half stack would more than suffice.

And like mmolteratx said, tubes don't need to be replaced that often. It's just the initial price of a tube amp that's the killer.
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
Ampeg VH140c and a Mesa cabinet.

Don't get a Spider, at all costs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ust make sure he buys something shittier than you have so you'll sound better lol jk
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
Ust make sure he buys something shittier than you have so you'll sound better lol jk

Fender Frontman with a DS-1. DO IT.

And yeah, what mmolteratx said. Tubes aren't something that need to be replaced very often if you treat them with care.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Fender Frontman with a DS-1. DO IT.

And yeah, what mmolteratx said. Tubes aren't something that need to be replaced very often if you treat them with care.

Lol agreed..I love ds-1s but they sound like ass through solid states lol well for that matter most distotrion pedals do hahaha...I remember buying a tube screamer along time ago before I had the 800 I had a valvestate 8100 half stack and I'm like ok this pedal is praised by legends it sounds like crap!! Lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think