I just started playing bass few months ago (self learn) and trying to learn how to pop and slap recently, but the slap sound on my bass sounds different from other ppl. I try youtubing the same bass but i just cannot get the correct slap sound that i hear from youtube. I always get a metal sound when i slap, i think its from the string when it hits the fret metal + without the heavy bass thump, but i don't hear that from any youtube.

Also, when i slap higher string, it doesn't have the bass sound anymore, just a very high pitch ringing. Is it the settings problem? BTW my bass is a vintage modified jbass squier. Please help me
hmm, sound clips would help. What amp are you using and how is it EQ'd. what are your knobs set at on your bass, how old are your strings, what kind of strings are you using?

from what you have posted I would say try and roll off the tone on your bass some.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
hmm, sound clips would help. What amp are you using and how is it EQ'd. what are your knobs set at on your bass, how old are your strings, what kind of strings are you using?

from what you have posted I would say try and roll off the tone on your bass some.

this. It seems like you're using way to much treble.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by the_perdestrian

What is a sound clip? My amp is a fender rumble 15 if i remember the name correctly. the EQ is all middle bass, mid and treble, bass setting is all max as well. My string from the day i purchase this bass is around 3 months old, standard squier vintage modified j bass string.
a sound clip is a short audio recording. Im gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume my wording made you overthink that.

your tone is set to max on the bass. well thats your problem right there. roll that back.
no sir away a papaya war is on
There's no problem with maximum on the tone on the bass. I usually have all knobs on my bass (also a jazz bass, but a Fender) on maximum for slap, sounds great. Do this for your bass. This gives a scoop in the mid frequencies as the pickups are out of phase which is a good sound for slap, and the tone up to maximum gives the sparkle. Personally I think the problem is the amp, Squier VM basses are good basses

Quote by streetrat
the EQ is all middle bass, mid and treble, bass setting is all max as well.

You need to learn how to use your EQ properly before you can even begin to find the right sound. Turn all the EQ knobs to 0. Now you are neither cutting nor boosting certain frequencies and giving the 'flat' sound of the amp. Now try slapping with the tone controls on the bass set to what I said before. I find that a jazz bass with all knobs on max with a flat amp gives a good basic slap sound. Does this sound any better?
Last edited by SuperMaximo93 at Aug 20, 2010,